Trying to restore Hurricane Harvey damaged GN1

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
Corpus Flyer

Trying to restore Hurricane Harvey damaged GN1

Post by Corpus Flyer »

Hello fellow Piet enthusiasts. I have been away from the Piet forums for a long time. The forum has always been a tremendous resource of ideas, sharing of information and fellowship. What brings me back online is my desire to rebuild my 1985 Grega GN-1. One month ago today, August 25th, it was heavily damaged when Hurricane Harvey struck the San Patricio County Airport (T.P. McCampbell) in Ingleside, Texas. I lost a Piper Tomahawk, two motorcycles and a 1968 Ford Mustang when the storm totally destroyed 10 hangars. Now that the house, fence and other home related damage has been repaired, I want to get my GN-1 flying again.

Hurricane Harvey also destroyed all my plans, pictures, engine parts, tools and building related materials. The wings and ailerons will have to be rebuilt. There are some broken ribs where hangar support beams fell on it. Before I strip off the fabric and start building, I need a set of plans to study. I may even put in doors. At age 68, it is getting a little more challenging to get in and out of the Piet.

I guess at this point, I am just looking for some ideas as to how to proceed. I have pictures of the overall damage and some of the Piet. I will go out and take close up pics the next time I am out at the airport. The hangar has been condemned by the county and it is difficult to remove things because of loose sheet metal and heavy beams are still swinging in the wind.

Anyway, thanks guys for listening. Keep up the great work on our planes. You don't realize what a great airplane it is until you lose it.

Mike King
Corpus Christi, Texas
(361) 696-1585
taildrags

Re: Trying to restore Hurricane Harvey damaged GN1

Post by taildrags »

Mike; I have a set of GN-1 plans sitting in my hangar. Get with me, let me know where to send them, and I'll get them out in the mail to you. Let's get the repairs underway on that airplane!
taildrags

Re: Trying to restore Hurricane Harvey damaged GN1

Post by taildrags »

Mike; by the way, our son Matthew (boat captain and fishing guide) lives in Port Aransas, right across the channel from you. Believe me, we know what Harvey did, and how much mess there is to clean up! In Port A, they haven't even touched the boats and harbor yet... still trying to take care of homes and businesses. But the good news is that they were able to reopen "The Back Porch" (favorite local bar) last Saturday ;o) Here's a shot from what used to be a home.
truck.JPG