Pietenpol-List: Split axle fittings: aargh!

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: B'head 09 Departure videos

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Oscar Zuniga
Jeff;Truly do appreciate the videos and commentary. Wish we couldhave made it to the 80th but there's always next year, I guess.It was interesting to watch climb rates, attitudes, takeoff rolls,and other characteristics of each airplane. No two alike.Oscar ZunigaAir Camper NX41CCSan Antonio, TXmailto: taildrags(at)hotmail.comwebsite at http://www.flysquirrel.net________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Split axle fittings: aargh!

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Andrew M Eldredge
Andrew, I feel your pain. I have a few extra parts in my scap bin for the same reason. It seems that the thins move all around no matter how hard I try to stop it. I found that, when gas welding, it was better to do all my welding before drilling and installing the fittings. By the way I would not bash it to much to get it to fit. Bite the bullet and make a new one.ChrisSacramento, CAWestCoastPiet.com ----- Original Message -----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Andrew;I noticed on the beautifully-fabricated set of split-stylelanding gearlegs that I boughtfrom Arlene Walsh's estate (off the Aerial biplane) thatthe attach bolt holes were drilled after the legs were fittedup and that no two of them go straight through the center ofthe fitting. Apparently there are just too many things tokeep lined up by jigging. However, the legs on 41CC weremade in the conventional way, using Bill Rewey's jig method,and they slide on fairly easily and are not forced or sprunginto place so there must be a way to do it successfully.Maybe you can put a pin and lever on the end of the leg andtweak the fittings into alignment, or are they so far outthat they can't be tweaked a bit? It sure would be a shameto have to scrap them and start over.Oscar ZunigaAir Camper NX41CCSan Antonio, TXmailto: taildrags(at)hotmail.comwebsite at http://www.flysquirrel.net________________________________________________________________________________Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 09:43:58 -0700Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Split axle fittings: aargh!
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Rick Holland
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Split axle fittings: aargh!
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: ok, lemme have it!

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Gary Boothe"
Dan,We look forward to seeing your Piet. Any further word on if it may be 'coming home' tomorrow? We may stop by the airport for a bit before heading back in to the city.With regards to rejuvenating versus recovering....obviously a punch test will give a better idea of it's condition, and if it punches well I would imagine rejuvenation would save a bit of $. A little food for thought though; if the fabric is '79 vintage then that means much of the structure underneath hasn't seen the light of day in 30 years. If it fails the punch test, or passes on the edge of being serviceable, it may be worthwhile to bite the bullet and go with a recover. This would provide the opportunity for you to get a close look at every inch of the airframe, and would enable you to fix any and all issues so that it would be ready for the next 30 years of enjoyment.As I said, just some food for thought. We look forward to meeting '8031'. Have a good night,RyanSent from my IPhoneOn Aug 1, 2009, at 9:05 PM, Dan Yocum wrote:>> Gents,>> I'm sure some of you took a look at N8031 while it was sitting with > the racers just south of the brown arch at OSH. I am not > disillusioned - it needs some work here and there. The question is, > how soon do I have to the work, and am I missing anything?>> Your honest opinions and observations would be greatly appreciated. > Let me have it, and don't sugar coat it! I've got a pretty tough > skin.>>> - the finish has hairline cracks over the turtledeck stringers and > there> are some circular rings on the horizontal stabilizer. Popular> consensus is that it's covered in original 1979 Stits Poly-fiber. How> long before I need to consider rejuvenating or recovering (I realize> that a punch test should really be performed...)?>> -- > Dan Yocum> Fermilab 630.840.6509> yocum@fnal.gov, http://fermigrid.fnal.gov> Fermilab. Just zeros and ones.>>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: TOM MICHELLE BRANT
Andrew; I believe Doc Mosher ran the Rewey gear leg jigdetails and notes in the BPA Newsletter one or two issuesago. If you don't get the newsletter, then I believe Rewey still sells his packet of assorted Piet ideas anddetails. If you don't want to buy the whole packet ofdetails, let me know and I'll see if I can get you justthe one page with the gear leg jig details but Rewey's stuff is well worth the few bucks he charges for it.Oscar ZunigaAir Camper NX41CCSan Antonio, TXmailto: taildrags(at)hotmail.comwebsite at http://www.flysquirrel.net________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Piet ... ---------- - Release Date: 07/31/09 05:58:00------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Checked by AVG - www.avg.com 07/31/09 05:58:00________________________________________________________________________________Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 06:36:47 -0700Subject: Pietenpol-List: Split axle fittings: aargh!
matronics

> Pietenpol-List: Split axle fittings: aargh!

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Jack Phillips"
>>>Andrew;> >I noticed on the beautifully-fabricated set of split-style>landing gearlegs that I bought>from Arlene Walsh's estate (off the Aerial biplane) that>the attach bolt holes were drilled after the legs were fitted>up and that no two of them go straight through the center of>the fitting. Apparently there are just too many things to>keep lined up by jigging. However, the legs on 41CC were>made in the conventional way, using Bill Rewey's jig method,>and they slide on fairly easily and are not forced or sprung>into place so there must be a way to do it successfully.> >Maybe you can put a pin and lever on the end of the leg and>tweak the fittings into alignment, or are they so far out>that they can't be tweaked a bit? It sure would be a shame>to have to scrap them and start over.>>Oscar Zuniga>Air Camper NX41CC>San Antonio, TX>mailto: taildrags(at)hotmail.com>website at http://www.flysquirrel.net>>le, List Admin.>>________________________________________________________________________________