Whatever Happened to...

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
Pat Weeden
Site Admin

Whatever Happened to...

Post by Pat Weeden »

From the E-mail Inbox...
Hi nice people,

I am trying to find out whatever happened to my best friend's Pietenpol. His workmanship was so beautiful that it was a shame to cover it. I think he got one or two flights on the bird when he suddenly died. His widow sold the plane but that's as far as I know. His name was Don Hicks and his widow Clara. He lived in Dothan, Alabama and flew out of the strip there.

I don't want to buy the plane and I have no vested interest in the plane. I assisted Don in covering the plane and I was just curious as to the present owner, where the plane is, if the new owner kept the Model A engine, etc.

I live in Reno and am restoring a 1941 Interstate Cadet. I ran across some photos of the engine test stand the other day and it roused my curiosity about Don and the plane. He was my best friend. He and Clara are gone now but the plane is around somewhere.

If you would be so kind as to pass this on to the Piet group and if someone knows the whereabouts of the plane, please get in touch with me. Either email or 775.825.6445

Thanks,

Gene deRuelle
deruellegene1954@gmail.com
Pat Weeden, Site Admin
Brodhead Pietenpol Association
Terry Hand

Re: Whatever Happened to...

Post by Terry Hand »

Pat,

I posted this on facebook, and got a quick response. For any one interested, the aircraft is registered as N920Y and is on the westcoastpiet website.

Thanks to Scott Liefeld and Gary Boothe.
Semper Fi,

Terry Hand
Athens GA
Pat Weeden
Site Admin

Re: Whatever Happened to...

Post by Pat Weeden »

Thanks for running with this, Terry.
Pat Weeden, Site Admin
Brodhead Pietenpol Association