Engines

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
donaldawillie@gmail

Engines

Post by donaldawillie@gmail »

So, I'm brand new to this. Been stick and kit building models for 25 years. I'm ready for something a little more challenging. The first question... I'd like to know more about engines that have been successfully used in the pietenpol air camper. I'd love to know what all my choices are. Thanks!
taildrags

Re: Engines

Post by taildrags »

Donald; I doubt that anyone will argue that the three most popular engines on Air Campers are the water-cooled inline Ford "A", the flat air-cooled Continental A65, and the flat air-cooled Corvair. However, there have been a vast number of different engines used on this airframe. I wrote a brief engine overview a few years ago and a PDF of it is available for viewing here: http://www.flysquirrel.net/piets/engine/Pietengines.pdf . Apparently, this list does not permit the attachment of PDF files.
donaldawillie@gmail

Post by donaldawillie@gmail »

Thank you so much. Some invaluable info here. It got me thinking of electric power. I have a friend who has designed and built a couple of electric cars. I know the powerband ample flight time can be achieved. I'll keep you posted on my progress. Between time and money this will be a long time project for me. Thanks again!
ke6iyc

Post by ke6iyc »

Regarding Corvair motors, has anyone put a TBI fuel injection system on one in a Pietenpol?

Curious of any performance issues or enhancements.

Thanks in advance,

Brian
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

Brian; I don't know of anyone who has run an injected Corvair in a Piet. However, there is a separate discussion group dedicated to Piet/Corvair builders and pilots so you may inquire about joining that list and see what they know about the subject. Terry Hand is on this list and is the moderator, so private message him about that list. jarheadpilot82@gmail.com is his email.
EAB4

Post by EAB4 »

Hi Brian,
lots of good info on this site

https://flycorvair.net/?s=fuel+injection

Earl