ASI question

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
RonTurner

ASI question

Post by RonTurner »

I have an air speed indicator question? The ASI in WR-1 isn't working. I have a United Instruments 8000 0-120 ASI that would fit. My question is the static port on it has a brass plug in it? Pressure port has a line fitting. Should the static port be reading atmospheric pressure?
taildrags

Re: ASI question

Post by taildrags »

Ron: yes, absolutely... the instrument compares ram air pressure to static air pressure to come up with an airspeed indication, so the static port has to either be open to the cockpit or else have a tube run from it to a static port on the side of the fuselage. Check that brass plug again though: it might have a tiny hole drilled in the center of it to act as a restrictor.
RonTurner

Post by RonTurner »

Thank you soooo much Oscar!! It does have a very tiny hole in it. I feel better about installing it now!! Thanks Ron.
RobV

Post by RobV »

Just my two cents. Best practice is a static port on the side of the craft, pressure in the cockpit can change based on various things thus changing the reading on your ASI.

Hope that helps.