Pietenpol-List: Soaking cap strips in water. Need help!

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Motor Mount Questions/Motor Mount Jig available

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael Perez
Hi All,Speaking of engine mount jigs. I am finished with Don E's nice angle iron jig.Don told me to pass it on when I'm done. Very sturdy jig, for small continental,think it is about 1" longer than plans, puts the top flange 13 3/4" from firewall.Can be picked up in NW West Virginia, by Parkersburg, write me off list.Skip_blank">www.aeroelectric.com" target="_blank">www.buildersbooks.com="_blank">www.homebuilthelp.com="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contributionst" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Piet ... ______Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 08:07:29 -0800 (PST)
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Soaking cap strips in water. Need help!

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Pietflyer1977"
I think I am line for Don's Jig. Can I fly down to pick it up or will I have todrive?--------Fred KimPittsburgh, PaRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Soaking cap strips in water. Need help!
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Motor Mount Questions/Motor Mount Jig available

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Don Emch"
Has anyone ever had this trouble. I cannot believe it is even doing it and don't know why or how to stop it. I soaked my spruce cap strips in a pvc tube with tap water overnight, next day pull them out and put in jig. They dry out overnight but when dry they have black mold spots on them. I then tried distilled water and same results. Tried adding bleach to distilled water and after they were dry they have black spots again. The problem also is that they seem to be deep and it doesn't want to sand off easy. After scrubing the dry wood with straight bleach it will come off but then turns the wood a grey color when the bleach dries. Anyone know whats going on and how to stop it? Thanks RobRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... 9#390569le, List Admin.________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Motor Mount Questions/Motor Mount Jig available
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Kip and Beth Gardner
Rob, that sounds like a problem. I did the same for mine, no mold. Wish I had ananswer for you.Sent from my iPadJack TextorOn Dec 16, 2012, at 7:46 PM, "Pietflyer1977" wrote:> > Has anyone ever had this trouble. I cannot believe it is even doing it and don'tknow why or how to stop it. I soaked my spruce cap strips in a pvc tube withtap water overnight, next day pull them out and put in jig. They dry out overnightbut when dry they have black mold spots on them. I then tried distilledwater and same results. Tried adding bleach to distilled water and after theywere dry they have black spots again. The problem also is that they seem tobe deep and it doesn't want to sand off easy. After scrubing the dry wood withstraight bleach it will come off but then turns the wood a grey color when thebleach dries. Anyone know whats going on and how to stop it? Thanks Rob> > > > > Read this topic online here:> > http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... 569#390569> > > > > > > > > > ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Soaking cap strips in water. Need help!

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Dave Millikan
Soak them in boiling water - it will inhibit a lot of of the mold growth, plus you only need to soak for 30-45 minutes, so you are drastically cutting down on the time the wood is wet. Seal your jig with a polyurethane varnish, just in case it is a source of mold spores. Put your drying capstrip/jig in a sunny (or at least not dark) spot. I won't garauntee that any of this will stop all the mold growth, but what you are doing is minimizing the conditions (cool, dark & wet) that encourage it. If you still have problems, try 'bleaching' with hydrogen peroxide instead of bleach. It removes the stain without discoloring the wood so badly.KipOn Dec 16, 2012, at 8:46 PM, Pietflyer1977 wrote:> >>> Has anyone ever had this trouble. I cannot believe it is even doing > it and don't know why or how to stop it. I soaked my spruce cap > strips in a pvc tube with tap water overnight, next day pull them > out and put in jig. They dry out overnight but when dry they have > black mold spots on them. I then tried distilled water and same > results. Tried adding bleach to distilled water and after they were > dry they have black spots again. The problem also is that they seem > to be deep and it doesn't want to sand off easy. After scrubing the > dry wood with straight bleach it will come off but then turns the > wood a grey color when the bleach dries. Anyone know whats going on > and how to stop it? Thanks Rob>>> Read this topic online here:>> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ______Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 18:32:09 -0800 (PST)
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Soaking cap strips in water. Need help!

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "K5YAC"
Hey Fred and Fred... I do remember we talked about getting it for you to use. It's a little bulky, but with some creativity you could probably get it in theL2. Skip lives on an airstrip so that helps. You could probably take some ofit apart too. When you put it back together though, you might want to do alittle re-aligning.Don EmchNX899DERead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Soaking cap strips in water. Need help!
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Clif Dawson"
I did the same as Kip... hot water. I only soaked for 20 minutes or so and thenjigged up for a day or so to dry. Did several at a time so I could keep busyon the ribs.--------Mark ChouinardWings, Center Section and Empannage and Fuse framed up - Working on Landing GearRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: airlion2(at)gmail.com
I took pics of everything but somehow forgot thispart!! Anyway, I steamed mine. I got an oldelectric teakettle with a round spout and a coupleof lengths of vacuum tube, all from a thrift store.The tube fit nicely into the kettle spout. Oncesteaming along nicely in go a couple of strips fora few minutes. I made a jig to hold the strips, bentfor the first 12", that would hold four strips at atime. This was left overnight then four more, etc.Once the first ones were out then I started my firstrib. That jig was made of K-3 board, or whateverthey call it now.ClifEverything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler. Einstein>> I did the same as Kip... hot water. I only soaked for 20 minutes or so > and then jigged up for a day or so to dry. Did several at a time so I > could keep busy on the ribs.> Mark Chouinard________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Soaking cap strips in water. Need help!
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Douwe Blumberg"
Are you sure you did not use pressure treated for your cap strips. ? He he . Gardiner..Sent from my iPadOn Dec 16, 2012, at 9:11 PM, Jack wrote:> > Rob, that sounds like a problem. I did the same for mine, no mold. Wish I hadan answer for you.> > Sent from my iPad> Jack Textor> > On Dec 16, 2012, at 7:46 PM, "Pietflyer1977" wrote:> >> >> Has anyone ever had this trouble. I cannot believe it is even doing it and don'tknow why or how to stop it. I soaked my spruce cap strips in a pvc tube withtap water overnight, next day pull them out and put in jig. They dry out overnightbut when dry they have black mold spots on them. I then tried distilledwater and same results. Tried adding bleach to distilled water and after theywere dry they have black spots again. The problem also is that they seem tobe deep and it doesn't want to sand off easy. After scrubing the dry wood withstraight bleach it will come off but then turns the wood a grey color when thebleach dries. Anyone know whats going on and how to stop it? Thanks Rob>> >> >> >> >> Read this topic online here:>> >> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... 569#390569> > > > > ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: smooth tires

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "tools"
The only factory smooth tire I have found is a high pressure clincher tirefor a model T. They are 28X3, which needs a 22' rim. Pretty big.Best bet is to do the dirt bike knobby like you said and cut the knobs off.I found that rear tires are "fatter" and tend to have more plies. Bandsawoff the knobs and use a belt sander to smooth.Wear a mask.Have fun!Douwe________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: smooth tires
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "skipgadd(at)earthlink.net"
At the EAA's Week's hangar, they recently set up the wire wheels for the StandardJ1 and I think they're 21" (on what are supposedly old Jenny spoke rims, 21x4)and they have new smooth tires on them which I believe are Cokers. Next timeI'm up there I'll get the info if it's not posted by then.However, I think they spent FIFTEEN HUNDRED BUCKS on those used rims and new tires...yikes.Good looking though, perfectly smooth, nice and round, I had no clue tires likethat were still being made. I don't believe they're NOS or anything.Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Fred Kim
Hi Fred,Sure, you can fly down to pick up the Jig. We are at Hales Landing, 12 miles southof PKB on the chart. In Duats and other data bases Hales is listed as 2WV3.Probably should call first as this time of year the grass can be soft from therain. If so I can meet you at PKB.Skiphome 304 275-3787cell 304 483-8342 ----- Original Message -----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: skipgadd(at)earthlink.net
Thank you Skip=2CWould this Saturday or Sunday work?I know it is getting mighty close to Christmas.I can call you later this week and see how things look.Did you do your tail wheel yet. Freddy and I came up with a full swivel / locking tail wheel based on a modified Vans RV tail wheel fork assy.Freddy posted some pictures of it last week i believe. I attached a couple here.RegardsFred
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Jack
Hi All=2CSpeaking of engine mount jigs. I am finished with Don E's nice angle iron jig. Don told me to pass it on when I'm done. Very sturdy jig=2C for small continental=2C think it is about 1" longer than plans=2C puts the top flange 13 3/4" from fire wall.Can be picked up in NW West Virginia=2C by Parkersburg=2C write me off list.Skip ________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Soaking cap strips in water. Need help!
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Motor Mount Questions/Motor Mount Jig availabl

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Fred Kim
Hi Fred=2CSure=2C you can fly down to pick up the Jig. We are at Hales Landing=2C 12 miles south of PKB on the chart. In Duats and other data bases Hales is listed as 2WV3. Probably should call first as this time of year the grass can be soft from the rain. If so I can meet you at PKB.Skiphome 304 275-3787cell 304 483-8342 ----- Original Message -----