Nut Plates in The Empennage

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
r1200gsDave

Nut Plates in The Empennage

Post by r1200gsDave »

I am trying to figure out he whole chicken and egg thing with getting the covering under the hinges and having the the hinges attached and cotter pinned in...

How can this be done? I have ripped off all the covering that I have done, for various reasons. Turns out that I ma a better carpenter than fabric guy....

Nut plates seem like the way to go. So instead of crown nuts and cotter pins, is Loctite OK?
Terry Hand

Re: Nut Plates in The Empennage

Post by Terry Hand »

Here is a link to a discussion on the Matronics forum of a similar topic. People posted their solutions -

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ht=loctite

This forum is becoming better and better each day, and a lot of it is because of the good questions asked by builders like you. Just do not forget that there is a wealth of information in the archives of the Matronics Pietenpol Forum. You can join there and access it from their website, or you can access it from this website. In fairness, I have not searched the archives from this website directly. It may be just as easy. Frankly, I just don't know, but give either method a try!
Semper Fi,

Terry Hand
Athens GA
Pat Weeden
Site Admin

Post by Pat Weeden »

Terry Hand wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:41 am In fairness, I have not searched the archives from this website directly. It may be just as easy. Frankly, I just don't know, but give either method a try!
The search function on this site wasn't working well until a few weeks ago. It's pretty slick now.
Pat Weeden, Site Admin
Brodhead Pietenpol Association
r1200gsDave

Post by r1200gsDave »

Thank you very much!
Brian Amato

Post by Brian Amato »

Our friend Oscar (Taildrags) recommend nut plates to me and that's what I used.
I found some terrific "aircraft grade" 6-32 nut plates on e-bay for not much money. (photo attached) and they worked just great.
Let me back up here....I'm using the cast aluminum hinges Oscar sells and they are sized for a 6-32 countersink head machine screw...through the hinge...on thru the wood and into a nut plate on the back side of the wood. The nut plates I used have two small holes already in both of the "legs" of the plate intended for either a rivet or screw. I found some little #4 wood screws yesterday and that's what I captured the nut plates to the back side of the wood with. They won't move. If I have to tighten the machine screws holding the hinges to the tail feathers, the plates won't move and I don't have to put a slit in the fabric.
As my daughter says "easy peasy"
https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-32-Self-Lock ... 1438.l2649