Pietenpol-List: Iron Duke Again

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Iron Duke Again

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: baileys(at)ktis.net (Robert M. Bailey)
Hello List,I did some quick searches on Iron Duke Engines and found a number of sites.http://is.rice.edu/~arnold/cj-8.htmhttp ... .htmlTurns out it was even used in the CJ-8 and Pontiac had a "SUPER DUTY"version for racing. I have not confirmed this, but I'm told by a racingfriend that it is essentially half of a GM V8.As near as I can tell they were in production from 1977 to 1988.I clipped this from one site:They have been used starting in 1977 in Astras, Sunbirds, Monza, Skyhawkand Skylarks. Since then they have been used in almost every GM FWD alongwith Camaros, Firebirds, S-10 trucks and Blazers and even Jeep Cherokees.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Iron Duke Again

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: UUNet
>>>Hello List,>I did some quick searches on Iron Duke Engines and found a number ofsites.>>http://is.rice.edu/~arnold/cj-8.htm>htt ... tml>>Turns out it was even used in the CJ-8 and Pontiac had a "SUPER DUTY">version for racing. I have not confirmed this, but I'm told by a racing>friend that it is essentially half of a GM V8.>>As near as I can tell they were in production from 1977 to 1988.>>I clipped this from one site:>They have been used starting in 1977 in Astras, Sunbirds, Monza, Skyhawk>and Skylarks. Since then they have been used in almost every GM FWDalong>with Camaros, Firebirds, S-10 trucks and Blazers and even JeepCherokees.>IIRC, they go back much further than 1977. I believe they were thebase engines for the Nova series in the early 60's. Dramaticallyupgraded in ignition and fuel systems over the years, but still thesame basic engine. 60's era Novas with a 6-cyl engine carried a badgeon the fender indicating the upgrade from the base four. Never heardof a racing version, though. Gotta wonder what class it was raced in,especially back then.Glenn "Clash of the Midgets" Scherer________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:>> UUNet
Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Iron Duke Again>Yes, it was written up in the BPA newsletter and it is on the BPA web>site.>http://members.aol.com/bpabpa7315/cav.html>This engine was orginally produced by GM for the small Buick/Olds cars and>was used by Steve Whittman in a tailwind. He mounted it upside down and>used a modified bell housing to carry an short drive shaft and bearing>assembly.>Here again is a perfectly fine engine, but with the same problem, lack of>parts. GM has removed it from their parts catalogs so it is difficult to>even find a part number for a needed item.>Bob B.>>----------
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: baileys(at)ktis.net (Robert M. Bailey)
Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Iron Duke Again>>>>>>>Hello List,>>I did some quick searches on Iron Duke Engines and found a number ofsites.>>>>http://is.rice.edu/~arnold/cj-8.htm>>ht ... l>>>>Turns out it was even used in the CJ-8 and Pontiac had a "SUPER DUTY">>version for racing. I have not confirmed this, but I'm told by a racing>>friend that it is essentially half of a GM V8.>>>>As near as I can tell they were in production from 1977 to 1988.>>>>I clipped this from one site:>>They have been used starting in 1977 in Astras, Sunbirds, Monza, Skyhawk>>and Skylarks. Since then they have been used in almost every GM FWD along>>with Camaros, Firebirds, S-10 trucks and Blazers and even Jeep Cherokees.>>>>IIRC, they go back much further than 1977. I believe they were the>base engines for the Nova series in the early 60's. Dramatically>upgraded in ignition and fuel systems over the years, but still the>same basic engine. 60's era Novas with a 6-cyl engine carried a badge>on the fender indicating the upgrade from the base four. Never heard>of a racing version, though. Gotta wonder what class it was raced in,>especially back then.>>Glenn "Clash of the Midgets" Scherer>>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Glenn Scherer
All,Glenn's comment about the Nova has me wondering. Has anyone ever used asmall six cyclinder in a Piet? Other than of course the Covair...Maybeanother case of "why look further than the Orginal"!But what exactly is the range of weights that could be possible up front. Irealize that Bernie's design allows for wing movement to compensate, and Istill have to think that a slightly heavier engine would allow for increasedweight limits in the back seat without drastic wing movement.Didn't someone install a small V8 before too?Jimjgw(at)village.uunet.be-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> UUNet
Yes, it was written up in the BPA newsletter and it is on the BPA website.http://members.aol.com/bpabpa7315/cav.htmlThis engine was orginally produced by GM for the small Buick/Olds cars andwas used by Steve Whittman in a tailwind. He mounted it upside down andused a modified bell housing to carry an short drive shaft and bearingassembly.Here again is a perfectly fine engine, but with the same problem, lack ofparts. GM has removed it from their parts catalogs so it is difficult toeven find a part number for a needed item.Bob B.
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Robert M. Bailey
I suspect Corvair parts are not that much a problem. It is enough of an'enthusiast car' that it has its own mail order suppliers. The Model A islike that. I also have a '35 Ford Tudoor awaiting restoration. I worrynone about getting parts for it.John-----Original Message-----
matronics

> Re: Iron Duke Again

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Paris Wilcox
> > All,> > Glenn's comment about the Nova has me wondering. Has anyone ever used a> Didn't someone install a small V8 before too?> > Jim> ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

>> Re: Iron Duke Again

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Peter P Frantz
>>>> All,>>>> Glenn's comment about the Nova has me wondering. Has anyone ever used a>> Didn't someone install a small V8 before too?>>>> Jim>>>>________________________________________________________________________________