Ramblings of an idiot

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
aviken

Ramblings of an idiot

Post by aviken »

I have been planning to call my DAR and bite the bullet and see if I can get this thing certified, classified, simonized , circiumsized, ect.
I have been doing some experimentation on the basic set up and it seems I will still have to do some more. My horsepower at this time is too weak to make the plane comfortable or safe to fly. Seems I only run at full power and climbing is very limited. I have flown the plane around 2 hours,several take offs and landings, so I know it will fly , I just need a few more horses. My idea is I could go ahead and get it inspected and then do the modifications later . I have bought a turbocharger and plenty of tubing bends to build the needed exhaust and intake, but this will be a major change to the whole front of the plane and I am avoiding this as long as I can. I have a few more ideas to try first, there is a high compression head that was made by the Kaiser company call the Kaiser SuperSonic head, it has to be good with a name like that . If I can chase one down it may give me another 5 -6 horse power , then with another better propeller might just be enough to get the job done without the turbo. My little Willys Jeep 134 may never be the engine I need but as I have said before I will keep trying as long as there is a chance , but you can bet with warm weather coming I am ready to fly not build. There is two local flyin's , one in May, and my own EAA chapter has its fly-in in June, and I want to make both.
taildrags

Re: Ramblings of an idiot

Post by taildrags »

Kenny;

These are not the ramblings of an idiot. They are the expressions of a dedicated builder and experimenter who also happens to be a VERY experienced aerial applicator with a LOT of time in aircraft operating at the edge of their performance envelopes in very challenging conditions. If anybody is qualified to know when an airplane is 'on the edge', it is YOU, sir! Good that you recognize that, so now let's work on this. If I can offer a couple of suggestions, they would be to (1) not even think about taking any passengers up until the airplane has its papers and you are happy with the climb rate and performance; (2) share with us what engine speed you are getting with the prop you have on it, along with how you are determining that.. with a mechanical tach, electrical tach, optical tach, or-?; and (3) keep in mind that the original Ford "A" powered Air Camper flew with a 'wet' empty weight of 625 lbs with the engine turning 1600 RPM and putting out an estimated 35 HP at that speed. How far off are you from that power output and empty weight? If you're not far off, then maybe you just need to look at the prop to get you farther up the power curve, which is published and which will tell us a lot about what your engine is putting out.
aviken

Post by aviken »

Thanks for the nice words. To answer your questions, The engine is turning almost 2200 in flight full power. The propeller is just over 63 inches long with a 32 pitch. The propeller is quite broad , I used a Hamilton standard 2D30 blade as a pattern , sized down of course. I believe there is quite a few horses left in the engine if I could get my rpms up, but I don't want to shorten the blades any further . My thoughts is to build another prop with a slimmer profile at about a 30 inch pitch, and see if I can get over the hump and more into the power range of my engine . Although the 134 L jeep engine is a flathead and similar to the model A somewhat , it was designed to get its power at a higher rpm. MY idea is if I could get it to around 2600 full power then It would fly comfortably at cruise at about 2300- 2250 range. Right now I would not think of hauling a passenger and I my go ahead and call my DAR and get my inspection. I can continue to tweak the thing later.
Clay Hammond

Post by Clay Hammond »

Keep working the prop angle. I think that will be your key. That little engine has the power, it just needs to be unlocked with the right airscrew.

Visit Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome
www.oldrhinebeck.org
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

This being experimental aviation, I don't believe the DAR will be grading you on the airplane's performance, but rather will be looking at workmanship, safety, and overall construction. You don't have to wait till it flies the way you want it to before you get it inspected. In fact, you jumped the gun by test flying it without an airworthiness cert...
aviken

Post by aviken »

Thanks Clay and taildrags. I am starting a new propeller now and I agree that truly believe the propeller is the key.