The Jeepenpol is ready for another test flight

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
aviken

The Jeepenpol is ready for another test flight

Post by aviken »

I have spent the last few days making more modifications to the Jeepenpol. I finished my new propeller and did a job I have been avoiding all winter and that was to turn a new prop hub out of a large chunk of aluminum on my lathe. I have been testing and using a hub I made out of three pieces of steel welded together then turned true. I of course never intended to fly behind this hub, but I have and it was probably ok but I think I won't push my luck any further. I know some of the more particular builders are shaking their heads and saying "what the hell is wrong with this guy", but I assure you I have a document that says I am a mechanic of good standing with the USA gubment, anyway I wont go further into that discussion.
I have removed the little extra radiator I added to the side to help cooling because I don't think it is needed now that I have the big 8N ford radiator , and the last time I flew the temps stayed low. This mod alone saved about 7-8 lbs off the front, the aluminum hub is about 3 1/2 lbs lighter than the steel one. The Maple prop is about 2 lbs heaver than the the walnut one so I have made a significant improvement in weight.
I called my DAR and have set up a visit for next week , so I may wait to try the new propeller after his visit like I am suppose to , (there goes those heads shaking again) . I am going to ask him if he will give me the four hours on the tach against the 40 hour restriction , but he probably wont, (he seems like he takes his work seriously). I mounted a used , but time remaining , ELT because when I asked if he would require one his one word answer was (yes), I replaced my aluminum data plate that I stamped out with a stainless data plate that I stamped out.
Another interesting development I will share, When I first mounted my first propeller, I used fine thread grade 8 bolts which I drilled for a cotter key and a castilated nut, and let me tell you it isn't easy to drill grade 8 bolts for a cotter key as the holes never line up just right (more head shaking?)
After a few messed up bolts I finally got six that would work , and I have used them ever since. When mounting my new prop I managed to strip one of the bolts , and because I am trying to replace all the temporary stuff , I ordered AN6-44 undrilled bolts and AN drilled nuts which I safety wired very nicely. Proud of my neat and safe job , I was telling another pilot friend of mine about the change and he mentioned, "Well you have the nuts safety wired , but the bolts can still turn and loosen,"
"Damn !" I didn't think about that , So I drilled the heads of the bolts and now they are safety wired front and back. I sure am hopeful that I can safely fly soon , I will update later . Kenny
Attachments
untitled (20).png
untitled (21).png
taildrags

Re: The Jeepenpol is ready for another test flight

Post by taildrags »

Kenny; when your airplane was signed off for its first flights, the inspector should have issued you the flight restrictions. Very important. During the first phase of flight testing, you don't have to ask anybody permission to make changes, and you don't have to get another inspection, or anything else except make a logbook entry.

Depending on your flight restrictions, you might need a reinspection if you don't fly off the test hours during the time stated (it used to be 12 months), but that would be the case for any other aircraft, experimental or certified. An annual condition inspection is required for all aircraft. The difference is that if you hold the Repairman's Certificate for your aircraft, or if you are an A&P, you can conduct the annual inspection, make logbook entries, and carry on.

After the first phase hours are flown off, your flight restrictions are eased. Typically, that means you can take passengers and you can fly beyond the small area that is typically assigned for the first phase. If you make a major change when you're in the second phase, you have to return the aircraft to the restrictions of the first phase (and possibly also notify the FSDO for your area, but you'll have to review your flight restrictions), but that return to Phase 1 is for a limited time and there is no re-inspection needed... a logbook entry stating the change that was made when returning to Phase 1, and another logbook entry when testing is completed. There are numerous webpages detailing these requirements, but the most important thing is that piece of paper that you were issued when the inspector signed off the airplane... the flight restrictions.
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

By the way, my reading on the matter does NOT find that changing props or prop hubs constitutes a "major change" anyway. Changing engines or changing from a fixed-pitch prop to a constant-speed prop (for example), would constitute a major change.
herbrose

Post by herbrose »

Good Morning!

From what I can tell from your pictures, I'm concerned that I don't see prop-drive lugs. I have attached several pictures of the hub I turned down, The importance of the drives is they drive the prop, not the bolts. Sensenich has a lot of detailed information about this and it has long since been the standard used. Using the prop bolts to drive the hub can/will cause heat to build up. Hope the information helps you.....build on.

HD Rose
Attachments
100_5581.JPG
100_5569.JPG
100_5568.JPG
100_5567.JPG
100_5566.JPG
100_5565.JPG
100_5564.JPG
100_5563.JPG
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

Kenny; please contact me offline, taildrags@hotmail.com , about getting some photos of your Jeepenpol. Thanks!