Pietenpol-List: smokies

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: smokies

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Sayre, William G"
Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: smokiesHi Michael. You're right about the capacity issue, it does seem to emptyout pretty fast. Now if I can figure out how to strap a 55 gal barrel tothebottom of the plane, hum....Robert>Congratulations Robert on your initial smoke system check out.>I remember my first flight w/ this setup and upon landing my first>comment to a fellow pilot on the field was "I need a bigger container !">I use a two quart (Wal-Mart) poly bottle w/ a hand pump/spray setup.>Fun in a can.>>Mike C.>>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: smokies

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "BELLISSIMO, DOMENIC"
Hi List. We got the smoke fitting welded to the exhaust yesterday, and Ihad a chance to test the smoke system last night. There's a few bugs towork out, and I'll eventually post some pictures, but in a nutshell thething worked really good. I used a model airplane smoke pump (availablefrom the bigger model shops or magazines), it's about 1" x 1" x 4", and verylight. For the oil tank, I used a one quart capacity model airplane gastank. To this I added a 6 volt lantern batters, and a little push switch.The whole unit is small, and I can put it either under the seat, or in alittle glove box in the passenger cockpit, then run the push switch back tothe pilot area.Initial tests went really well, with lots of smoke with the Cont 65 just ata fast idle. I first drilled one #60 hole in the exhaust, but later drilleda second. May want to plug the second, still working on that end. I ran a1/8" hose from the engine area back to the CSS (Cuy Smoke System, I have togive Michael credit somewhere:o)), and put a quick disconnect in the line,so that the oil can't drool out of the line if taken apart.So I have a little more experimenting to do, but this little unit iscompact, light, and easy to build.More later!Robert Hensarling GN-1 N83887________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: robert hensarling
Congratulations Robert on your initial smoke system check out.I remember my first flight w/ this setup and upon landing my firstcomment to a fellow pilot on the field was "I need a bigger container !"I use a two quart (Wal-Mart) poly bottle w/ a hand pump/spray setup.Fun in a can.Mike C. ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael D Cuy
-----Original Message-----
matronics

Pietenpol-List: RE: smokies

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> robert hensarling[SMTP:rhrocker(at)admin.hilconet.com]
> Now if I can figure out how to strap a 55 gal barrel tothe> bottom of the plane, hum....> > Hmmmmm.A Pietenpol with drop tanks?Bill> ----------
matronics

Pietenpol-List: RE: smokies

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:>> robert hensarling[SMTP:rhrocker(at)admin.hilconet.com]
Has anyone put a smoke system on a Model A? I wondered if the straight-outplacement of the exhaust stacks would blow the smoke in the pilot's face.Seems like the Cont. exhaust gets it lower on the side of the plane.Al Swanson>> Now if I can figure out how to strap a 55 gal barrel tothe>> bottom of the plane, hum....>> >> >Hmmmmm.>A Pietenpol with drop tanks?>>Bill>> ----------
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> Michael D Cuy
Hi Mike!Instead of going "full auto" with your smoke -- practice your dots & dashesso you can communcate with the Pietenpol Aerial Armada!Have you discovered any colors? -- or is it "any color you want as long asit is white"?Mike in Pretty Prairie, KS
matronics

>> Re: smokies

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: lolata
Subject: Pietenpol-List: RE: smokies>I want some green if you ever find out what it is!>>Steve Eldredge>IT Services>Brigham Young University>>>> -----Original Message----->> Warren Shoun>> Sent: Tuesday, June 01, 1999 12:46 PM>> To: Pietenpol Discussion>> Subject: Re: smokies>> >> >> The Italian national aerobatic team uses colored oil >> additives for their>> performances, EXCEPT in those areas that have EPA >> restrictions, as the color>> additives are considered to be excessively polluting. Also, >> the planes must be>> wiped down immediately after performance as the color >> additives are extremely>> difficult for the ground crew to remove when fully dry. Read >> this recently in>> a British aero magazine while browsing at Barnes & Noble. >> The article never>> did describe what the additives were.>> >> John Duprey wrote:>> >> > I Don't know if this is correct but I heard that colors >> were done with>> > flares, A one shot deal.>> >>> >> >>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: steve(at)byu.edu
>Hi Mike!>>Instead of going "full auto" with your smoke -- practice your dots & dashes>so you can communcate with the Pietenpol Aerial Armada!>>Have you discovered any colors? -- or is it "any color you want as long as>it is white"?>>Mike in Pretty Prairie, KSHello Mike !You got it- any color you like as long as it is white. (so far, that is)Many people have asked me about how I could get other colors but asof yet I have not heard how that's done.Mike C. in little Valley City, Ohio :)________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

I Don't know if this is correct but I heard that colors were done withflares, A one shot deal.John Duprey> >Hi Mike!> >> >Instead of going "full auto" with your smoke -- practice your dots &dashes> >so you can communcate with the Pietenpol Aerial Armada!> >> >Have you discovered any colors? -- or is it "any color you want as longas> >it is white"?> >> >Mike in Pretty Prairie, KS> > Hello Mike !> > You got it- any color you like as long as it is white. (so far, that is)> Many people have asked me about how I could get other colors but as> of yet I have not heard how that's done.> > Mike C. in little Valley City, Ohio :)> "the Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

> Re: smokies

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Warren Shoun
Seems to make sense to me. I remember making colored smoke in chemistryclass years ago by burning different elements. Kinda hard to replicate butwho knows?Steve EldredgeIT ServicesBrigham Young University> -----Original Message-----> John Duprey> Sent: Tuesday, June 01, 1999 12:20 PM> To: Pietenpol Discussion> Subject: Re: smokies>>> I Don't know if this is correct but I heard that colors were done with> flares, A one shot deal.>> John Duprey>>> > >Hi Mike!> > >> > >Instead of going "full auto" with your smoke -- practice> your dots &> dashes> > >so you can communcate with the Pietenpol Aerial Armada!> > >> > >Have you discovered any colors? -- or is it "any color you> want as long> as> > >it is white"?> > >> > >Mike in Pretty Prairie, KS> >> > Hello Mike !> >> > You got it- any color you like as long as it is white. (so> far, that is)> > Many people have asked me about how I could get other colors but as> > of yet I have not heard how that's done.> >> > Mike C. in little Valley City, Ohio :)> >>> "the Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient">>> _______________________________________________________>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: John Greenlee
The Italian national aerobatic team uses colored oil additives for theirperformances, EXCEPT in those areas that have EPA restrictions, as the coloradditives are considered to be excessively polluting. Also, the planes must bewiped down immediately after performance as the color additives are extremelydifficult for the ground crew to remove when fully dry. Read this recently ina British aero magazine while browsing at Barnes & Noble. The article neverdid describe what the additives were.John Duprey wrote:> I Don't know if this is correct but I heard that colors were done with> flares, A one shot deal.>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

I want some green if you ever find out what it is!Steve EldredgeIT ServicesBrigham Young University> -----Original Message-----> Warren Shoun> Sent: Tuesday, June 01, 1999 12:46 PM> To: Pietenpol Discussion> Subject: Re: smokies> > > The Italian national aerobatic team uses colored oil > additives for their> performances, EXCEPT in those areas that have EPA > restrictions, as the color> additives are considered to be excessively polluting. Also, > the planes must be> wiped down immediately after performance as the color > additives are extremely> difficult for the ground crew to remove when fully dry. Read > this recently in> a British aero magazine while browsing at Barnes & Noble. > The article never> did describe what the additives were.> > John Duprey wrote:> > > I Don't know if this is correct but I heard that colors > were done with> > flares, A one shot deal.> >> > ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: DonanClara(at)aol.com
Normally those formulas are "profesional secrets" of the aerobatics teams...Every place there is competition.SaludosGary Gower> The Italian national aerobatic team uses colored oil additives for their>performances, EXCEPT in those areas that have EPA restrictions, as the color>additives are considered to be excessively polluting. Also, the planes must be>wiped down immediately after performance as the color additives are extremely>difficult for the ground crew to remove when fully dry. Read this recently in>a British aero magazine while browsing at Barnes & Noble. The article never>did describe what the additives were.>>John Duprey wrote:>>> I Don't know if this is correct but I heard that colors were done with>> flares, A one shot deal.>>>>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

SPINACH!-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> steve(at)byu.edu
Hi there, I used some colord smoke on a crop duster once. Got it from a supplierbut can't remember where. I just called the Canadian Snow Birds. One oftheir crew chiefs led me to the supplier. I got some samples for free, notenough to do much with. Their recommendation was using a ratio of 50/50,oil to dye. The dye is very expensive and the supplier would only sell itby the 55 gallon drum, looks neat though.LeonEarl Myers wrote:> SPINACH!> -----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: dannymac
> Subject: Re: smokies> > Hi Michael. You're right about the capacity issue, it does seem to empty> out pretty fast. Now if I can figure out how to strap a 55 gal barrel tothe> bottom of the plane, hum....> Robert> > > >Congratulations Robert on your initial smoke system check out.> >I remember my first flight w/ this setup and upon landing my first> >comment to a fellow pilot on the field was "I need a bigger container !"> >I use a two quart (Wal-Mart) poly bottle w/ a hand pump/spray setup.> >Fun in a can.> >> >Mike C.> >> >> ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

>> Re: smokies

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael Brusilow
>> Subject: Re: smokies>> >> Hi Michael. You're right about the capacity issue, it does seem to empty>> out pretty fast. Now if I can figure out how to strap a 55 gal barrel tothe>> bottom of the plane, hum....>> Robert>> >> >> >Congratulations Robert on your initial smoke system check out.>> >I remember my first flight w/ this setup and upon landing my first>> >comment to a fellow pilot on the field was "I need a bigger container !">> >I use a two quart (Wal-Mart) poly bottle w/ a hand pump/spray setup.>> >Fun in a can.>> >>> >Mike C.>> >>> >>> >>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: oil can
> > Congratulations Robert on your initial smoke system check out.> I remember my first flight w/ this setup and upon landing my first> comment to a fellow pilot on the field was "I need a bigger container !"> I use a two quart (Wal-Mart) poly bottle w/ a hand pump/spray setup.> Fun in a can.> > Mike C. ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

> >> Re: smokies

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: greg(at)controlvision.com (Greg Yotz)
> Subject: RE: smokies>> >I want some green if you ever find out what it is!> >> >Steve Eldredge> >IT Services> >Brigham Young University> >> >> >> -----Original Message-----> >> Warren Shoun> >> Sent: Tuesday, June 01, 1999 12:46 PM> >> To: Pietenpol Discussion> >> Subject: Re: smokies> >>> >>> >> The Italian national aerobatic team uses colored oil> >> additives for their> >> performances, EXCEPT in those areas that have EPA> >> restrictions, as the color> >> additives are considered to be excessively polluting. Also,> >> the planes must be> >> wiped down immediately after performance as the color> >> additives are extremely> >> difficult for the ground crew to remove when fully dry. Read> >> this recently in> >> a British aero magazine while browsing at Barnes & Noble.> >> The article never> >> did describe what the additives were.> >>> >> John Duprey wrote:> >>> >> > I Don't know if this is correct but I heard that colors> >> were done with> >> > flares, A one shot deal.> >> >> >>> >>> >> >________________________________________________________________________________