Mounting radiator

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
CuBob

Mounting radiator

Post by CuBob »

Has anyone mounted a radiator below or behind the engine? I don't like the idea of a hot radiator just a few feet from my face. If you have spec's and pics would be appricated.
Bob
taildrags

Re: Mounting radiator

Post by taildrags »

Bob; all of the Subaru installations that I've seen have the radiator down under the engine, so you might look at those to get some ideas. John Dilatush's (now Greg Bacon's) Piet is a good case in point. Go to www.westcoastpiet.com and the Pictures page, then scroll down to the J's to find John/Greg's. "Picture15.jpg" and "P6210013.jpg" on that page pretty much tell the tale of how he did his.
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

Also -and I am no expert on water-cooled engine operation- be prepared to deal with ironing out cooling problems that might crop up from having the radiator mounted below the engine. The Model A engine setup has the water pump below the level of the radiator, so it's always got a positive gravity flow of the coolest water in the radiator into the water pump. Similarly, air and vapor collect at the highest point by virtue of basic fluid mechanics, so it's easier to fill the system and prevent vapor pockets during operation. With the radiator mounted below the engine, the water has to be pulled up into the pump and accommodation has to be made for something like a small header tank where air and vapor can be collected and the system can be filled. If the water in the radiator is very hot, the reduced pressure created by the water pump suction can lead to pump cavitation, which leads to reduced cooling effectiveness and can make the situation even worse. Just things to consider, not that they can't be overcome and dealt with.
CuBob

Post by CuBob »

I can see that trying to use a radiator system will end up being more hassle than it is worth. Thanks for the info.
Bob