First flight

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
BillMason

First flight

Post by BillMason »

NX32BM ---Made first flight from S12 at Albany, Or. Short flight and landing with no damage; been a while since I've tail
dragged from paved surface.
taildrags

Re: First flight

Post by taildrags »

Bill; congratulations on getting your airplane in the air! Looking forward to pireps from you on how she flies. By the way, what do your Phase I operating limitations say about your flight test area? Independence Airpark, 7S5, is only 15NM from Albany and there is a fly-in to Independence Aug. 18-21 that you might think about if that's inside your flight test area. I am registered for Saturday the 19th and am hoping to fly my Air Camper in. Monday the 21st is the big draw this year, that being the day of the solar eclipse. A group is planning a "day/night VFR" flight during the time the eclipse is occurring but I won't be there for that.
BillMason

Post by BillMason »

32BM now has 4.2 flight hours with landings improving; seems like a decent tail dragger so far. Climb rate is impressive but would be expected with the O-290 ;Way too much but kind of fun. Handles nicely in the air with easy co-ordinated turns.
Need to improve radio communication clarity in that noisy environment. Do any of you Piet flyers have that resolved??
Oscar, I have 25 mile phase 1, so I'm considering the Independence fly-in depending on test flights etc.
herbrose

Post by herbrose »

Congrats Bill! It's one thing to build a craft, it's an entirely different thing to fly said aircraft. Best wishes as you and craft become one.

Herb Rose 74N, Bendigo Field
at7000ft

Post by at7000ft »

Congrats on your first flight Bill. I found that a small leather microphone cover (Oregon Aero sells one, or you can make one) helps with the open cockpit noise when talking on the radio.

rh
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

This will probably date both me and the information in this post, but some time ago a builder/pilot posted that he had improved the mic noise problem by using an empty plastic 35mm film canister (which some of you may not have ever even seen). I believe it was Walt Evans who originally posted how he reduced the mic noise on his headset boom mic but I can't seem to locate the post. I found a "Reader's Digest" version of the post by Dan Yocum summarizing the concept:

1) cut an 'X' in the lid, big enough to let the mic pass through
2) push the lid over the mic
3) wrap the mic with gauze or soft, open cell foam
4) drill a small hole, 1/8-1/4" in the side of the cannister
5) place cannister over mic and snap on the lid
6) position the hole in front of your mouth and talk.

I think 1/8" would be too small to admit enough sound, but I've never tried it so I don't know. In response, Gene Rambo posted this pirep in January 2010:

"I tried the 35 mm film canister someone else on this list suggested....and....NO open cockpit noise, using a 40 year old headset & mic (cost me $20 12 years ago) Received reports from as close as 5 miles and as far away as 45 miles by pilots that could not understand me before, due to open cockpit noise. Try it, you'll like it. -Gene in Beautiful, snowy Tennessee."
NathanRollins

Post by NathanRollins »

It has been a little while since that first flight, but that's fantastic, Bill! My parents live behind S21 (right off Knox Butte Rd), and I was last up there for a family reunion for the eclipse. It would be so cool to see a Pietenpol flying above Albany!