Independence, Oregon fly-in

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
taildrags

Independence, Oregon fly-in

Post by taildrags »

I thought I had seen mention of the EAA 292 fly-in coming up next month, but maybe not. Scheduled for Aug. 18-21, the keynote event will be the solar eclipse on Monday the 21st. Here's the info: https://www.eaa292.org/fly-in .

The person who introduced me to Piets is Ernie Moreno and his airplane is based at Independence. He is a prolific builder, EAA Tech Counselor, and all-around good guy. I'm hoping to make the trek up I-5 to Independence on the Saturday of the fly-in and have started to prep the airplane. Flew it awhile yesterday to heat up the oil, then drained the sump and started checking to see what else needs doing before it gets annualed. I'll pull the oil screen, replace the ELT battery, inspect and lubricate all pulleys and cables, and so forth. I'm also going to install an engine breather oil separator. Tired of wiping oil mist off the windscreens and starboard side wing strut and landing gear leg, not to mention the belly. It's not a lot, but it seems to grab every speck of dust in the air, resulting in spots and grease.
taildrags

Re: Independence, Oregon fly-in

Post by taildrags »

Well, I made it to the Wings Over Willamette fly-in and back on Saturday. No glitches, no squawks, and no oil mist on the windscreens. Happy, happy! Headwind going up there, nice tailwind coming back. Including one fuel stop each way, I averaged 53 MPH over the 199 statute mile flight up there and rocketed back at an average of 66 MPH with that stiff tailwind. I can't believe the fuel consumption numbers that I cranked out because it all gets to be a blur when you're in the saddle that long, but suffice it to say that I can safely plan on 4 gal/hr cruise consumption if I run the A75 at around 2400 RPM. I am VERY pleased with the performance.

I tried to ride the strong tailwind as best as I could over the mountain ridges and while I gained speed and altitude nicely if I rode the wave staying fairly close to the terrain going up to the ridge, I paid for it in turbulence after coming over the top and going down the other side of the ridge. Quite bumpy on the backside of those things, and some of the time (it was late afternoon) I had both hands on the stick and just kept the ship as steady as I could until things subsided. It was exciting, the airplane rode it like a pro, but I wasn't so sure I should keep thinking that I was 20 or 30 years younger and should just take the safer and smoother route down the passes and valleys instead. Good sense did *not* prevail and I elected to ride the waves over the ridges and get home a little sooner than later.

Landings were "interesting" with the winds we had, but thank goodness all of my landings were almost directly into the wind. I was most concerned about my landing at the fly-in because I knew I would have dozens of attentive "graders" watching me. I tried to blank that all out and just keep my eyes on the numbers, manage airspeed, and prepare for the flare. It turned out pretty good and I decided to wheel-land it, which was a good choice. Everyone survived ;o)

No sooner had I landed than Ernie Moreno, the guy who introduced me to the Piet back in 2001, came out to guide me to parking. He told me that Bill Mason and his newly-completed Piet out of Albany, Oregon had just left minutes before I arrived. Bill's airplane has an O-290 on it and is said to have very impressive climb capability. Sorry I missed him, but I did get to taxi straight over to the parking spot that he had already warmed up for me. Glen Schweizer, also on this list, was right there to greet and assist with ground handling as well. Piet builder Mark Baxter was also there and he helped me get on my way when I left, hand-propping my engine after I fueled up.

As I was climbing to cruise altitude (2500') after departure, my long-time friend Paul Martin came shooting up into formation off my starboard rear quarter in his Tri-Pacer, got his speed adjusted to mine, and shot a good number of air-to-air pictures of me and the airplane in flight. I had also had Kevin Purtee form up with my airplane back in Texas when he still had his original Fat Bottom Girl, but he didn't pull in as tight as Paul did this time. Paul has done a good number of photo flights in formation, so I had no qualms about his skill and safety as I just held altitude, airspeed, and course. I will post a pic or two if they turn out, but I won't get them till Paul is back home Monday night. He was camping on the field, flying in a poker run today and staying at Independence until the eclipse on Monday before flying back. The path of totality of the eclipse will pass directly over the field.

I must say that after making a 199 mile flight with just one stop, the thought of making a 382 mile flight from Medford down to the West Coast Piet Fly-In now seems a lot more daunting than it did before. Not because of worrying about the airplane, but because of me not knowing if I could physically do it. Here we are in the middle of the hottest part of the summer and I was thoroughly chilled on the morning flight over to Independence. I had a jacket on over a fleece and tee shirt with everything zipped up tight, flying gloves, flying helmet- but it got COLD! My rear end is quite sore and I have other old-man crankiness about the "accommodations" and lack of flight attendant and amenities on the flight. I guess to a real Pietenpoler, all that just means "be better prepared next time, dummy!"

It was worth it, the scenery in both the mountains and the very broad Willamette River Valley were beautiful, and I am an Air Camper pilot. Life is good!