Pietenpol-List: Hi Everyone!

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Steve Pugh
I asked Steve to put me on the list about a week ago and I've beenlurking ever since. It looks like a great group and I want to introducemyself.I am a private pilot, about 250 hours, who doesn't get to fly muchanymore. I have a six month old son and a wife who is now staying hometo care of him. My wife is (was) an accountant and flying was the firstthing to get cut from the budget when she started staying home.Needless to say, I have been one S.O.B. to live with for the last sixmonths. I still manage to sneak out once in a while. Husband veto, Ijust go out and spend the money on flying and let her figure out how tocover it.Stick and rudder flying is the only way to go. I did all of my trainingin Citabrias and Decathalons and spend as much time as I can flying lowand slow. I got introduced to open cockpit flying in a friendsPT-23...HEAVEN!!! An open cockpit taildragger is the only way to fly!You can see how I'm getting interested in the Piet. Other than photos,I have never seen a Piet much less fly one. Is anybody working on onein SoCal? (I am an expert at oohing and awing over other peoplesairplanes.)Being an engineer (chemical) I am VERY interested in building my ownplane (more Piet). Flying is a dream come true but, to build themachine that takes you into the air...well that's a whole new level ofsatisfaction.Before this turns into a full length bio, I'll wrap it up for now. Hieveryone, glad to be here.Carl "Slip'r" HixonFYI--Slip'r comes from my flight instructor. The Citabria I trained indidn't have flaps and I could never land without Slipping it in. I gotto be quite the expert!________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Hi Everyone!

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: D.BELLISSIMO(at)littonlsl.com (BELLISSIMO, DOMENIC)
Welcome, Carl!>I asked Steve to put me on the list about a week ago and I've been>lurking ever since. It looks like a great group and I want to introduce>myself.Yeah, these folks are a nice bunch, even to anon-currently-building-head-in-the-clouds-dreamer like me.>Stick and rudder flying is the only way to go. I did all of my training>in Citabrias and Decathalons and spend as much time as I can flying low>and slow. I got introduced to open cockpit flying in a friends>PT-23...HEAVEN!!! An open cockpit taildragger is the only way to fly!>You can see how I'm getting interested in the Piet. Other than photos,>I have never seen a Piet much less fly one. Is anybody working on one>in SoCal? (I am an expert at oohing and awing over other peoples>airplanes.)Motion seconded! I too am in SoCal (Canyon Country) and have yet to see aPiet up close and personal (although that should change in T-minus 8 days,OSH and Brodhead, here I come!). Wouldn't mind tracking down a buildernearby, the better to pester them when I *DO* start building ;-)>FYI--Slip'r comes from my flight instructor. The Citabria I trained in>didn't have flaps and I could never land without Slipping it in. I got>to be quite the expert!Still gotta get the hang of those guys. My whopping *TWO* hours Citabriatime has me hooked (I learned in a 150, but if I had only known...), andaside from that one awkward incident involving landing on the mains(ahem...), it's a hoot! Welcome to the list!Cheers, Steve Pugh Senior Systems Engineer Foundation Imaging________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: RE: Hi Everyone!

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Pietenpol Discussion
Welcome to our discusion group. I'm just about finished building so if you're ever in Toronto look me up. I will definitely be at brodhead in '98. Regards,Domenico Bellissimo ----------________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Woodbridge, Gary"
Hixon, Carl wrote:> > I asked Steve to put me on the list about a week ago and I've been> lurking ever since. > Welcome Carl,I have always liked the Pietenpol, but really got bit last year. So farI have studied the plans, joined the BPA, read all the material I canget my hands on, asked a bunch of dumb questions, went to Brodhead andbought a model A engine(although not in that exact order). I plan tostart building as soon as I return from Brodhead this year. Anyway, ithas been a real pleasure to particapate, it is a good group.Bob Bailey - Missouri________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael D Cuy
Like Carl, I am new to the list and have not seen a Piet up close. Isthere anybody building/flying one in Oklahoma. I live in Guthrie,Oklahoma which is just North of Oklahoma City. If nobody is close tome, I can jump in my Maule and hope over to take a look. Thanks,Gary Woodbridge________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Hixon, Carl"
>Like Carl, I am new to the list and have not seen a Piet up close. Is>there anybody building/flying one in Oklahoma. Gary, Carl, ....... It sure is nice to see interest in the Pietenpol growing. It it such a fun airplane in all respects. It is a magnetwhich peaks people's interest again in affordable, safe, pleasureflying. It's great to have a plane where children can see into thecockpit from the ground. The smell of wood, varnish, oil, andleather. (ahh, synthetic vinyl). You get the idea.I get visits from guys who fly jets, airline pilots, etc to watch my building progress and they get more excited about this project than overanything they fly. It's a good bunch. Mike C. ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: D.BELLISSIMO(at)littonlsl.com (BELLISSIMO, DOMENIC)
Anyone from San Diego? ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ted Brousseau
Carl:Welcome to the list, you have to do "magic" with your budget and manage to= fly,That is why some airplanes are nicknamed "mistress", because you have themwithout your wife knowing... sometimes they kinda suspect it.One Mexican advice about this:..... My wife is (was) an accountant and flying was the first>thing to get cut from the budget when she started staying home.>Needless to say, I have been one S.O.B. to live with for the last six>months. I still manage to sneak out once in a while. Husband veto, I>just go out and spend the money on flying and let her figure out how to>cover it.> Dont give to your wife All your money nether all your love! She will haveit all and loose interest (?)Allways "hide" some budget from your income, they (wifes) normaly do and ithelps in difficult times of marriage,You have another option, search for a better paid job.....Well back to theme Welcome and fly before is to late, time wont wait fornobody!Saludos (no more) :-(=09EAA Chapter 1039 President ggower(at)informador.com.mx ~1,800 VW 2 place "Gtub"(50%)(own design)FAI= legalGuadalajara, Jalisco, MEXICOChapala Aerodrome Alt 4,997 asl N 20=BA19.506' W 103=BA08.203' (Got the= GPS!) "Cuando inducimos a alguien a nuestro deporte debemos ser firmes tambien enque mantenga optimo su estado fisico, entrenamiento y aeronave" - Julian= Taber(When we involve anyone else in flying we should be held to a high standardin term of medical, trainnig and plane upkeeping - Julian Taber)________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Hixon, Carl"
Hello Niwlyf!I am Alan Laudani, acer(at)connectnet.com, in Ramona. I'm about to start aPiet of my own.The most famous Piet (GN-1) in the area is Manual Sparks, flying fromGilespi.What's your progress building? I have just made a jig for an ContinentalEngine Mount and am studying plans to decide which fuselage to build.GN-1 or Lengthened Hoopman's plans.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "ernest l. hagness"
I have not started building. I probably won't start for quite sometime. I am just trying to collect information. Perhaps aquire someplans to study but, that is it for now. If you ever need a pair ofhands, I'd love to come around when I can.On Tuesday, July 29, 1997 10:10 PM, Alan Laudani[SMTP:acer(at)connectnet.com] wrote:> Hello Niwlyf!> I am Alan Laudani, acer(at)connectnet.com, in Ramona. I'm about to start a Pietof my own. > The most famous Piet (GN-1) in the area is Manual Sparks, flying fromGilespi.> What's your progress building? I have just made a jig for an ContinentalEngine Mount and am studying plans to decide which fuselage to build.GN-1 or Lengthened Hoopman's plans.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "ernest l. hagness"
I asked Steve to put me on the list about a week ago and I've beenlurking ever since. It looks like a great group and I want to introducemyself.I am a private pilot, about 250 hours, who doesn't get to fly muchanymore. I have a six month old son and a wife who is now staying hometo care of him. My wife is (was) an accountant and flying was the firstthing to get cut from the budget when she started staying home.Needless to say, I have been one S.O.B. to live with for the last sixmonths. I still manage to sneak out once in a while. Husband veto, Ijust go out and spend the money on flying and let her figure out how tocover it.Stick and rudder flying is the only way to go. I did all of my trainingin Citabrias and Decathalons and spend as much time as I can flying lowand slow. I got introduced to open cockpit flying in a friendsPT-23...HEAVEN!!! An open cockpit taildragger is the only way to fly!You can see how I'm getting interested in the Piet. Other than photos,I have never seen a Piet much less fly one. Is anybody working on onein SoCal? (I am an expert at oohing and awing over other peoplesairplanes.)Being an engineer (chemical) I am VERY interested in building my ownplane (more Piet). Flying is a dream come true but, to build themachine that takes you into the air...well that's a whole new level ofsatisfaction.Before this turns into a full length bio, I'll wrap it up for now. Hieveryone, glad to be here.Carl "Slip'r" HixonFYI--Slip'r comes from my flight instructor. The Citabria I trained indidn't have flaps and I could never land without Slipping it in. I gotto be quite the expert! ------ Message Header Follows ------ (PostalUnion/SMTP(tm) v2.1.8d for Windows NT(tm))1997 19:59:03 UT by yvax.byu.edu (PMDF V5.1-8 #23832) with ESMTP id forDate: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 12:39:54 -0700________________________________________________________________________________