Pietenpol-List: Laytex coatings

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Laytex coatings

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "John m. Greenlee"
Looking through Sport Aviation and Kitplanes completions section, I havefound and contacted a couple of builders who have used Exterior Laytexover fabric.Last night I called Bill Brown, a Minimax builder who has been flyingfor 1.5 years with a laytex coatings. I gleened some very goodinformation from him that I thought I might pass on.Bill used the superflite system fabric and cements. The first coatingwas Benjamin Moore impervex Flat Black Exterior paint. This seals andfills the weave, and provides UV protection. The following coat was 3to 1 black to white. The reason for the mix is to provide a lightercolor base for light color coats. I have also seen one example of goingwith a straigh white for the second coat. Following are very lightcoats of the colors of your choice. Standard colors are best, becauseyou take your chances on custom mixes being the same shade if you haveto go back for more paint. Bill said that he used 5 light coats on theblue he used and 6 for the yellow.Concerning durability, Bill said that very small cracks were developingnext the rib cap strips. He did mention that the cap strips wereonly1/4" wide and there was no rib lacing. The airplane is hangared.Paint was applied with at foam brush in very light coats. I asked aboutfuel resistance and he said that it wasn't a concern, and that anon-petroleum based wax helps shed any spilled fluids.I plan on spraying this weekend. I guess time will tell if this isreally a good way to go.Any other tips or experience here? please post it!Stevee________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Laytex coatings

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: jkahn(at)picasso.dehavilland.ca (John Kahn)
Steve, Using the laytex sounds like a good idea. I was wondering if any ofthe people you contacted used any type of flex agent to avoid the cracksyou mentioned? Or can you even use them with this type of paint? Also,how are you able to spray with this "thick" paint?Jack________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> jholgate
> From Steve_Eldredge(at)byu.edu Thu Jun 12 23:37:07 1997> Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 23:30:29 -0700
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Steve Eldredge
The folks at Fisher Aero say that over thier primer laytex coats theyspray on DuPont Dulux automotive enamel color. They stressed thatthe system will last a long time without cracking if you avoid totallyfilling the fabric weave. You will get a nice satin finish, but if lookingfor a full glossy coat it will greatly decrease the chances of stayingpretty. Mike C. ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Dean Dayton
Hmm.. I have not had experience with other than FAAcertificated covings but one idea is to cover one tail surfaceall the way through and see how it goes. Let it dry for a weekor so, check the flexibility, hit it with a maule tester at80 pounds to see if it debonds from the fabric etc.It is easy to recover a tail section but the wing orfuselage is a huge job...Just a thought.Kevin.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

> Re: Laytex coatings

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Steve Eldredge
>Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 10:17:53 -0400>From: Michael D Cuy >Subject: Re: Laytex coatings>To: Pietenpol Discussion >>The folks at Fisher Aero say that over thier primer laytex coats they>spray on DuPont Dulux automotive enamel color. They stressed that>the system will last a long time without cracking if you avoid totally>filling the fabric weave. You will get a nice satin finish, but if looking>for a full glossy coat it will greatly decrease the chances of staying>pretty. Mike C. >>I've seen several of their planes and they look great. Mike Fisher told me they prime it with black exterior latex house paint and then use DuPont Dulux. Both are sprayed on with either a traditional paint gun or using HVLP. Mike also said that DuPont Dulux is getting hard to find because it is lead based.Dean Dayton - deandayton(at)hotmail.com---------------------------------------------------------Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com---------------------------------------------------------________________________________________________________________________________