Pietenpol-List: project

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "skellytown flyer"
Howdy, Pieters;This from Raymond Hanover, who bought DJ Vegh's GN-1 project and is looking tosell or trade the Grand Rapids unit that is in it:>seriously would consider swapping for real instruments if you hear of anyone thatwants an EIS system.>my cell phone number is 806 663-1822 and house is 806 848-2838 .or they can E-mailme rhano(at)att.netDJ's website is still up and active and you can see all his construction progress photos, but the page that shows the EIS is here: http://www.imagedv.com/aircamper/log/im ... 4.htmOscar ZunigaAir Camper NX41CCSan Antonio, TXmailto: taildrags(at)hotmail.comwebsite at http://www.flysquirrel.net________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: project
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Roman Bukolt
i have been off the list as far as posting after changing e-mail servers but maybethis will work.I am trying to get moving again on the project I bought fromD.J. last year.I just pulled the Corvair engine from the mount this afternoonand decided to weigh it before moving it out of the way while I work on thefuselage.if I was seeing the scales right-( they were pretty well covered up withthe base I set it on) but including the 15# for the wood base I made to sitit on it looked like 240# so that would be about 225# without it.and that didn'tinclude the carb and tubing left hanging on the firewall,the starter or theexhaust stacks i removed,prop and bolts etc. does this sound reasonable? Isure would like to get this plane flying in the next year.but I am not real fondof the EIS unit in the panel.I know they are not cheap but seems to me thata couple of steam gages would look a lot more natural in a Piet.-well a GN-1anyway.RaymondRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Riblett install

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> Gary Boothe
The ONLY change you make in the wing from the Pietenpol plan is that because the rib is deeper (thicker chord) you may want to put a filler block above the spar to fill in the space between the spar and the top rib strip. Everything else is unchanged. all your fittings, aileron hinges, cabane attach plate, everything else is the same. There's a lot of people out there who Think they know what they're talking about and you have to "separate the wheat from the chaff".On Jul 25, 2008, at 12:00 PM, Michael Perez wrote:> I am interested in what I have heard about the Riblett design. I am > not concerned with making ribs of any kind...They do not seem > difficult at all. IF and I say IF, I can get a performance edge with > JUST a rib change, this is what I want to do. However, I have also > heard that there maybe some other mods needed to be done once you do > incorperate the Riblett ribs. If the ripple effect becomes too much > of a problem...I end up making lots of changes to use them, I will > go with the stock ribs. I hope to hear if I can just change the > ribs...everything else stays as drawn on the BHP plans. (locations > of fittings, rib spacing, wing length, mounting to fuse., etc.>> --- On Fri, 7/25/08, Gary Boothe wrote:
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Riblett install

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Clif Dawson"
Hi allThats an interesting point that you make about the blocks on to of the sparsI have built 32 of the Ribblett ribs and then not thinking went and ordered thespar material from the cutting list I have, hence the spar material is to smallfor my ribs,So I was planning to order some larger timber to make the sparsbigger.Do you think that using blocks would be sufficient ?CarsonRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Riblett install

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Roman Bukolt
Personally I would take advantage of that extra height witha taller spar to fit.Clif>> Hi all> Thats an interesting point that you make about the blocks on to of the > sparsI was planning to order some larger timber to make the spars bigger.> Do you think that using blocks would be sufficient ?> Carson>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Riblett install

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Tim Verthein
Considering the cost of Sitka spruce and adding 30 ft. of more wood and its weight and considering I've never heard of a Pietenpol wing folding, then unless you plan on doing some serious aerobatics, what's the point? Do a beam load calculation. You'll be amazed at the load that wing can support. And about weight, Bernard Pietenpol even routed out his 1" spars to SAVE weight.Plus your strut brackets will have to be extended and we're back to modifying other parts just like Perez mentioned.I'm going to go with the blocks.Roman Bukolt NX20795On Jul 26, 2008, at 2:11 AM, carson wrote:> >>> Hi all> Thats an interesting point that you make about the blocks on to of > the spars> I have built 32 of the Ribblett ribs and then not thinking went and > ordered the spar material from the cutting list I have, hence the > spar material is to small for my ribs,So I was planning to order > some larger timber to make the spars bigger.> Do you think that using blocks would be sufficient ?> Carson>>> Read this topic online here:>> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ______Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 06:27:45 -0700 (PDT)
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: project

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ben Ramler
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: How hard is it to get into the front seat

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Tom Anderson"
Ben I built the entire wing except for the wing tip bow, diagonals and plywood leading edge covering. then I made up the three airleron spars and slid them into place from the wing end and glued them in with T-88. The wing has to be square when this is done. I used the plumb bob method which is described at the top of page 66 of the " EAA Aircraft building Techniques WOOD" book checking the alighnment continuously during construction. If you don't have one it is available through EAA book store and well worth it but there are other methods of squareing the wing. I did one set of airleron spars with the wing verticle as shown in the book and the other wing horizontal on saw horses, the horizontal one was much easier to work with. All 30 ribs are identicle thanks to the genious of Mr. B. Pietenpol but the airleron spars only pick up the outer six/seven. Once the airleron spars were glued in I used my rib jig to make the inside end rib for the airleron. I used the wing tip bow to mark the airleron spar ends and carefully cut them to match up to the tip bow with a good sharp box saw. I then glued on the wing tip bow, the airleron diagonals. the inner end blocking and even installed my airleron hinges. I then cut the airleron free with my box saw. since it was part of the wing when it was built it fits perfectly. This is the way I did it and it worked perfectly I'm sure there are other valuable opinions from people on the list. Hope this helps. Ed Grentzer>From: Ben Ramler >Reply-To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com>To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com>Subject: Pietenpol-List: ribs and ailerons>Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 09:20:38 -0700 (PDT)>>>Afternoon Group,> Here's a question... Once all 31 ribs are made how many of the ribs >need to be set aside for the ailerons?>73,>Ben in MN>>________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: How hard is it to get into the front seat
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Kip and Beth Gardner
walt,How big-butted are you talking about here? Furthermore, is the Piet a truly capable 2-seater at all?--------Location: Eastern N.C.Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: How hard is it to get into the front seat

Post by matronics »

Tom,There is a saying that you may not have heard since you are fairly new to the list - "This plane was designed when midgets ruled the earth!" Bernard, by all accounts, was about 5'4" and weighed maybe 140 lbs. Now that's just about my size, and my wife is about the same, and our daughter will probably be about equal or less as an adult, so for us, yes, it's a capable 2-seater. Heck, we could even carry 50-60 lbs of baggage if there was space for it! For two 200+ lb. guys, add in a full load of fuel and you're close to gross, if not over, depending on how light or heavy you built your plane.Kip G.On Aug 5, 2008, at 2:48 PM, Tom Anderson wrote:> >> walt,> How big-butted are you talking about here?> Furthermore, is the Piet a truly capable 2-seater at all?>> --------> Location: Eastern N.C.>>> Read this topic online here:>> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ______Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 14:06:50 -0700 (PDT)
matronics

Pietenpol-List: ribs and ailerons

Post by matronics »

matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: ribs and ailerons

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
Yikes!Ben, what are you doing trying to build a plane without having or readingthe plans???The plans is all there is.There ain't no other way to do it.Maybe it's time to order a new set of plans (or put the project to rest).Or are you just pulling our collective leg?Bill C.-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Sncliffe(at)aol.com
I ran across this in a club newsletter I was checking out.Possibly worth looking into for someone near thislocation?Clif1932 Pietenpol Project for sale. $500 firm. Fuselage and plans. This fuselage is 1'3" longer and 3" wider than a normal Pietenpol. This one is the Extended version, set up for a Corvair motor. I have logs on since it was first started to be built. Excellent work and craftsmanship. Located Pawnee Rock, KS USA. Contact G. L. Zortman Telephone: 785-342-3496 or gzortman(at)gmail.com ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: project

Post by matronics »

Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Pietenpol-List Digest: 14 Msgs - 09/06/08How do I unsubscribe please? ________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: project
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Oscar Zuniga
I just e-mailed him on this as I am going right to that area to work this weekand thought I'd check it out.he replied that he has sold it if I understood himright.RaymondRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p 3044#203044________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: project

Post by matronics »

Oh well, maybe the buyer will be lucky enough to find ushere, just waiting for another poor innocent dude tosubvert. :-)Clif----- Original Message -----
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: project

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: charles loomis
matronics

> RE: Pietenpol-List: Riblett install

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
>> Michael,>>> I have not seen the =93Riblett=94 design, so cannot comment on that. I > will say, though, that making ribs according to BHP is not > difficult, though somewhat tedious. To break the tedium, I simply > have a board set aside with the rib template and work in ribs in > conjunction with everything else. At my present rate it will > probably take about a year to complete the ribs, while completing > tail and fuselage. The scraps of mahogany plywood from fuselage > construction work great to make into gussets!>>> Happy Building,>> Gary Boothe> Cool, Ca.> Pietenpol> WW Corvair Conversion> Tail done, working on fuselage> (10 ribs down=85)
matronics

> Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: project

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> "skellytown flyer"
> Dawson" > > Oh well, maybe the buyer will be lucky enough to find us> here, just waiting for another poor innocent dude to> subvert. :-)> > Clif> > > ----- Original Message -----
matronics

> > Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: project

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> > "skellytown flyer"
> > Dawson" > >> > Oh well, maybe the buyer will be lucky enough to find us> > here, just waiting for another poor innocent dude to> > subvert. :-)> >> > Clif> >> >> > ----- Original Message -----