Pietenpol-List: What is a babbit/babbiting?

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: What is a babbit/babbiting?

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: jimvan1(at)juno.com
Or is it "babbet/babbeting"? In any case, I know bupkis about the Model A and have seen that term many times. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: What is a babbit/babbiting?

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: grhans(at)freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
>Or is it "babbet/babbeting"? In any case, I know bupkis about the Model A=>and have seen that term many times. Any clarification would be greatly>appreciated.>>Well, with my poor english I will try to explain my experience in this area:About 30 years ago I tried to rebuild a Model A Ford, as a teenager nevergot enough money to finish it and finily changed it for a new VW!When I rebuilded the engine I got the conecting rod "rebabited" by an oldmechanic... The new cars hace the conecting rod bearings as two shells that areoversized as the amount of grinding the cranksahft needs (.010, .020,etc.).... In the old times there was no "spare" bearings, you had to send yourcrankshaft to a grinder and also send the conecting rods to "melt thebabbit" (in M=E9xico EMBABBITAR) in the conecting rod with enough material= to,proceed to close the conecting rod "circle". each conecting rod was then"honned" or "calibrated" exactly to the especificactions (tolerances) thenit was tested (each one in his position in the crankshaft) with a litlleblue string like "clay" that was messured the amount it expanded when"torqued" with a special gauge.... it it was to "wide" it needed more amountof grinding.... If the operator was not good enough and got more grinding,then he needed to "remelt" it again and beguin once more.... lots of work.Hope a got explained good enough to get understud.Saludos (no more) :-(=09EAA Chapter 1039 President ggower(at)informador.com.mx ~1,800 VW 2 place "Gtub"(50%)(own design)FAI= legalGuadalajara, Jalisco, MEXICOChapala Aerodrome Alt 4,997 asl N 20=BA19.506' W 103=BA08.203' (Got the= GPS!) "Cuando inducimos a alguien a nuestro deporte debemos ser firmes tambien enque mantenga optimo su estado fisico, entrenamiento y aeronave" - Julian= Taber(When we involve anyone else in flying we should be held to a high standardin term of medical, trainnig and plane upkeeping - Julian Taber)________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: What is a babbit/babbiting?

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Hixon, Carl"
writes:Or is it "babbet/babbeting"? In any case, I know bupkis about the Model A and have seen that term many times. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.Rebabbitting is the act of pouring melted metal (babbit) into the engineblock where the crankshaft runs. Modern engines have replaceable bearingshells.JimV.________________________________________________________________________________