Pietenpol-List: My First "In-Person" look at a Piet

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: My First "In-Person" look at a Piet

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: rdecosta(at)autoeurope.com (Richard DeCosta)
Well, it's been a very interesting day at the airfield. My wife & son & I left at 6am this morning to go there, had a pancake breakfast at the field to benefit the local EAA, and tehn I got my first in-person look at the Piet. What a pretty bird! I will have about 15+ pictures of it plus other planes that flew in there, by Monday noon-ish. My first impression of the Piet was "Wow, its alot smaller in person!" I was expecting a bigger plane. No matter. after a good look at the cockpit I decided its just fine. This particular plane was in MINT condition, an absolutely gorgeous airplane inside and out!.-- Unfortunately, it's not quite so mint anymore. Just after touchdown on it's first flight of the day, the right bungee cord snapped, the wheel got pushed back, rubbed against the cable, which acted as a brake, and the poor guy flipped right over onto its back. Myself, the pilots father, and another gentleman who were standing right next to the runway (me with my camera) ran to the plane immediately. Turns out the pilot had just a bloody nose and a bruised ego, but the poor little Piet is going to need at least a winter's worth of work. :( For a while afterwards, I started to have my doubts about the plane, but, this is the first encounter I've had with one, and accidents will happen. Hopefully I will be able to see it fly again in the spring. In the meanwhile, I wait for my plans to arrive...Richard________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: My First "In-Person" look at a Piet

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> Steve Eldredge
I have pics, but they are such poor quality they wouldnt do any good. I was too far away, plus my digital camera was set on a low quality due to low batteries. (You wouldnt even be able to tell its a Piet, unless I told you).Anyway, about how the plane held up, I must say, remarkably well. The plane flipped at about 30 MPH, after the initial touchdown). Strangely enought, the prop was barely damaged, just a ding on one side (how? I dont know). The gas cap and radiator cap, which were taller than a normal ones, snapped off, spilling both gas and water. No fire, thank goodness. One of the wing struts broke from the force of the wheel hitting it, and the wing ended up being crooked (looking from the front it was tilted about 10 degrees to the left). I dont know how much damage to the wing itself. Not much I think. The plane was flipped back onto its gear by about 6 people, and was rolled back to its hangar (a VERY, VERY sad sight, since the plane was literally IMMACULATE when I took the pictures of it that morning). The plane took care of its pilot. Only a bloody nose. I think it was from hitting the instrument panel (I didnt hear all of the conversation). He WAS waring shoulder straps when it flipped.I havnt talked to the pilot or the builder since then, since they both left the field and hadnt come back before I left, so I dont know EXACTLY what else was damaged. I am going to be calling him tomorrow.> Richard, what kind of damage occured, how did they clear the runway,> was the faa involved? Give us the> rest of the story!!! I'm interested in how the wing held up (side-down)> and protected the pilot, gas spills, etc.> > Stevee> > Got any pics?> SE
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: My First "In-Person" look at a Piet

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Steve Pugh
Richard DeCosta wrote:> Well, it's been a very interesting day at the airfield. My wife & son> & I left at 6am this morning to go there, had a pancake breakfast at> the field to benefit the local EAA, and tehn I got my first in-person> look at the Piet. What a pretty bird! I will have about 15+ pictures> of it plus other planes that flew in there, by Monday noon-ish.>> My first impression of the Piet was "Wow, its alot smaller in> person!" I was expecting a bigger plane. No matter. after a good look> at the cockpit I decided its just fine. This particular plane was in> MINT condition, an absolutely gorgeous airplane inside and out!.--> Unfortunately, it's not quite so mint anymore. Just after touchdown> on it's first flight of the day, the right bungee cord snapped, the> wheel got pushed back, rubbed against the cable, which acted as a> brake, and the poor guy flipped right over onto its back. Myself, the> pilots father, and another gentleman who were standing right next> to the runway (me with my camera) ran to the plane immediately. Turns> out the pilot had just a bloody nose and a bruised ego, but the poor> little Piet is going to need at least a winter's worth of work. :(> For a while afterwards, I started to have my doubts about the plane,> but, this is the first encounter I've had with one, and accidents> will happen. Hopefully I will be able to see it fly again in the> spring. In the meanwhile, I wait for my plans to arrive...>> Richard Richard, what kind of damage occured, how did they clear the runway,was the faa involved? Give us therest of the story!!! I'm interested in how the wing held up (side-down)and protected the pilot, gas spills, etc.SteveeGot any pics?SE________________________________________________________________________________