Trailing edge, Rudder

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
stephunk

Trailing edge, Rudder

Post by stephunk »

The plans (from Pietenpol) indicate the trailing edge of the rudder is made from 5/8 X 1 1/4 spruce. The plans also indicate that routing of 1/16" should be performed on each side, leaving the width at 1/2". My question is simply, if the top and bottom pieces of the rudder begin as 1" X 1" (I'm assuming they are also referred to as "main beam"), and routing of 3/16" is done on each side, the remaining width is 5/8". Am I being too anal to say the trailing edge and the upper and lower pieces will not match up when the gussets are fitted? Or, am I simply reading the plans incorrectly? Also, the 3/16" (thick) ribs will be too thick for a 1/16" routing, and simply wouldn't look as good as some that were fitted to 3/16 routing.

Along the same subject, would I be okay to use 1" X 1" for the rudder trailing edge, and rout 3/16" off both sides? Doing so would satisfy my hang up re the gussets - the routing and the pieces will simply fit better.

Perhaps I'm making too much of a small thing; I just need assurance that I'm doing it as should be.

Thanks, very much.

Stephen
Plano, Texas
danoliver

Re: Trailing edge, Rudder

Post by danoliver »

Stephen,
I was stuck on the same thing. I found that I had to taper a lot of pieces to get them to match up.
FullSizeRender-3.jpg
FullSizeRender-4.jpg
FullSizeRender-5.jpg
stephunk

Post by stephunk »

Dan, thank you very much. Your pictures cleared up a lot for me. Your workmanship, too, is a level of accomplishment that I hope to match.

Again, thank you for your time and effort.

Stephen
Plano, Texas
stephunk

Post by stephunk »

Dan, I apologize for asking, but I would love to see how you formed the top of the vertical stabilizer.

The craftsmanship displayed in your photos is a level I'll never achieve, but you've given me something to shoot for. I especially appreciate the way you incorporated the gussets in the corners of the rudder. Simply beautiful! And, as I said, your photos really answered a bunch of questions.

Again, my thanks.

Stephen
danoliver

Post by danoliver »

Check out Chris Tracy's site, West Coast Piet. Lots of photos of some amazing work.