Wing leading edge

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
stephunk

Wing leading edge

Post by stephunk »

I have progressed to the point of building the center piece of a 3-piece wing. I need help with how to shape the leading edge. How did you do it?

Thanks,

Stephen
Plano, Texas
danoliver

Re: Wing leading edge

Post by danoliver »

I used a table saw to cut the basic shape. I think four or five angles? Then after gluing the leading edge plywood in place I just sanded it. And sanded it. And then sanded a little more. No power tools mind you, just a nice flat 18" long sanding block. You might be suprised to know that your eye is much more accurate than any tool you have in your shop. Eye ball it.
stephunk

Post by stephunk »

Thank you very much, Dan! You confirmed my thoughts; I saw no other way, but because I'm new at this, I was hoping there was another way.

Again, thank you!

Stephen
Plano, Texas
at7000ft

Post by at7000ft »

stephunk wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:48 pm I have progressed to the point of building the center piece of a 3-piece wing. I need help with how to shape the leading edge. How did you do it?

Thanks,

Stephen
Plano, Texas
Ripped mine on the table saw three sided, attached it then ran the block plane down the entire length at a time to the right shape.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1Y1jV ... sp=sharing

Rick H
psiegel

Post by psiegel »