Pietenpol-List: Fw: Santa's check ride

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Santa's check ride

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "David B. Schober"
Subject: Pietenpol-List: Santa's check ride>>>Here's one you guys should enjoy.>>>Santa Claus, like all flight operators, gets regular visits from theFederal>Aviation Administration, and the FAA examiner arrived last week for thepre->Christmas flight check.>>In preparation, Santa had the elves wash the sleigh and bathe all the>reindeer. Santa got his logbook out and made sure all his paperwork was in>order. He knew the examiner would inspect all his equipment and truly put>Santa's flying skills to the test.>>The examiner walked slowly around the sleigh. He checked the reindeer>harnesses, landing gear and Rudolf's nose. He carefully checked Santa's>weight and balance calulations for the sleigh's enormous payload.>>Finally, they were ready for the checkride. Santa got in, checked thecompass>and fastened his seatbelt and shoulder harness. Then the examiner hopped in>carrying, to Santa's great surprise, a shotgun !>>"This is a flight test - what's the gun for ? " asked Santa incredulously.>>The examiner winked and said " I shouldn't really tell you this ahead of>time, " as he leaned over to whisper in Santa's ear, " But you're gonnalose>an engine on takeoff. ">________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Fw: Santa's check ride

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:>> Brian3647(at)aol.com
Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Fw: Santa's check ride>Based on my experiance with the FAA, I'm suprised they had an examinerqualified>in a sleigh!>>John Greenlee wrote:>>> This is not new, but would probably still be a hit with this group.>>>> John>>>> -----Original Message-----
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Fw: Santa's check ride

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Brian3647(at)aol.com
This is not new, but would probably still be a hit with this group.John-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> Brian3647(at)aol.com
Based on my experiance with the FAA, I'm suprised they had an examiner qualifiedin a sleigh!John Greenlee wrote:> This is not new, but would probably still be a hit with this group.>> John>> -----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: David B. Schober
FAA?? The last time I sent a letter to Santa, it was in the North Pole andeveryone knows the North Pole is in Canada. So, the inspection would havebeen carried out by Transport Canada.Dom. Bellissimo, Toronto-----Original Message-----
matronics

> Re: Fw: Santa's check ride

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:>>> Brian3647(at)aol.com
Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Fw: Santa's check ride>FAA?? The last time I sent a letter to Santa, it was in the North Pole and>everyone knows the North Pole is in Canada. So, the inspection would have>been carried out by Transport Canada.>>Dom. Bellissimo, Toronto>-----Original Message----->From: David B. Schober >To: Pietenpol Discussion >Date: Monday, November 09, 1998 12:23 PM>Subject: Re: Fw: Santa's check ride>>>>Based on my experiance with the FAA, I'm suprised they had an examiner>qualified>>in a sleigh!>>>>John Greenlee wrote:>>>>> This is not new, but would probably still be a hit with this group.>>>>>> John>>>>>> -----Original Message-----
matronics

>> Re: Fw: Santa's check ride

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:>>>> Brian3647(at)aol.com
Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Fw: Santa's check ride>Not if it was a Homebuilt Dom. The RAA's AIR ABA (Airworthiness Inspector>Representative Amateur Built Aircraft) would probably have that job. What>would Santa's share of the travel expenses be?>>That discussion yesterday about Tapered crankshafts has me wondering. I>measured the A 65 and C80 in my shop and found they are both the same. My>ADC Cirrus engine has tha same design and taper but the diameters are>larger. Does anyone have a list of shaft sizes? Are they SAE standards?>>John Mc>-----Original Message----->From: Raffaele Bellissimo >To: Pietenpol Discussion >Date: Wednesday, November 11, 1998 4:00 PM>Subject: Re: Fw: Santa's check ride>>>>FAA?? The last time I sent a letter to Santa, it was in the North Pole and>>everyone knows the North Pole is in Canada. So, the inspection would have>>been carried out by Transport Canada.>>>>Dom. Bellissimo, Toronto>>-----Original Message----->>From: David B. Schober >>To: Pietenpol Discussion >>Date: Monday, November 09, 1998 12:23 PM>>Subject: Re: Fw: Santa's check ride>>>>>>>Based on my experiance with the FAA, I'm suprised they had an examiner>>qualified>>>in a sleigh!>>>>>>John Greenlee wrote:>>>>>>> This is not new, but would probably still be a hit with this group.>>>>>>>> John>>>>>>>> -----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Raffaele Bellissimo
Not if it was a Homebuilt Dom. The RAA's AIR ABA (Airworthiness InspectorRepresentative Amateur Built Aircraft) would probably have that job. Whatwould Santa's share of the travel expenses be?That discussion yesterday about Tapered crankshafts has me wondering. Imeasured the A 65 and C80 in my shop and found they are both the same. MyADC Cirrus engine has tha same design and taper but the diameters arelarger. Does anyone have a list of shaft sizes? Are they SAE standards?John Mc-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> Raffaele Bellissimo
The taper on the continental A series engines is an SAE 0 taper per the typecertificate data sheet. The data sheet for the Cirrus doesn't call out a taper.The machinery handbook doesn't list SAE tapers and I don't have access to SAEspecs.A comment was made about props used on tapered vs. flanged shafts. Most of theprops I've seen have the counterbores in the hub for the flange shaft. To usethese props on the tapered hub you need to install bushings in the counterbore.If you have a prop without the counterbore, it can only be used with the taperedtype hub.John McNarry wrote:> Not if it was a Homebuilt Dom. The RAA's AIR ABA (Airworthiness Inspector> Representative Amateur Built Aircraft) would probably have that job. What> would Santa's share of the travel expenses be?>> That discussion yesterday about Tapered crankshafts has me wondering. I> measured the A 65 and C80 in my shop and found they are both the same. My> ADC Cirrus engine has tha same design and taper but the diameters are> larger. Does anyone have a list of shaft sizes? Are they SAE standards?>> John Mc> -----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: John McNarry
John,You are quite right it would be the RAA. Santa's share of the travel wouldbe the same price as everyone else. Don't think it would cost anymore due tothe greater distance.Dom. Bellissimo-----Original Message-----
matronics

> Santa's check ride

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Eli or Robert or Teresa Bozeman
> Subject: Santa's check ride>> >> >> >> >Here's one you guys should enjoy.> >> >> >Santa Claus, like all flight operators, gets regular visits from the> Federal> >Aviation Administration, and the FAA examiner arrived last week for the> pre-> >Christmas flight check.> >> >In preparation, Santa had the elves wash the sleigh and bathe all the> >reindeer. Santa got his logbook out and made sure all his paperwork was in> >order. He knew the examiner would inspect all his equipment and truly put> >Santa's flying skills to the test.> >> >The examiner walked slowly around the sleigh. He checked the reindeer> >harnesses, landing gear and Rudolf's nose. He carefully checked Santa's> >weight and balance calulations for the sleigh's enormous payload.> >> >Finally, they were ready for the checkride. Santa got in, checked the> compass> >and fastened his seatbelt and shoulder harness. Then the examiner hopped in> >carrying, to Santa's great surprise, a shotgun !> >> >"This is a flight test - what's the gun for ? " asked Santa incredulously.> >> >The examiner winked and said " I shouldn't really tell you this ahead of> >time, " as he leaned over to whisper in Santa's ear, " But you're gonna> lose> >an engine on takeoff. "> >--David B.Schober, CPEInstructor, Aviation MaintenanceFairmont State CollegeNational Aerospace Education CenterRt. 3 Box 13Bridgeport, WV 26330-9503(304) 842-8300________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

>> Santa's check ride

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: fishin
>> Subject: Santa's check ride>>>> >>> >>> >>> >Here's one you guys should enjoy.>> >>> >>> >Santa Claus, like all flight operators, gets regular visits from the>> Federal>> >Aviation Administration, and the FAA examiner arrived last week for the>> pre->> >Christmas flight check.>> >>> >In preparation, Santa had the elves wash the sleigh and bathe all the>> >reindeer. Santa got his logbook out and made sure all his paperwork wasin>> >order. He knew the examiner would inspect all his equipment and trulyput>> >Santa's flying skills to the test.>> >>> >The examiner walked slowly around the sleigh. He checked the reindeer>> >harnesses, landing gear and Rudolf's nose. He carefully checked Santa's>> >weight and balance calulations for the sleigh's enormous payload.>> >>> >Finally, they were ready for the checkride. Santa got in, checked the>> compass>> >and fastened his seatbelt and shoulder harness. Then the examiner hoppedin>> >carrying, to Santa's great surprise, a shotgun !>> >>> >"This is a flight test - what's the gun for ? " asked Santaincredulously.>> >>> >The examiner winked and said " I shouldn't really tell you this aheadof>> >time, " as he leaned over to whisper in Santa's ear, " But you're gonna>> lose>> >an engine on takeoff. ">> >>>>-->**>David B.Schober, CPE>Instructor, Aviation Maintenance>Fairmont State College>National Aerospace Education Center>Rt. 3 Box 13>Bridgeport, WV 26330-9503>(304) 842-8300>>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

>>> Santa's check ride

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Rcaprd(at)aol.com
>>> Subject: Santa's check ride>>>>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >Here's one you guys should enjoy.>>> >>>> >>>> >Santa Claus, like all flight operators, gets regular visits from the>>> Federal>>> >Aviation Administration, and the FAA examiner arrived last week for the>>> pre->>> >Christmas flight check.>>> >>>> >In preparation, Santa had the elves wash the sleigh and bathe all the>>> >reindeer. Santa got his logbook out and made sure all his paperworkwas>in>>> >order. He knew the examiner would inspect all his equipment and truly>put>>> >Santa's flying skills to the test.>>> >>>> >The examiner walked slowly around the sleigh. He checked the reindeer>>> >harnesses, landing gear and Rudolf's nose. He carefully checkedSanta's>>> >weight and balance calulations for the sleigh's enormous payload.>>> >>>> >Finally, they were ready for the checkride. Santa got in, checked the>>> compass>>> >and fastened his seatbelt and shoulder harness. Then the examinerhopped>in>>> >carrying, to Santa's great surprise, a shotgun !>>> >>>> >"This is a flight test - what's the gun for ? " asked Santa>incredulously.>>> >>>> >The examiner winked and said " I shouldn't really tell you this ahead>of>>> >time, " as he leaned over to whisper in Santa's ear, " But you're gonna>>> lose>>> >an engine on takeoff. ">>> >>>>>>>>>-->>*>**>>David B.Schober, CPE>>Instructor, Aviation Maintenance>>Fairmont State College>>National Aerospace Education Center>>Rt. 3 Box 13>>Bridgeport, WV 26330-9503>>(304) 842-8300>>>>>>>>>>>>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

> > Re: Fw: Santa's check ride

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> >>> Brian3647(at)aol.com
> Subject: Re: Fw: Santa's check ride>> >FAA?? The last time I sent a letter to Santa, it was in the North Pole and> >everyone knows the North Pole is in Canada. So, the inspection would have> >been carried out by Transport Canada.> >> >Dom. Bellissimo, Toronto> >-----Original Message-----> >From: David B. Schober > >To: Pietenpol Discussion > >Date: Monday, November 09, 1998 12:23 PM> >Subject: Re: Fw: Santa's check ride> >> >> >>Based on my experiance with the FAA, I'm suprised they had an examiner> >qualified> >>in a sleigh!> >>> >>John Greenlee wrote:> >>> >>> This is not new, but would probably still be a hit with this group.> >>>> >>> John> >>>> >>> -----Original Message-----
matronics

> >>> Santa's check ride

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: mboynton(at)mailexcite.com
> >>> Subject: Santa's check ride> >>>> >>> >> >>> >> >>> >> >>> >Here's one you guys should enjoy.> >>> >> >>> >> >>> >Santa Claus, like all flight operators, gets regular visits from the> >>> Federal> >>> >Aviation Administration, and the FAA examiner arrived last week for the> >>> pre-> >>> >Christmas flight check.> >>> >> >>> >In preparation, Santa had the elves wash the sleigh and bathe all the> >>> >reindeer. Santa got his logbook out and made sure all his paperwork> was> >in> >>> >order. He knew the examiner would inspect all his equipment and truly> >put> >>> >Santa's flying skills to the test.> >>> >> >>> >The examiner walked slowly around the sleigh. He checked the reindeer> >>> >harnesses, landing gear and Rudolf's nose. He carefully checked> Santa's> >>> >weight and balance calulations for the sleigh's enormous payload.> >>> >> >>> >Finally, they were ready for the checkride. Santa got in, checked the> >>> compass> >>> >and fastened his seatbelt and shoulder harness. Then the examiner> hopped> >in> >>> >carrying, to Santa's great surprise, a shotgun !> >>> >> >>> >"This is a flight test - what's the gun for ? " asked Santa> >incredulously.> >>> >> >>> >The examiner winked and said " I shouldn't really tell you this ahead> >of> >>> >time, " as he leaned over to whisper in Santa's ear, " But you're gonna> >>> lose> >>> >an engine on takeoff. "> >>> >> >>> >>> >>> >>--> >>> *> >**> >>David B.Schober, CPE> >>Instructor, Aviation Maintenance> >>Fairmont State College> >>National Aerospace Education Center> >>Rt. 3 Box 13> >>Bridgeport, WV 26330-9503> >>(304) 842-8300> >>> >>> >>> >>> >>> >> >--David B.Schober, CPEInstructor, Aviation MaintenanceFairmont State CollegeNational Aerospace Education CenterRt. 3 Box 13Bridgeport, WV 26330-9503(304) 842-8300________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

>>>> Santa's check ride

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Raffaele Bellissimo
>>>> Subject: Santa's check ride>>>>>>>> >>>>> >>>>> >>>>> >Here's one you guys should enjoy.>>>> >>>>> >>>>> >Santa Claus, like all flight operators, gets regular visits from the>>>> Federal>>>> >Aviation Administration, and the FAA examiner arrived last week forthe>>>> pre->>>> >Christmas flight check.>>>> >>>>> >In preparation, Santa had the elves wash the sleigh and bathe all the>>>> >reindeer. Santa got his logbook out and made sure all his paperwork>was>>in>>>> >order. He knew the examiner would inspect all his equipment and truly>>put>>>> >Santa's flying skills to the test.>>>> >>>>> >The examiner walked slowly around the sleigh. He checked the reindeer>>>> >harnesses, landing gear and Rudolf's nose. He carefully checked>Santa's>>>> >weight and balance calulations for the sleigh's enormous payload.>>>> >>>>> >Finally, they were ready for the checkride. Santa got in, checked the>>>> compass>>>> >and fastened his seatbelt and shoulder harness. Then the examiner>hopped>>in>>>> >carrying, to Santa's great surprise, a shotgun !>>>> >>>>> >"This is a flight test - what's the gun for ? " asked Santa>>incredulously.>>>> >>>>> >The examiner winked and said " I shouldn't really tell you thisahead>>of>>>> >time, " as he leaned over to whisper in Santa's ear, " But you'regonna>>>> lose>>>> >an engine on takeoff. ">>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>-->>>*>*>>**>>>David B.Schober, CPE>>>Instructor, Aviation Maintenance>>>Fairmont State College>>>National Aerospace Education Center>>>Rt. 3 Box 13>>>Bridgeport, WV 26330-9503>>>(304) 842-8300>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>________________________________________________________________________________