Pietenpol-List: perfect editorial comment

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: perfect editorial comment

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Cuy, Michael D. (GRC-RXD0)[ASRC]"
IMHO There is no doubt the Mr. Pietenpol was a genius, he was also a very inovative person. One wonders what is opinion would be on a discussion like this.That said, one must respect the opinions of those who hold great affection for the orginial Piet design. It is a true classic.On the other hand, It would be nice to see a modern version of the Piet emerge that embodied the same characteristics as the orginial. Maybe it should be called the Un-Piet. The GN-1 was a step in that direction, but it too is getting a little "long in the tooth." Piper Cub landing gears are pretty hard to find. The cost of certified a/c spruce has gone completely off the chart.Maybe the best thing would be to have a two groups of Pietenpol fans; one for the tradtionlist and one for the experimentors?? Both under the same association, of course.IMHO We had better stay at least somewhat united, in our current political climate in a few years it may be illegal to own a private airplane. Between the environmentalists, the airlines, the FAA and the legal community it will be almost a miracle if the small VFR only aircraft will even exsist. Also the EAA has all but abandoned the orginal core group so there is not likely to be much help for the Piet from them.Just the musings of an old fool,Bob B.________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: perfect editorial commentDate: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 08:16:19 -0500
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: ????????? Aluminum Wing, Surely you Jest ?????????

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
Talk about prejudice! As far away as possible from the real Pietenpolbuilders?? Pietenpols are one of the most diversely built airplanes thereare. More variety of engines have been put in Pete's than just about anyairplane in existence. George Read's Piet/Jenny was heavily modded and itflew beautiful, I know because I had the pleasure of flying it. Maybe weshould consider BP a sinner since he was ALWAYS modding his planes beyondthe original design?! If BP was still with us I'm sure he would approve ofthe modding and experimentation of some builders with his planes, since hewas one himself!I'm normally lurking here quietly but, sometimes I feel the need to speakup. Jim T.-----Original Message-----
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: The last Pietenpol? was aluminum wing

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
If the Volks Plane was available with tandem seating it would be a goodchoice for a "modern" piet substitute.Bob -----Original Message-----
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: alum wing

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Dick Navratil"
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: alum wingDick,Excuse my butting in on your mail. Have a builder here in Shreveport who I called when I read your post because he is building a Volmer. I told him of the proposal to try and build a fuse at SNF. He is very interested and will probably attend. Name is:Chris Erickson318 7974321 OFF 8615005 RES_glider1(at)msn.com_ (mailto:glider1(at)msn.com) He would be interested in a Volmer contactCorky________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: alum wing

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Isablcorky(at)aol.com
Thanks CorkyI have been looking for other builders, there arent many. I will call him.Dick ----- Original Message -----
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: perfect editorial comment

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "GeneWeber"
Hello Jack,I've been lurking here for a while. Downloaded the archives and have been readingthrough it so I don't re-ask questions. Bought the EAA book on building withwood and read that. Bought WW's Corvair conversion manual and read that. Boughtall 4 Tony Bingelis books and am in the process of reading them. I'm a responsiblemiddle aged engineering manager with a wife, two kids, blah, blah whowants to build a plane and do it right. Everything I've read or heard indicatesthat climb performance is going to be directly related to the power to weightratio. So as Tony Bingelis recommends I'm trying to "think light", "buildlight". My question was in regards to a "standard" aluminum wing, nothing strange,unique or high tech. I've heard they are lighter than wood. I simply askedif anyone had any real world data on that with an AirCamper. Seemed prudentto see if "lighter" means 8 oz, or 15 lbs. Hardly think that means I "need myhead examined".GeneBTW: I am also considering building a Sonex, Zenith 601, or FFP Celebrity. My 15year old daughter is lobbying for the AirCamper or Celebrity. I'm concernedthe Celebrity is probably too complicated for a first aircraft project. I'm stilltrying to weigh the plusses and minuses of the others.Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: perfect editorial comment
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Steve Glass"
Wow, I'm sorry I asked anything.Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

> Pietenpol-List: Re: perfect editorial comment

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Rick Holland"
Hi GeneDo not get upset. I have been lurking on this list for over a year. I'm on here because perhaps one day I will build a Pietenpol. I will not be afraid to modify as I see fit. I want to add all the lightness I can. Its my butt after all.Some people seem to think the plans were carved in stone and handed down from a mountain and to change the slighest think will result or should result in death.As a nation we have seemed to become very polarized. If you do not believe what I do you are evil and stupid. I think the world would be a very boring place if we all thought the same and drove the same kind of car and built the same kind of airplane.This list is great, the information is fantastic and the ultimate end should be to have fun doing what you enjoy.I would like to hear more about the "new airfoil"Steve in Maine>From: "GeneWeber" .>Reply-To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com>To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com>Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: perfect editorial comment>Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 10:25:21 -0700>>>Wow, I'm sorry I asked anything.>>>Read this topic online here:>>http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... _______The average US Credit Score is 675. The cost to see yours: $0 by Experian. http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/defa ... ______Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 12:17:45 -0700
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Re: alum wing

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Phillips, Jack"
>>>>>>Wow, I'm sorry I asked anything.>>>>>>>>>>Read this topic online here:>>>>http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... 466#103466>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> _________________________________________________________________> The average US Credit Score is 675. The cost to see yours: $0 by Experian. > http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/defa ... TERAVERAGE>>> ________________________________________________________________________________Subject: RE: Pietenpol-List: Re: alum wingDate: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 17:23:52 -0400