Where are the Piet Folks Based...?

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
PatrickHoyt

Where are the Piet Folks Based...?

Post by PatrickHoyt »

Been interested in the Pietenpol for many years. Participated in a Piet build with a group of EAA Chapter 25 friends when I lived in Minnesota, and I attend Brodhead every year.

Recently moved to the Fort Worth, TX area where I am building a house/hangar/workshop on an airpark. Have built one airplane, which I flew here from MN. Another is under construction. Maybe a Piet will be #3...

Patrick Hoyt
Last edited by PatrickHoyt on Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
mstineman

Re: Where are the Piet Folks...?

Post by mstineman »

Hi Patrick, looking forward to this new forum.

Good luck with you're building.

Mike S
RobertP72718

Post by RobertP72718 »

Just joined and I wanted to say "Hi" from Fayetteville Arkansas.
I'm just a "wanta be" builder right now. I have wanted to build and fly
since the early 80's but due to work and family it has not worked out.
Now that I'm 62 and taking early retirement I plan to follow my dream
of building and flying.

Robert
cloudsurfer

Post by cloudsurfer »

Hello all,
Just stumbled upon this forum today.
Like Robert, I am a wannabe builder. Still getting my workshop sorted out, aquiring tools, and investigating some partially built projects that are for sale. Eager to get back to some low and slow flying in the future; a basic panel with no electrical. Look forward to chatting with you all.
Sean.
Burlington, Ontario
habickford

Post by habickford »

Hi all,
The latest newsletter indicated changes so a visit to the site ensued.

We're in the se corner of Nebraska by Auburn. We have a Piet in progress along with a Zenith. One of these days.... ;)
We have been attending the reunion since 2012 followed by OSH and plan to keep at it whether by driving or flying.

Harold and Edi Bickford
douwe blumberg

Post by douwe blumberg »

welcome all!

this is a great place for new builders to ask their questions

Douwe
English Johnny

Post by English Johnny »

I'm in good ole Blighty, England to you guys, started building about 5 or so years ago but haven't got very far. Some of you may remember me and my beautiful wife Helen visiting the Brodhead Reunion in 2011? I decided to start on the wings which for us Brits means building the Jim Wills 3 piece laminated spar wing which is nice however I am very slow and have just got to the beginning of wing assembly stage!
It's been an enjoyable process so far with difficult bits advised on by my friend Christian Bobka who is known to you guys,
I'm hoping this forum will inspire me to get on more quickly hence my joining the forum and post!!
I have a share in a 1951 L-18C Supercub which we fly from Redhill Aerodrome in Surrey, a genuine WW2 airfield, the Canadians were here a fair time.
Look forward to chatting with you guys.
English Johnny
Dennis Vetter

Post by Dennis Vetter »

West central Iowa, small town of Manson. I've got an A65 powered Pietenpol and my brother Larry has a corvair powered Pietenpol. We live a mile apart and both have farm strips. I'm also building another one. Fuselage & tail feathers are almost done. I'm laid up for a few more weeks and thinking I will build ribs next week.
Attachments
KIMG0522.jpg
KIMG0522.jpg (4.18 MiB) Viewed 21479 times
Last edited by Dennis Vetter on Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
at7000ft

Post by at7000ft »

English Johnny wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:50 am I'm in good ole Blighty, England to you guys, started building about 5 or so years ago but haven't got very far. Some of you may remember me and my
Keep at it Johnny, took me ten years. I was also at Brodhead in 2011, we probably passed by each other a few times there.

Rick H
Attachments
taternpiet.JPG
taternpiet.JPG (2.41 MiB) Viewed 21487 times
herbrose

Post by herbrose »

Hello Partrick!

I'm here in central Pennsylvania, 74 N, Bendigo Field. Wishing you the very best in your endavor of building a flying machine. If I can help yell. Mine took five steady years, but I think it was all worth it.

Herb Rose
Bendigo Field 74N
swainer74

Re: Where are the Piet Folks Based...?

Post by swainer74 »

Hello everyone,

I'm totally new to the "PIET" world just got my plans in the mail from Andrew Pietenpol. The wood kits for my vertical fin and rudder are on back order from Aircraft Spruce so I hope to start the build soon. I plan to power with an O-200 and like the look of the wood gear with the bike wheels. I'm located in the Chattanooga, TN area at KFGU. Also working on building my own 1300' grass airstrip.

Cheers,

Swainer74
Tools

Post by Tools »

Hey swainer,

I'm located just south of Chatt, nearest to GA77, next closest 9a5. Have a a65 powered Piet. Give me a shout, 423 580 1383, Mike Danford.

Can probably help with a few things. And always good to get together with other Piet folks.

Cheers,

Tools
aviken

Post by aviken »

Hey Robert , I live across the state from you near Jonesboro. I too waited a long time to build, I just turned 61 and just finished my pietenpol this past Sept, It took me almost 3 years and that is probably a little quicker than most . I am a crop-duster and farmer by trade so I have a lot of free time in the off season to build. Now I have quit farming and just have the crop dusting , so maybe I will have a little more time to enjoy life.
I would tell you that a pietenpol project is a very fulfilling thing and is probably the most fun I have had in a while.
RobertP72718

Post by RobertP72718 »

aviken wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:54 pm Hey Robert , I live across the state from you near Jonesboro. I too waited a long time to build, I just turned 61 and just finished my pietenpol this past Sept, It took me almost 3 years and that is probably a little quicker than most . I am a crop-duster and farmer by trade so I have a lot of free time in the off season to build. Now I have quit farming and just have the crop dusting , so maybe I will have a little more time to enjoy life.
I would tell you that a pietenpol project is a very fulfilling thing and is probably the most fun I have had in a while.
Hi Aviken
Good to know your around. I'm not a pilot at all unless you count RC planes. I was a truck driver until recently and had to take early retirement due to an injury. So now that I have time on my hands I'm going to get a Piet kit and start building.Just received my Piet builders manual Saturday. Hopefully it won't take to long to build so I'm still young enough to learn to fly. I plan on taking lessons while I'm building the plane so I would be ready. Crop dusting is so cool. I remember as a kid spending the summer at my grandparents cotton farm and loved to watch the old yellow PT-17's dust the fields. If I ever head that way I'll have to get hold of you and go see your planes.
MarkEMark2

Post by MarkEMark2 »

Well, I'm in Nashville TN now, and was just in Chattanooga today for a meeting. I started my Piet in Fresno CA and hung out annually with the Weat Coast Pieters before moving here. I moved to Nashville 2.5 years ago, and my project (a fully framed fuse) is in my storage unit waiting until I can buy a house. I had such a great set up in Fresno with a finished barn that I am wanting another set up like that here, and it's not that easy to find!

I'd love to connect with others in the TN area or close by. Gotta keep the dream alive while I'm dormant. I miss my Pieter friends at the west coast gathering 😔
Ken_Warren

Post by Ken_Warren »

Hello All,

I am in eastern Iowa and starting to embark on my first adventure building a Pietenpol. First thing I've noticed is the plans don't cover everything so I guess there must me a good deal of improvising. I hope everything works out for me and this doesn't take a lifetime to finish. LOL

Ken
Pat Weeden
Site Admin

Post by Pat Weeden »

Ken_Warren wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:01 pm Hello All,

I am in eastern Iowa and starting to embark on my first adventure building a Pietenpol. First thing I've noticed is the plans don't cover everything so I guess there must me a good deal of improvising. I hope everything works out for me and this doesn't take a lifetime to finish. LOL

Ken
Hi Ken, If you're in Eastern Iowa,be sure to com to the Brodhead Pietenpol Reunion July 21-22. You'll get lots of tips from other Piet builders there.
Pat Weeden, Site Admin
Brodhead Pietenpol Association
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

Ken;

Are you anywhere near Cedar Rapids? I have good friends there and besides offering whatever photos, opinions, and insight into Piet building I might be able to offer you from my lofty perch here in southern Oregon, my friends Dan & Linda Bunn in Cedar Rapids can offer you the best of any kind of tool sharpening... A 1 Precision Sharpening, 1111 Wenig Rd NE. One of the places that didn't get flooded by the Cedar River last year. No, the plans don't cover everything about building an Air Camper but that's just the point... in order to build one, you have to join with other builders in order to glean the wisdom from 85 years of building and flying these airplanes. It's as much about Piet people as it is about the airplanes that we build, fly, and love.
at7000ft

Post by at7000ft »

Ken_Warren wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:01 pm Hello All,

Ken
After staring at the plans long enough I found that they covered everything but seat belts, windscreens, and cowling and engine mount if you are not using a Model A engine. (The WW manual has great Covair engine mount plans if you are going that direction).

RH
danoliver

Post by danoliver »

Cincinnati
jklemin

Post by jklemin »

MarkEMark2 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:34 pm Well, I'm in Nashville TN now, and was just in Chattanooga today for a meeting. I started my Piet in Fresno CA and hung out annually with the Weat Coast Pieters before moving here. I moved to Nashville 2.5 years ago, and my project (a fully framed fuse) is in my storage unit waiting until I can buy a house. I had such a great set up in Fresno with a finished barn that I am wanting another set up like that here, and it's not that easy to find!

I'd love to connect with others in the TN area or close by. Gotta keep the dream alive while I'm dormant. I miss my Pieter friends at the west coast gathering 😔
I am building a Piet and will be in Clarksville in April. I'm now down in Fl sucking up the sun. John
E.Woodson

Post by E.Woodson »

I've been building for a little while now but slow and steady....
I'm in South Central LA....Louisiana that is, just across the lake from New Orleans in Madisonville.
Erik "Woody" Woodson
Training is good, but it's no substitute for experience...
Colonel Rosa Kelbb
cantdrawatall

Post by cantdrawatall »

I've just started my ribs but I'm looking forward to building a Chesapeake Piet.

Glen Burnie, MD
Steve D

Post by Steve D »

I reside in God's country the GRT. Heritage Airpark (TE86), New Berlin (Pronounced BUR-lin with the Texas drawl/German/Czech/Polish accent!) I have been restoring a Pietengrega (Pietenpol with some Grega modifications.) I am at the point of running the engine, hanging the wings, adjusting the wires and getting a Condition Inspection.

Funny how life keeps getting in the way. first it was that pesky military career thing and now that I am retired, it is a mix of family commitments, training for my follow on career (I am saving money to start my CFI) and money.
Alpo

Post by Alpo »

Robert, I have been gathering literature, preparing for when we finally finish making babies and can have some spare funds again before I can start my own build. I saw you were out of Fayetteville and thought I would give you a shout. Send me a pm and we can compare notes and I would definitely like to learn/help what I can from your builds. I believe your timeline is a couple of years ahead of mine.
Alex Wyatt
Prairie Grove, AR
RobV

Post by RobV »

Hi everyone, I'm in Fresno, California. I'm just starting the vertical fin from an Aircraft Spruce order. I've squirreled away 4 Model A engines in the shop and a 5th in a rolling 1929 Model A chassis.

Rob
Brian Amato

Post by Brian Amato »

I'm in Traverse City, Michigan. After messing around with other airplanes including building a Corben Jr. Ace, I'm finally getting to building a Piet.
Got all the ribs done and starting on the tail feathers. I'm also the guy who sells the Official Pietenpol Data Plate on Ebay and elsewhere.
Got the Model A Ford engine sitting on the shop floor and just finished the restoration of a 1931 Ford Model A Tudor Sedan (yes...Ford spelled it Tudor).
gseiter

Post by gseiter »

I'm building at 6TN1 about halfway between Nashville and Clarksville. There is another gentleman restoring one a few miles away.