2017 West Coast Pietenpol Gathering

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
taildrags

2017 West Coast Pietenpol Gathering

Post by taildrags »

First weekend in June, Frazier Lake Airpark, California. From Brodhead (C37), plot a true course of 247 to Frazier Lake Airpark (1C9), 1736 statute miles. Establish cruise speed of 65 MPH, arrive in 7 hours less than it took Lindbergh to cross the Atlantic. Those flying in on floats will find that 1C9 has a parallel water runway 5W/23W, 3000' x 60' wide, for you to splash down onto. Information below.
WCPG 2017.jpg
WCPG 2017.jpg (246.87 KiB) Viewed 4868 times
KTOWN

Re: 2017 West Coast Pietenpol Gathering

Post by KTOWN »

All,

Seriously bummed I will be returning from a "European Vacation" with my lovely bride and won't be able to make this years event! I hope to bring "The Fabulous Princess Di" (working title "The Piety Project") to next years event!

Cheers,
KTOWN
"The Piety Project"
Future name "The Fabulous Princess Di"
Wire wheeled
O-290G
N694YU (reserved)
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

Hello again, West Coast Pieters; well, I'm a very poor example for all of you as far as being fired up and ready to go to the Gathering, which is only about 9 weekends away. I have yet to pull my airplane out of the hangar this year, much less go fly it! We have had such a long, cold, wet, and yes, snowy winter that I have not had any desire to get up in that mess and chill myself to the bone with my hands frozen in place on the stick and throttle and my teeth chattering in the mic. Just this weekend it's gotten warm and dry enough for me to get out and start cleaning up the house and yard from the winter, and that leaves no time for airplanes. However, now that it's warming up I'm once again thinking about flying and that should be possible now that I'm catching up on work and chores.

This year I am in hopes of getting myself all squared away in the new FAA "BasicMed" rule that kicks in beginning May 1. I believe I qualify for it on all counts, so it may be a lot easier for me to stay current and fly my Air Camper with this deal in place. That gives me about 4 weeks before the fly-in to get my "BasicMed" in place and try to get a flight review so I'll be all squared away to fly myself and give rides, if anybody wants to go up in a plain-Jane Air Camper at the event. If I make it to Frazier Lake, I also plan to stand there jingling the keys in front of any current and qualified Air Camper pilot who wishes to fly 41CC for the purpose of personal education and information about comparative flight characteristics of my airplane vs. theirs. It is always useful to compare rides in order to learn more about these airplanes and their nuances, and I'm all for cross-pollination of ideas in this way. I have always said that my Air Camper belongs to this community almost as much as it does to me, and I hope that others get to fly and enjoy 41CC too.

Fingers crossed, maybe 2017 will be "the year" for me to get to Frazier Lake!
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

I am *not* typing this from Frazier Lake Airpark ;o( I am sitting in my office trying to wrap up several projects that have long since passed their deadlines, wishing I were at least at the airport.

So.... anybody out there have a report on the 2017 Gathering? Current weather for Hollister shows it clear and 82 degrees with winds at 11. Just wanting to get a report.
Pat Weeden
Site Admin

Post by Pat Weeden »

Anybody have pictures or a report from the West Coast Pietenpol Gathering? I'd like to include something in the next newsletter but would need by the end of this week.

Thanks!
Pat Weeden, Site Admin
Brodhead Pietenpol Association