nifty nicopress trick

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
taildrags

nifty nicopress trick

Post by taildrags »

I don't know how many of you get the weekly tips and tricks emails and linked videos from HomebuiltHELP.com , but they posted a really nice one today about how you can use your ordinary everyday Cleco pliers as a third hand to help make thimble ends on your cables. No modification of the pliers is needed. While it requires that you make the crimp while on the bench, my guess is that clever builders will find a way to use the same trick with the cable on the airplane, by somehow clamping the pliers to the airframe. Here's a link to the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m5v9ME ... e=youtu.be
KenBickers

Re: nifty nicopress trick

Post by KenBickers »

Oscar, I too saw this "helpful hint". One of the old-timers, when I was early in my Pietenpol build, showed me a much, MUCH, easier way of holding all the pieces together when making cables. Lowes, Home Depot, and other supply houses sell "copper split bolts" under a variety of brand names for around 3 1/2 dollars each. With one of these, it is straightforward to get everything exactly right before applying the nicopress tool. Better, it can be done anywhere, no need for a bench press or awkward device holding cleco pliers to a standing cable. cheers, Ken
Attachments
IMG_1422.JPG
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

Yes, another good trick! I thought the Cleco plier trick had the benefit of holding everything in place independent of the sleeve that is to be crimped, but you're right- being able to work away from the bench and vise probably make the split bolt method much more versatile.
tom kreiner

Post by tom kreiner »

Interesting that you should bring this up, Oscar!

I've recently made drawings of an Acme thread clamp system - derived from a 1930's tool - to hold the cable, sleeve and thimble in a vise whilst crimping...

My intention is to either provide drawings, or completed tools for sale to the homebuilt aircraft enthusiasts who will be creating dozens to hundreds of ends as you describe. The only issue with "rolling your own," is that you'll need a Stub Acme Tap, and Stub Acme screw stock to make one unit, which becomes WAAAAAAAAAy more expensive than my completed device will sell for.

If anyone is interested, please reply, and I can add drawings when they are completed.