Pietenpol-List: PIET: A-65

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
Locked
matronics
Posts: 81779
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:29 am

Pietenpol-List: PIET: A-65

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Rcaprd(at)aol.com
While we are on the subject of A-65's, does anyone know the steps onconverting a Cont a-65 to an A-75? (or where to get it?)I have a factory new A-65 that has been in a crate for 37 years. Crank,cam, carb, case etc. all new, not rebuilt. The only problem all fourpistons have four cracks on each side radiating out from the wrist pinholes. Go figure! The engine was all in cosmoline and in a crate with ashingle roof like a dog house. All holes covered with leather patches. Thespark wires have a permanate "set" in position, but quess I could afford newones.Thought if I were to buy new pistons, I would just buy the ones for a 75hpinstead 65hp. Haven't bought a prop yet either.Barry Davisbed(at)mindspring.com ________________________________________________________________________________

matronics
Posts: 81779
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:29 am

Pietenpol-List: A-65

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Kirk Huizenga"
Subject: Pietenpol-List: A-65Pieters,My Lyc 235 deal did not come through as promised soooooooooooooo I am searching for a 65 Continental for REPIET. Runout, overhauled or removed all OK just needs to be a complete engine.Will appreciate your help and I will give a bonus of your flying 41CC anytime, fuel paid.Corky in La ________________________________________________________________________________Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 10:42:06 -0600

matronics
Posts: 81779
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:29 am

Re: Pietenpol-List: UV test of Latex Paint

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Kirk Huizenga"
Excellent report Kirk,,, I wish now I hadn't used the grey base on the fuse,made for a lot more work and paint.Carl----- Original Message -----

matronics
Posts: 81779
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:29 am

Pietenpol-List: UV test of Latex Paint

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Kirk Huizenga"

matronics
Posts: 81779
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:29 am

Pietenpol-List: A-65

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "walt evans"
Subject: Pietenpol-List: A-65Pieters:I need a lot of help. Can't start engine without pouring raw fuel in the top plug holes. Have started twice. First time it ran for about 10 seconds. Next day, same priming procedure, it ran for about 15 seconds. Has anyone experienced this behavior with your 65? I've overhauled the carb daily, new steelneedle and seat, gaskets. I took the brass revolving plate, mixture, out. Readthe A-65 manual until the print is fading also the Stromberg NA-S3A1 manual. The only thing I can't comply with from the manual is the 18 inch head of fuelabove the carb. I only have 8 inches from tank bottom to carb bottom. Will one of you engine know-hows please come to my rescue?Mags are very hot from rebuild. Engine has new bearings, guides, rings etc. Thanks in advanceCorky In La trying to start this d--- thing in 102 temp. ________________________________________________________________________________Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 19:35:12 -0400

matronics
Posts: 81779
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:29 am

Re: Pietenpol-List: A-65

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Dick Navratil"
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: A-65Walt,The bowl is full each time I remove it to "try something else". Tomorrow I will set the fuel level a bit higher, if I can find a washer thin enough. As Isaid ,I installed a new needle and seat valve so it may be needing a slightly higher fuel level.Corky ________________________________________________________________________________

matronics
Posts: 81779
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:29 am

RE: Pietenpol-List: A-65

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Phillips, Jack"
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: A-65I had the exact same problem on the C-85 with that carb. Try venting the fuel from the float bowl. I pulled the carb off the engine and found no fuelin the bowl, reassembled and vented the bowl and we were able to get the thingrunning. Haven't had a problem since.I have about 10" from bottom to tank to bowl, engine runs fine in the normal attitude with just a small amount, less than 1 gallon in the tank.Lou ________________________________________________________________________________Subject: RE: Pietenpol-List: A-65Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 07:21:00 -0400

matronics
Posts: 81779
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:29 am

Pietenpol-List: A-65

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Christian Bobka"
Subject: Pietenpol-List: A-65Pieters,Thanks for all the helpful comments. I used most of them.This morning before it reached 90 my man was proping after we had primed each cyl through the top plugs. He pulled it through about 4 times and nothing.On the next prop I moved the throttle to about 1/3 open. She fired. I had an oil pressure guage fitted next to the case. Oil pressure began to show after 20 or so seconds finally up to 30 @ 1200 rpm. I would reduce the throttle below 1000 and it would begin to stop so kept it at 1200 for about 5 minutesbut each time I lowered it below 1000 it tried to die. Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooosomething tells me that I must have a problem in the idle system somewhere. But where?I had taken the carb apart several times to clean and check everything according to the manuals EXCEPT that little brass tube sticking up out of the lower body. I have another old carb body so I put that little tube in the viseand carefully turned the body until it loosened. I removed and examined. Studying the manual this was the idle metering tube. The lower end being the idlemetering jet. It was blocked with no light to be seen through it. With some brass safety wire I began to clean and sure enough there was a jet hole there.I removed the carb on the engine, took it apart again and removed the idle metering tube and guess what I found. Yep, no hole and it took quite awhile tofinally clean the gook out. It's clean now and all reassembled. When my prop-er comes back we will see if it works. Sorry this has been so drawn out but I wanted it in the archives in case someone in the future is faced with identical problems.Had to stop as the temp just jumped to 100 and as we say down here, you talk about, man it's hot.Corky ________________________________________________________________________________

matronics
Posts: 81779
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:29 am

Re: Pietenpol-List: A-65

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Isablcorky(at)aol.com
I am sure glad to live up nawth where it is a cool 75.ChrisBraumeister und Inspektor der Flitzer und Flitzermotoren ----- Original Message -----

matronics
Posts: 81779
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:29 am

Pietenpol-List: A-65

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Clif Dawson

matronics
Posts: 81779
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:29 am

RE: Pietenpol-List: A-65

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: harvey.rule(at)bell.ca

matronics
Posts: 81779
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:29 am

Re: Pietenpol-List: A-65

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Jack
Charles,The airplane was originally designed for, and still flies today, on 50 hp ModelA's! GarySent from my iPhone> On Jan 30, 2014, at 3:39 PM, Charles Burkholder wrote:> > > Hi guys,> I have an opportunity to buy a newly overhauled Continental A-65 for a reasonableprice. It's been redone by an expert that knows how to rebuild an engineblindfolded and with one hand tied behind his back. Except he's very vocal thatI will regret putting such a small engine in and that I should put a O-200 on,at the least. Maybe even a 125 hp.... I'm wondering if anybody can give meperformance reports for the A-65, 85 and O-200. Takeoff, Feet per minute and cruiseetc.....> I learned how to fly behind a 65 and sure, you do takeoff a few seconds laterthen normal. But then again nobody builds a Piet to get anywhere fast.....> CB> > > > ________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: A-65

matronics
Posts: 81779
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:29 am

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: glenschweizer(at)yahoo.com
Charles it all depends on your gross weight...Built light it will be fine. Heavyit will be a dog...Sent from my iPadJack TextorOn Jan 30, 2014, at 5:39 PM, Charles Burkholder wrote:> > Hi guys,> I have an opportunity to buy a newly overhauled Continental A-65 for a reasonableprice. It's been redone by an expert that knows how to rebuild an engineblindfolded and with one hand tied behind his back. Except he's very vocal thatI will regret putting such a small engine in and that I should put a O-200 on,at the least. Maybe even a 125 hp.... I'm wondering if anybody can give meperformance reports for the A-65, 85 and O-200. Takeoff, Feet per minute and cruiseetc.....> I learned how to fly behind a 65 and sure, you do takeoff a few seconds laterthen normal. But then again nobody builds a Piet to get anywhere fast.....> CB> > > > ________________________________________________________________________________

matronics
Posts: 81779
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:29 am

Re: Pietenpol-List: A-65

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: airlion2(at)gmail.com
Don't try to make this airplane something it isn't. 65 hp really should be morethan enough considering its lighter than the model t (50hp) that it was designedfor. Speed is limited by design maximums and drag if you need more thanwhat the Piet was designed for then maybe build something else? No disrespectintended. fly safe. glenSent from my iPhone> On Jan 30, 2014, at 3:39 PM, Charles Burkholder wrote:> > > Hi guys,> I have an opportunity to buy a newly overhauled Continental A-65 for a reasonableprice. It's been redone by an expert that knows how to rebuild an engineblindfolded and with one hand tied behind his back. Except he's very vocal thatI will regret putting such a small engine in and that I should put a O-200 on,at the least. Maybe even a 125 hp.... I'm wondering if anybody can give meperformance reports for the A-65, 85 and O-200. Takeoff, Feet per minute and cruiseetc.....> I learned how to fly behind a 65 and sure, you do takeoff a few seconds laterthen normal. But then again nobody builds a Piet to get anywhere fast.....> CB> > > > ________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: A-65

matronics
Posts: 81779
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:29 am

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Brian Kenney
Hi. I just bought a low time C85 to replace my corvair. It should perform aboutthe same as the corvair and I will let y'all know when I get it up and running.GardinerSent from my iPad> On Jan 30, 2014, at 6:39 PM, Charles Burkholder wrote:> > > Hi guys,> I have an opportunity to buy a newly overhauled Continental A-65 for a reasonableprice. It's been redone by an expert that knows how to rebuild an engineblindfolded and with one hand tied behind his back. Except he's very vocal thatI will regret putting such a small engine in and that I should put a O-200 on,at the least. Maybe even a 125 hp.... I'm wondering if anybody can give meperformance reports for the A-65, 85 and O-200. Takeoff, Feet per minute and cruiseetc.....> I learned how to fly behind a 65 and sure, you do takeoff a few seconds laterthen normal. But then again nobody builds a Piet to get anywhere fast.....> CB> > > > ________________________________________________________________________________

matronics
Posts: 81779
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:29 am

RE: Pietenpol-List: A-65

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> born2fly(at)abcmailbox.net
hope I am doing this right - my first postI have 26 years flying an A-65 in my Piet. It is nearly the perfect engine for the air camper. I weight over 200 lbs and I have taken three different passengers that weigh about 250 lbs. It fly's that weight no problem but my empty weight is around 600Lbs. Realize that a 65 and a 75 are virtually identical and you can have anything between 65 and 75 hp with a different prop. The prop is critical. There is no such thing as a cruise prop for this application. If you are not achieving redline in climb you actually have a smaller engine then you think. I run my A-65 as an A-70 horsepower without any modification by letting it rev higher than 2300 rpm. The engine map in the manual will show you how. There are good reasons to use a C-85 or 0-200 - the main is the engine weight - the A-65 is too light for some completed air campers that are built tail heavy. It makes a poor airplane if you end up with nose that is too long or a wing that is too far aft or both. The option is then there of adding accessories like a starter=2C battery and/or a generator to solve a cg problem. weight is critical with horsepower and the power helps compensate for a heaver and over equipped airplane. where you live is also important. the higher the airport the more you will want power. The hotter it is the same applies.remember is you don't want to prop then don't use a A-65. the cylinders on a c-85 or 0-200 are more durable and are easier to get. I love mine - I am good with it. I am working on making a A-65 into a 85 horsepower with adding c-85 cylinders - this can be done but you have to investigate this and draw your own conclusions.brian kenney> Date: Thu=2C 30 Jan 2014 18:39:59 -0500

matronics
Posts: 81779
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:29 am

Re: Pietenpol-List: A-65

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Charles Burkholder"
Charles,I have about 350 hours on NX18235 with the A-65 and I am very happy with it.The airplane was built light, empty weight is 620 lbs. It has a course pitch cruise prop.It has flown at weights up to approx. 1200# with no problems.On a cool day and light weight it will climb 600 - 700 fpm and cruise at 80 - 85 mph.On a hot day with a couple of 200# people and full fuel the climb rate is 200 - 250 fpm and cruise at 65 - 70 mph.This is out of an airport with a field elevation of 920'.The airplane is sensitive to density altitude. In the upper midwest where field elevations seldom are higher than 1200' and giving rides mostly to kids, the A-65 is a perfect match for a lightly built Air Camper.Greg CardinalMinneapolis----- Original Message -----

matronics
Posts: 81779
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:29 am

Re: Pietenpol-List: A-65

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Andre B. Charvet"
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: A-65

matronics
Posts: 81779
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:29 am

Re: Pietenpol-List: A-65

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> > born2fly(at)abcmailbox.net
What Brian said. Well said, where you from Brian?Sent from my iPadJack TextorOn Jan 30, 2014, at 7:10 PM, Brian Kenney wrote:> hope I am doing this right - my first post> > I have 26 years flying an A-65 in my Piet. It is nearly the perfect engine for the air camper. I weight over 200 lbs and I have taken three different passengers that weigh about 250 lbs. It fly's that weight no problem but my empty weight is around 600Lbs. Realize that a 65 and a 75 are virtually identical and you can have anything between 65 and 75 hp with a different prop. The prop is critical. There is no such thing as a cruise prop for this application. If you are not achieving redline in climb you actually have a smaller engine then you think. I run my A-65 as an A-70 horsepower without any modification by letting it rev higher than 2300 rpm. The engine map in the manual will show you how. > > There are good reasons to use a C-85 or 0-200 - the main is the engine weight - the A-65 is too light for some completed air campers that are built tail heavy. It makes a poor airplane if you end up with nose that is too long or a wing that is too far aft or both. The option is then there of adding accessories like a starter, battery and/or a generator to solve a cg problem. > > weight is critical with horsepower and the power helps compensate for a heaver and over equipped airplane. > > where you live is also important. the higher the airport the more you will want power. The hotter it is the same applies.> > remember is you don't want to prop then don't use a A-65. > > the cylinders on a c-85 or 0-200 are more durable and are easier to get. > > I love mine - I am good with it. I am working on making a A-65 into a 85 horsepower with adding c-85 cylinders - this can be done but you have to investigate this and draw your own conclusions.> > brian kenney> > > > > > > Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 18:39:59 -0500

matronics
Posts: 81779
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:29 am

Re: Pietenpol-List: A-65

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: jack(at)textors.com
Ontario Canada - C-FAUKSubject: Re: Pietenpol-List: A-65

matronics
Posts: 81779
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:29 am

> Pietenpol-List: A-65

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Charles Burkholder

matronics
Posts: 81779
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:29 am

RE: Pietenpol-List: A-65

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: born2fly(at)abcmailbox.net
sure - I am away until early march - any time after I get back65 are cheaper than almost anything especially if you don't just give it to a professional to spend your moneyDate: Thu=2C 30 Jan 2014 21:29:31 -0500

matronics
Posts: 81779
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:29 am

Pietenpol-List: Re: A-65

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "TriScout"
Gary; Jake will rue the day he ever put that bend in his control sticks when he'spulling up to do a tight Immelman to get the Hun off his tail and he findsthat the stick is into his belly and he can't... get... that... last... inch ofelevator ;o)--------Oscar ZunigaMedford, ORAir Camper NX41CC "Scout"A75 powerRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=417984#417984 ________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: A-65

matronics
Posts: 81779
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:29 am

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: jim hyde
I don't remember where I read it (bingelis books?), but I heard the formula tofind the best horsepower is to take the cube of your weight times your peckerplus eight. This is the minimum hp for your weight. Then add 25% for optimum hp.Don't quote me on that though.--------KLNCA65-8N2308CAN HardwareAirframe 724TTW72CK-42 SensenichStandard Factory GN-1Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=417986#417986 ________________________________________________________________________________Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2014 20:11:45 -0800 (PST)

matronics
Posts: 81779
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:29 am

Re: Pietenpol-List: A-65

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> > born2fly(at)abcmailbox.net
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: A-65Keep the A-65.. with little rework you can convert it to A-75 (10 more) ifyou are uncomfortable with 65, and then if 75 is not enough, you canconvert it to 85 also (it's a big rework than the first one)Just to add something to the A-65regards.Mario Giacummo2014-02-02 jim hyde :> u answered your own question..the plane was made for a 40hp engine.. the> a65 is plenty of motor. 25 more hp than the 40.. why would anyone need> more..>>> On Thursday, January 30, 2014 7:16 PM, Brian Kenney <> brian.kenney(at)live.ca> wrote:> hope I am doing this right - my first post>> I have 26 years flying an A-65 in my Piet. It is nearly the perfect engine> for the air camper. I weight over 200 lbs and I have taken three different> passengers that weigh about 250 lbs. It fly's that weight no problem but my> empty weight is around 600Lbs. Realize that a 65 and a 75 are virtually> identical and you can have anything between 65 and 75 hp with a different> prop. The prop is critical. There is no such thing as a cruise prop for> this application. If you are not achieving redline in climb you actually> have a smaller engine then you think. I run my A-65 as an A-70 horsepower> without any modification by letting it rev higher than 2300 rpm. The engine> map in the manual will show you how.>> There are good reasons to use a C-85 or 0-200 - the main is the engine> weight - the A-65 is too light for some completed air campers that are> built tail heavy. It makes a poor airplane if you end up with nose that is> too long or a wing that is too far aft or both. The option is then there of> adding accessories like a starter, battery and/or a generator to solve a> cg problem.>> weight is critical with horsepower and the power helps compensate for a> heaver and over equipped airplane.>> where you live is also important. the higher the airport the more you will> want power. The hotter it is the same applies.>> remember is you don't want to prop then don't use a A-65.>> the cylinders on a c-85 or 0-200 are more durable and are easier to get.>> I love mine - I am good with it. I am working on making a A-65 into a 85> horsepower with adding c-85 cylinders - this can be done but you have to> investigate this and draw your own conclusions.>> brian kenney>>> > Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 18:39:59 -0500

matronics
Posts: 81779
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:29 am

> > Pietenpol-List: A-65

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Keith

matronics
Posts: 81779
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:29 am

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> born2fly(at)abcmailbox.net
What Brian said. Well said=2C where you from Brian?Sent from my iPadJack TextorOn Jan 30=2C 2014=2C at 7:10 PM=2C Brian Kenney wrote:=0A=0A=0Ahope I am doing this right - my first postI have 26 years flying an A-65 in my Piet. It is nearly the perfect engine for the air camper. I weight over 200 lbs and I have taken three different passengers that weigh about 250 lbs. It fly's that weight no problem but my empty weight is around 600Lbs. Realize that a 65 and a 75 are virtually identical and you can have anything between 65 and 75 hp with a different prop. The prop is critical. There is no such thing as a cruise prop for this application. If you are not achieving redline in climb you actually have a smaller engine then you think. I run my A-65 as an A-70 horsepower without any modification by letting it rev higher than 2300 rpm. The engine map in the manual will show you how. There are good reasons to use a C-85 or 0-200 - the main is the engine weight - the A-65 is too light for some completed air campers that are built tail heavy. It makes a poor airplane if you end up with nose that is too long or a wing that is too far aft or both. The option is then there of adding accessories like a starter=2C battery and/or a generator to solve a cg problem. weight is critical with horsepower and the power helps compensate for a heaver and over equipped airplane. where you live is also important. the higher the airport the more you will want power. The hotter it is the same applies.remember is you don't want to prop then don't use a A-65. the cylinders on a c-85 or 0-200 are more durable and are easier to get. I love mine - I am good with it. I am working on making a A-65 into a 85 horsepower with adding c-85 cylinders - this can be done but you have to investigate this and draw your own conclusions.brian kenney> Date: Thu=2C 30 Jan 2014 18:39:59 -0500

matronics
Posts: 81779
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:29 am

> Re: Pietenpol-List: A-65

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> > born2fly(at)abcmailbox.net
> To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com>> What Brian said. Well said, where you from Brian?>> Sent from my iPad> Jack Textor>> On Jan 30, 2014, at 7:10 PM, Brian Kenney > wrote:>> hope I am doing this right - my first post>> I have 26 years flying an A-65 in my Piet. It is nearly the> perfect engine for the air camper. I weight over 200 lbs and I> have taken three different passengers that weigh about 250 lbs. It> fly's that weight no problem but my empty weight is around> 600Lbs. Realize that a 65 and a 75 are virtually identical and> you can have anything between 65 and 75 hp with a different prop.> The prop is critical. There is no such thing as a cruise prop for> this application. If you are not achieving redline in climb you> actually have a smaller engine then you think. I run my A-65 as an> A-70 horsepower without any modification by letting it rev higher> than 2300 rpm. The engine map in the manual will show you how.>> There are good reasons to use a C-85 or 0-200 - the main is the> engine weight - the A-65 is too light for some completed air> campers that are built tail heavy. It makes a poor airplane if you> end up with nose that is too long or a wing that is too far aft or> both. The option is then there of adding accessories like a> starter, battery and/or a generator to solve a cg problem.>> weight is critical with horsepower and the power helps compensate> for a heaver and over equipped airplane.>> where you live is also important. the higher the airport the more> you will want power. The hotter it is the same applies.>> remember is you don't want to prop then don't use a A-65.>> the cylinders on a c-85 or 0-200 are more durable and are easier> to get.>> I love mine - I am good with it. I am working on making a A-65> into a 85 horsepower with adding c-85 cylinders - this can be done> but you have to investigate this and draw your own conclusions.>> brian kenney>>> > Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 18:39:59 -0500

matronics
Posts: 81779
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:29 am

Re: Pietenpol-List: A-65

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: > born2fly(at)abcmailbox.net
=0A To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com=0A =0A What Brian said. Well said=2C where you from Brian?=0A =0A Sent from my iPad=0A Jack Textor=0A =0A =0A On Jan 30=2C 2014=2C at 7:10 PM=2C Brian Kenney =0A wrote:=0A =0A =0A =0A =0A =0A =0A hope I am doing this right - my first post=0A =0A I have 26 years flying an A-65 in my Piet. It is nearly=0A the perfect engine for the air camper. I weight over 200=0A lbs and I have taken three different passengers that=0A weigh about 250 lbs. It fly's that weight no problem but=0A my empty weight is around 600Lbs. Realize that a 65 and=0A a 75 are virtually identical and you can have anything=0A between 65 and 75 hp with a different prop. The prop is=0A critical. There is no such thing as a cruise prop for=0A this application. If you are not achieving redline in=0A climb you actually have a smaller engine then you think.=0A I run my A-65 as an A-70 horsepower without any=0A modification by letting it rev higher than 2300 rpm. The=0A engine map in the manual will show you how. =0A =0A There are good reasons to use a C-85 or 0-200 - the main=0A is the engine weight - the A-65 is too light for some=0A completed air campers that are built tail heavy. It=0A makes a poor airplane if you end up with nose that is=0A too long or a wing that is too far aft or both. The=0A option is then there of adding accessories like a=0A starter=2C battery and/or a generator to solve a cg=0A problem. =0A =0A weight is critical with horsepower and the power helps=0A compensate for a heaver and over equipped airplane. =0A =0A where you live is also important. the higher the airport=0A the more you will want power. The hotter it is the same=0A applies.=0A =0A remember is you don't want to prop then don't use a=0A A-65. =0A =0A the cylinders on a c-85 or 0-200 are more durable and=0A are easier to get. =0A =0A I love mine - I am good with it. I am working on making=0A a A-65 into a 85 horsepower with adding c-85 cylinders -=0A this can be done but you have to investigate this and=0A draw your own conclusions.=0A =0A brian kenney=0A =0A =0A =0A =0A =0A > Date: Thu=2C 30 Jan 2014 18:39:59 -0500=0A

matronics
Posts: 81779
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:29 am

Re: Pietenpol-List: A-65

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:=0A> born2fly(at)abcmailbox.net=0A> To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com=0A>

matronics
Posts: 81779
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:29 am

Re: Pietenpol-List: A-65

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> > born2fly(at)abcmailbox.net

Locked