Pietenpol-List: Multiple structures in the wind.

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Multiple structures in the wind.

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Steven Dortch
Not me, Oscar. I don't even know how to spell RADIO. I have an old Icom that I'mstruggling with...GarySent from my iPad> On Feb 17, 2015, at 8:24 PM, taildrags wrote:> > > Well, Steve, the answer you're going to get is, "it depends". Mostly on yourcockpit layout, in my opinion, as far as the radio itself. You'll also get lotsof ideas on the antenna, but I haven't had good luck with the remote VHF COMMwhip in the empennage behind the pilot's seat. The rubber ducky antenna thatcame with my Icom A23 has given me the best signal.> > In my cockpit, I have throttle and carb heat knobs on the left so there is noplace to put the radio over there. The right side is probably the best, butmy fuel shutoff valve is at the bottom corner of the instrument panel on thatside so I can't get too low with the radio or it will block ready access to thefuel shutoff. I'm going to fabricate a sheet aluminum bracket going by thelittle plan that I got from Bill Rewey (he used to sell a bunch of different detailsand plans for accessories for Piets and the radio holder was one of them).It will place the radio just below the cockpit coaming on the right sideof the cockpit with the rubber ducky sticking out and the digital readout andradio buttons angled where I can see them and get to them. Somebody (Jack? Gary?)has their radio installed up in the underside of the wing centersection,a really slick setup if you use a standard panel mount COM rather than a handheld.> > --------> Oscar Zuniga> Medford, OR> Air Camper NX41CC "Scout"> A75 power> > > > > Read this topic online here:> > http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... 469#438469> > > > > > > > > > ________________________________________________________________________________Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 10:25:00 -0600Subject: Pietenpol-List: Multiple structures in the wind.