Pietenpol-List: Engine & prop size

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Engine & prop size

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: ehagness(at)mail.interconnect.net (Ernest Hagness)
We have a GN-1 Aircamper with a 75 hp Cont. that has been reduced to 65 hpwith a smaller venturi. We are thinking about increasing to the full 75 hpbut it occurs to me that maybe 65 is the maximum that should be used. Anyadvice?Second, what size metal prop should be used on a 65/75 hp piet? Incidently, I took 7 passengers (one at a time) up on Saturday for a CAPfunction. Flew this afternoon and watched the sunset. I doesn't get muchbetter than this.Ted Brousseau/APFnfn00979(at)gator.naples.netSunny SW Florida________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Engine & prop size

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Gary Gower
Ted Brousseau wrote:> > We have a GN-1 Aircamper with a 75 hp Cont. that has been reduced to 65 hp> with a smaller venturi. We are thinking about increasing to the full 75 hp> but it occurs to me that maybe 65 is the maximum that should be used. Any> advice?> > Second, what size metal prop should be used on a 65/75 hp piet?> > Incidently, I took 7 passengers (one at a time) up on Saturday for a CAP> function. Flew this afternoon and watched the sunset. I doesn't get much> better than this.> > Ted Brousseau/APF> nfn00979(at)gator.naples.net> Sunny SW FloridaGreetings Ted; Your description of the weather in Naples almost makes mewant to pack up and move there. We have had some real cold weather herein south texas. My Grega has an A80 cont. with a McCauley metal prop1A90/6939 (39 pitch), Cruise is 89mph. at 2250 . Have no idea what topspeed is and never intend to find out as speed is not an issue to me .By the way I noticed there is a fellow listed in the Naples phonedirectory with the same name as mine . It is a norwegian name and hasits roots in luster county norway where my grand parents came from andas far as I know all folks with this name are related but I dont knowthis fellow. He is not listed with an e mail address. I was lookingforward to sun and fun this year but will have to be in Milwaukee all ofapril and part of may so it looks like I will have to put sun and fun aswell as Brodhead and oshkosh off until next year. Looking after my agedmother must come first.Having poor flying weather is not all bad as itgives us plenty of time to do those maintenance chores that we sometimesput off on pretty days when we would rather fly. Ernie Hagness ehagness(at)mail.interconnect.net________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: ehagness(at)mail.interconnect.net (Ernest Hagness)
> My Grega has an A80 cont. with a McCauley metal prop>1A90/6939 (39 pitch), Cruise is 89mph. at 2250 . Have no idea what top>speed is and never intend to find out as speed is not an issue to me .Are you serious? Our GN-1 is yellow lined at 90 and red lined at 100. I amlucky to get 70 mph at 2250.I will check out the Naples look alike.Ted Brousseau/APFnfn00979(at)gator.naples.netSunny SW Florida________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ted Brousseau
Ted Brousseau wrote:> > > My Grega has an A80 cont. with a McCauley metal prop> >1A90/6939 (39 pitch), Cruise is 89mph. at 2250 . Have no idea what top> >speed is and never intend to find out as speed is not an issue to me .> > Are you serious? Our GN-1 is yellow lined at 90 and red lined at 100. I am> lucky to get 70 mph at 2250.> > I will check out the Naples look alike.> > Ted Brousseau/APF> nfn00979(at)gator.naples.net> Sunny SW FloridaTed You got me scrathing my head now . I am going to use a more precisemethod of measuring my air speed and tach. I dont know how good the onboard instruments are and have never checked them for acuracy. Just tookthem on face value . could be a big mistake on my part. will let youknow when I get back in the air and check it out . Good point . I couldbe ready to shed the wings or be stalling out at some point if thesethings are giving me some bad data. thanks . Ernie________________________________________________________________________________