Pietenpol-List: 80th anniversary fly-in

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Jeff Boatright
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: 80th anniversary fly-in

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
I haven't been keeping track, Greg. How many do you have so far?Jack Phillips _____
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: 80th Anniversary Fly-in

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: gcardinal
Felix(N4FQ) and I are planning on the trip to C37 and OSH. Most likely leave WVWednesday and arrive Brodhead Thursday, could be different cause of weather.Also I have a half way decent radio.Skip----- Original Message -----
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: 80th anniversary fly-in

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Jack Phillips
We are at 13 so far. No doubt there are others who aren't on the list.Has anybody heard from, or know the whereabouts of Chuck Gantzer? He seems to have fallen off the face of the earth.Greg ----- Original Message -----
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: My Pietenpol build is just beginning

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Jerry Dotson"
Welcome to the list, Jerry.You might want to post where you live at some point. You might find others near by. On the horns, did you notice that there are 2 plys of the 22 ga. steel with a bend to form a hollow space inside. It is really quite strong.Dick N.----- Original Message -----
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: My Pietenpol build is just beginning

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Mark Roberts
GregI am planning on attending. I have a radio and GPS. I am going to get to Brodhead on Wed or Thur.Dick N________________________________________________________________________________Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 20:34:31 -0700Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: My Pietenpol build is just beginning
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Seat back angle

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "gcardinal"
O-290.I temporarily mounted it with wood doweling in place of therubber engine mount bungees I don't yet have. I couldn'twait. Using a plumb line from the tail to the hub it appearsI am a very lucky son of a you-know-what. It lines upabsolutely straight! It is, however, angled down onetenth of a degree. :-).And yes Ryan, I have mounted it as far back as I couldmanage. This engine has quite a large accessory case hanging out beyond the mounting holes so there's a limitto space for triangulating the lower mount tubes. Even sothe mags project 4" past the firewall.The prop hub face is 27" from the firewall. The hole in the firewall gives me quite a bit of room to work on the oilscreen and mags. I lucked into a ten dollar metal tool boxwhich has now had the top cut off. this is mounted over a flange in the firewall and bolted in with three wing bolts.The white stuff in the previous pic is 1/8" fiberfrax.After some head scratching I've figured out the flowpattern of the oil passages in and out of the screen andas you can see will be able to plumb in a remote filterand still have the original bypass valve work as it should.Now, I wonder if I'll find anything useful at Arlington? :-)Clif"Don't take life too seriously. You can't get out alive"> > Clif,> What engine are you using?> walt evans> NX140DL> ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

I am going to try hard to get to Brodhead and perhaps Oshkosh. It depend entirely on how my medical marvel wife is doing and whether I can get someone to stay with her for the duration. I've driven to Brodhead before the Piet. was finished but am now flying off the FAA 25 hours on mine. Do I fly around the top of Michigan and down the Dorr peninsula or just cross Lake Michigan from Ludington, Mi., a leg of about 45 minutes. That is the question. The Ludington route follows the Ferry route.Jim Lagowski, NX221PT ----- Original Message -----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: 80th anniversary fly-inI am going to try hard to get to Brodhead and perhaps Oshkosh. It depend entirelyon how my medical marvel wife is doing and whether I can get someone to staywith her for the duration. I've driven to Brodhead before the Piet. was finishedbut am now flying off the FAA25 hours on mine. Do I fly around the top ofMichigan and down the Dorr peninsula orjust cross Lake Michigan from Ludington,Mi., a leg of about 45 minutes. That is the question. The Ludington route followsthe Ferry route. Jim Lagowski, NX221PT ----- Original Message -----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: 80th anniversary fly-inI am going to try hard to get to Brodhead and perhaps Oshkosh. It dependentirely on how my medical marvel wife is doing and whether I can getsomeone to stay with her for the duration. I've driven to Brodhead beforethe Piet. was finished but am now flying off the FAA25 hours on mine. Do Ifly around the top of Michigan and down the Dorr peninsula orjust crossLake Michigan from Ludington, Mi., a leg of about 45 minutes. That is thequestion. The Ludington route follows the Ferry route.Jim Lagowski, NX221PT----- Original Message -----
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: "Bernie" & High flying

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-pietenpol-lis
Subject: RE: Pietenpol-List: "Bernie" & High flyingBehind on my reading and it shows. I had my A-65 powered piet up above 10K several times. In ridge life I made it to 12,200'. Whoever said it was like hanging on a thread was right. It was a very strange feeling. What made it even more weird is that I didn't feel like I could get down. It took forever to get back down to 7000' doing steep slipping spirals, left, then right. Sheesh I'm still at 9500. The ground is still not moving... more spirals-- made me feel like I was still in control if I could at least make the earth spin. It was cold too. Field elevation was at 4500'.Steve E.
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Lagowski Morrow
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: 80th anniversary fly-inJim, I crossed the lake last year with my boy in our Stinson. That's a long 45minutes my friend and for quite a long part of it you have no land to look atin front or behind you. The engine takes on a different sound and things getjust a little spooky. We wore our flotation vests and briefed our actions ina ditching but the fact is the water in the middle of lake Michigan isn't muchwarmer than about 52 degrees F at the end of July. Prospects for survivaleven if picked up within an hour are slim. I'm not saying that anyone shouldn't cross this section of water since the alternativeis a dance through Chicago's teminal area. Just take the trek very seriouslyand understand the risks. I cross the lake seven or eight times a monthflying into Chicago for my airline. Nevertheless, when halfway across thestretch in the stinson my 13 year old boy could sense my agitation and took mymind off things by playing 20 questions with me! Gotta love the fearlessnessof a teenage boy! Scott Knowlton -----Original Message-----
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: 80th anniversary fly-in

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
I agree completely with Scott. Apart from the "JFK Jr. Effect", where youlose spatial orientation in the haze over water, the weather around theGreat Lakes can be unpredictable in the summer. In 2007 I flew my RV-4 toBrodhead, then on to OSH. While there, my wife asked me to fly her to visither best friend at Mackinac Island. On the way there we flew more or lessdirectly across the northern part of Lake Michigan. On the return trip Ielected to follow the shoreline along the U.P. of Michigan, and still gotforced down by unpredicted low ceilings (we were down to 300' AGL before welanded at Manistique to wait for the clouds to lift). I would not recommendflying over the lake. It's mighty lonely flying a Pietenpol over themountains, but I would take that to flying that far over the water.If you are too far north to take the southern route, skirting Chicago, Iwould fly over St. Ignace (nice airport there - in 2007 while we were thereI saw the Pietenpol from Quebec there as he was heading back home), by wayof Manistique (tell Rudy "Hi" for me), then Manitowoc and Green Bay, Oshkoshand then Brodhead.Be sure to mistrust any briefingsyou get from Flight Service - the brieferthat advised me on that trip said it would be 2,000 scattered, 4,000 brokenand 8,000 overcast. It started as 2,000broken and quickly went down to thedeck. When I landed at Manistique, Rudy (the FBO) told me that the weatherusually does that in the summer and everybody knows it - except the brieferI had from California thatmorning.Jack PhillipsNX899JP-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael Groah
________________________________________________________________________________Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 15:49:13 -0700 (PDT)
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Jack Phillips"
________________________________________________________________________________