Sitka Spruce

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
JimBob

Sitka Spruce

Post by JimBob »

Is there a source of 1" Spruce from anyplace other than Wicks & Aircraft Spruce?
Nothing against either of these companies, I'm just weighing my options.
I have some very nice 3/4" x 12" but have not been able to find any 1" for the Longerons.
Hoping to find something not so darn expensive.
taildrags

Re: Sitka Spruce

Post by taildrags »

Unless you're clear over on the East coast and don't have a friend who is a trucker, you might try Edensaw Woods in Port Townsend, WA. Other builders have gotten spruce from them.

www.edensaw.com
r1200gsDave

Post by r1200gsDave »

I got all the sitka for my plane in Madison Wisconsin at McCormicks Lumber.

https://mccormicklumber.com/

They only sell by the whole board. Usually 5 quarter and 9 - 12" wide, 18 - 24 foot long. The last one I bought there had a nasty split so they let me only buy the good part which was about 8 foot long, which was really nice because I only a bit to finish my wings. I get marine plywood there too.
JimBob

Post by JimBob »

I did end up biting the bullet and purchased the fuselage kit from Aircraft Spruce. I must admit, the quality of the wood I received is top notch. Packing / crating was also very well done. I was concerned that all that soft wood would get damaged in transit but this was so well protected I don't think anything could have harmed it. Will be getting the rest of the kits from them in the future.
ahawks9er

Post by ahawks9er »

From one Noob to another - thanks for posting the follow-up on this, JimBob. I'm still eyeballing wood kits on ACS. Glad to hear you had a good experience.