Wing trailing edge

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
Richard Roller

Wing trailing edge

Post by Richard Roller »

Hi everyone. I'd be interested in how different builders have made and attached their trailing edges. I'd like to see pictures. I'm interested in all types, metal, wood. Composites edges? I'm trying to commit to starting construction and this area has been fuzzy for me for years. The only Piet that I'm very familiar with is Ken Perkin's N34KP. He has a metal trailing edge bought online. It works great but is easy to damage/dent. I'd like to see other builders solutions and hear their thoughts behind why they did it that way. Thanks all.
Rob

Re: Wing trailing edge

Post by Rob »

Richard,
Here are some pictures of my trailing edge. I didn't want any lumps in the fabric with gussets and wanted a smooth transition. Made tongue and grove. Made a jig to hold my ribs and cut slots on router after the ribs were completed. I made a pattern of what I wanted for trailing edge and took some spruce strips to a wood shop that had a moulding cutting CNC machine. They made a cutter to my profile and then cut them out. They came out perfect and straight. It seems plenty strong enough and sturdy.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Rob Stoinoff
Owner Stoinoff's Restorations
Batesville, Indiana
www.stoinoff.com
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

Absolutely gorgeous work, Rob. Artistry in wood!
Richard Roller

Post by Richard Roller »

Rob, I was trying to estimate the size of the tongue on your trailing edge piece. 3/8" wide by 1/4" thick? Would you tell us?
Richard.
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

Richard; I'll bet you're right, since the rib capstrips are 1/2" wide by 1/4" thick and the tongue on his trailing edge looks just a bit narrower but about the same thickness.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Yes Richard, it is 3/8 long by 1/4 thick.

Thanks Oscar
Rob Stoinoff
Owner Stoinoff's Restorations
Batesville, Indiana
www.stoinoff.com
Brian Amato

Post by Brian Amato »

Those are terrific Rob !!!
at7000ft

Post by at7000ft »

JesterGrin

Post by JesterGrin »

Beautiful Wood work but there is one proplem. I do not know of a good clear covering to show it off with. :).