Laced Wheels

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
r1200gsDave

Laced Wheels

Post by r1200gsDave »

I have some rims that I what to use and I am about to make the Frank Pavliga hubs. I have read just about every thing I can on the subject but there is a small bit that seems missing.

What diameter is the spoke hole on the hub?

Also how does one figure out how long the spokes are?

I am sure that I have skimmed over the important details (once again)....

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Dave
EAB4

Re: Laced Wheels

Post by EAB4 »

Dave

the spoke holes depend on the size (gauge) spoke you want to use. 8 or 9 gauge seem to be typical sizes, the holes will need to be slightly larger to accommodate the elbow of the spoke, and will also need to be countersunk for the spoke head.

There are actually a bunch of measurements from the hub and rim you need to figure out the actual spoke length.

These guys have done a lot of Piet wheels and can help you out: http://www.buchananspokes.com
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

Dave; if you subscribe to the BPA Newsletter (and you should!), John Egan of Greenville, Wisconsin has written up a nice little summary of all the parts and pieces that he used to make his 19" spoked wheels. Your rims and hubs may not be the same size as John's, but at least you'll get a frame of reference as to how he made his and how the spokes are laced, whether you will have brakes or not. I don't see any pictures of John's airplane on the Westcoastpiet.com site, but it's a very nice place to get information by looking at photographs of other airplanes and you should be able to find some enlightenment just by going through some of the photos on that site.
gcardinal

Post by gcardinal »

Lots of good info right here:

http://www.westcoastpiet.com/wire_wheels.htm

Greg Cardinal
Minneapolis
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

See? I just *knew* there was going to be some excellent information on Chris Tracy's Westcoastpiet site! That information on spoked wheels is great. Like a Woolworth store, you can find everything on Westcoastpiet ;o) Probably with a little time and enough digging, you can find the formula for a gasoline blend that will get you 100 mpg in your Ford, and probably also an elixir made of Marvel Mystery Oil and antifreeze that will cure everything from a botched landing to get-home-itis. A homemade tool that you can use to stretch a glide and a tuning fork that lets you get those brace wires perfectly tensioned. Everything.
r1200gsDave

Post by r1200gsDave »

Thanks everyone! I will post some pictures when I get something ready.
VincentDunn

Post by VincentDunn »

Here's an email from Buchanans Spoke and Rim from June 2018. I had emailed them to ask about what size the spoke holes should be. They're really helpful and did a fantastic job lacing the rims I bought online to the hubs I had made to order.

Hi Vincent.

The 9 gauge wire is .142" in diameter but the rolled thread is .157". To allow the bend to sweep through the hole means the hole must be at least .165". As for chamfering the holes, certainly this is recommended. If possible, both sides. If the flange is under 1/8", breaking the sharp edge is all that is needed. At 1/8" or thicker, a notable chamfer of at least 1/32" should be done on the outer face, on the backside if possible.

Another point of drilling spoke holes in the hub. Each flange will have 20 holes (for a 40 spoke wheel) spaced 18 degrees apart. Each flange will have 18 holes for a 36 spoke rim spaced 20 degrees apart. Make sure to shift the pattern of one flange to the other by half that amount so that the holes on one flange fall between the holes of the opposing flange.

I hope this helps, if you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

With best regards,

Kennie Buchanan