Pre-building paperwork/registration/how to keep from doing anything illegal?

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
Caleb Flores

Pre-building paperwork/registration/how to keep from doing anything illegal?

Post by Caleb Flores »

I want to build a pietenpol when I am older and it is more within my capabilities to do so, but I am concerned about how I can do it without being fined into bankruptcy and/or landing myself in jail for the rest of my life (pun intended). What kind of certification should I attempt to obtain/paperwork do I need to complete before I even think of building a plane in my backyard? Obviously besides an actual pilot's license. Also what kind of cost range and skill set do I need to be considering? Thanks in advance to anyone taking time out of their busy day to reply!
taildrags

Re: Pre-building paperwork/registration/how to keep from doing anything illegal?

Post by taildrags »

Caleb; you can build anything you want to in your backyard, as long as your building restrictions allow it. From the aviation side of things, you don't need any sort of license or permission to build an experimental amateur-built "homebuilt" airplane, or parts of it, anywhere you like. My advice would be for you to study about what you want to build before you start it, and once you do, keep a building log with photos and notes. If you make it to the point of completing an airplane that you will present to the FAA for inspection, they will want to see your log in order to prove that you built it or at least had a hand in building it. There are more details about why you want to be the person who does most of the building on it, but for now rest assured that you won't go bankrupt or get thrown in jail for building your dream.

You don't need a pilot's license to build an airplane. You can start building basic parts of your airplane without spending a penny, if you're good at scrounging materials and parts and you're patient.
taildrags

Re: Pre-building paperwork/registration/how to keep from doing anything illegal?

Post by taildrags »

And Caleb, PS- find someone else who is building an airplane and visit them to see how it works. It might also get you a ride in an airplane, or at least you can sit in one and get the feel of it. Let others on this list know where you're located and you might be surprised to find that there are other builders and pilots not too far from where you are.

Good luck!