Corvair Campers with wood props

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
taildrags

Corvair Campers with wood props

Post by taildrags »

Here's a question for those of you who are flying a Corvair-powered Air Camper with a wood prop. What diameter and pitch prop are you flying? I've gone through the photos such as on the Westcoastpiet site and Flycorvair, but there isn't much prop information given. I'm fairly certain that people like Shad Bell, Hans Van der Voort, P.F. Beck, and one or more of the Big Piets all fly (or flew) with wood props.

A builder has asked me for the Corvair wood prop information so he can get a better idea of what to look for when he acquires a prop for his CorvAir Camper.

Oscar Zuniga
Medford, OR
NX41CC, A75 power
Lorenzo

Re: Corvair Campers with wood props

Post by Lorenzo »

Oscar, I have not flown mine yet, so take this for what it is worth. I have carved my prop according to Dan Helsper's 'power tool' instructions. Before I did any carving, I calculated the 'ideal' prop according to standard prop design equations. With input for 100HP (Corvair), 3150RPM, and 90MPH the ideal prop is calculated to be D=62.56 in. and P=34.29 in. (If you try to use any of the formulas, be sure to keep your 'units' straight) I also examined other successful flying examples before choosing the actual numbers to carve. Without naming names, I found 64/33, 66/34, and 64/34 as good performing props. I chose 63/34.5.

Lawrence Harris, Tellico Plains, TN
Pat Weeden
Site Admin

Post by Pat Weeden »

Hi Oscar,

Asked a couple guys around here who are flying Corvairs with wood props, and here's what they have:

Bernard's "Last Original" is a 66YCL30 or 66" long and 30" pitch.

Tom Brown's prop is 66" long and "around 28-30" pitch". Tom emphasized that his Corvair is a Pietenpol conversion and not a William Wynne conversion. This prop would be under-pitched for a Wynne conversion due to the higher horsepower.

Pat
Pat Weeden, Site Admin
Brodhead Pietenpol Association
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

Excellent information, thanks to all who replied! Our friend Down Under is looking into getting a prop made for his PietenVair and now has some very solid data points.

-Oscar
at7000ft

Post by at7000ft »

I am using a Tennessee 66x30 on my 2700 WW Corvair. Flying at higher altitudes in CO I get 2800 static on the ground and 3000 full throttle cruise.

Rick H