closing the gap between center section and wings?

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
jerryc

closing the gap between center section and wings?

Post by jerryc »

I about ready to finish rigging and then covering the gap. Concerned about small pk screws into the thin wing ribs. Any suggestions out there?
taildrags

Re: closing the gap between center section and wings?

Post by taildrags »

That's how my airplane was built... PK screws that hold aluminum gap cover strips go directly into the wood. Not saying it's the best way, just saying it's the way 41CC was built and is flying.
KenBickers

Re: closing the gap between center section and wings?

Post by KenBickers »

On mine, I applied a piece of 4" Ceconite tape along the length of the gap, which was then masked and painted (using a small paint roller) to match the wings and center section. I did have to remove the wings a few years ago. To do that, I applied a sharp knife to the tape along the gaps. When the wings went back on, I glued another piece of 4" tape exactly where the first had been. A bit of masking and painting, it was as good as new. No screw holes; no fairing to bend away. From 10 feet away (okay, maybe 20), it looks like a one-piece wing. At condition inspections, I poke the lens of a boroscope between the bottom of the spar stub of the center section and the fabric. This lets me get a good look at the fasteners. Cheers, Ken