Pietenpol-List: engine failure "thread"

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: engine failure "thread"

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: gliderx5(at)comcast.net
Hey William,I honestly didn't have any motivation other than curiosity. Jack's threadabout his engine-out reminded me of what I'd heard at Brodhead, so I asked.Each time something big like this happens, it's been discussed to helpeducate us flyers/builders. I remember a great deal of discussion re Jacks,John Dilatush's Subaru engine-out, my disaster, Kevins issue, Chris'Mitsubishi issues, Jeff's Ford issues and many others I can't remember.So that was it my friend, just sparked a memory I hadn't thought of sinceJuly. No harm, no foul.I think a good "vair is a fine engine if done right and don't have any axesto grind with them in any way. I've seen lots of nice ones flying around.Douwe________________________________________________________________________________Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 12:47:33 +0000 (UTC)
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Finding your own balance on expense vs investment

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Scott Knowlton
Terry,Yes I have ordered material for the build. My work space is set up and organized.No. I have not began construction. The weather here in Kansas is not yet what Ineed it to be for epoxies to develop their best bonds (my shop does not haveclimate control).In the mean time, I am taking the 'read the instruction manual cover to cover approach'before beginning, as advocated by anyone who ever wrote a constructionmanual. Such reading inspires questions. This forum exists for those questions.Sorry that I ask so many. I will try to meter my questions in such a way asnot to offend any more members, since you have implied that 34 posts in 29 daysis excessive.As for the BRS question: This product was made for experimental aircraft. Thereare $7000 aircraft flying with one installed. Asking such a question does notreflect my building priorities.--------Andy Garrett'General Purpose Creative Dude'Haysville, KansasRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Finding your own balance on expense vs investment
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Cuy, Michael D. (GRC-LME0)[Vantage Partners, LLC]"
Andy,Welcome to the list and group of builders of a great simple airplane. I've beenbuilding for ten years and have thoroughly enjoyed the process. Some great concurrentactivity I might suggest while you're waiting for the warmer "glue friendly"weather: Make yourself a rib jig - all materials you probably already have for this or couldpick up at Lowe's or Home Depot aviation departmentMock up a fuselage - this exercise helped me tremendously for all sorts of reasons.I got used to longerons and gussets and their amazing strength. I becamecomfortable with the cockpit size but also made decisions on my seat back angleand such. I had many mistakes out if the way before cutting in to expensivespruce. I turned it into a soapbox racer for my 11 year old (who moved out twoyears ago...time flies!). Make metal parts. Other than the gear brackets most of the parts can be made aheadof the wood build. If you have access to 4130 you can build your controlsystem, tailwheel, wing fittings, engine mount brackets etc.... Get them paintedand put them away for future use. You mentioned you're process driven and that is what you need to be to get thiskind of project done. The best spirit to have when walking in to your shop is"what can I get done today". Something - even a ten minute task of filing theburrs out of a metal fitting - is progress toward completion. I wish you the best of luck, enjoy the build, and the great people you'll meet.Scott KBurlington OnStraight axle, C85 Sent from my iPhone> On Mar 20, 2015, at 11:25 AM, "Andy Garrett" wrote:> > > Terry,> > Yes I have ordered material for the build. My work space is set up and organized.> > No. I have not began construction. The weather here in Kansas is not yet whatI need it to be for epoxies to develop their best bonds (my shop does not haveclimate control).> > In the mean time, I am taking the 'read the instruction manual cover to coverapproach' before beginning, as advocated by anyone who ever wrote a constructionmanual. Such reading inspires questions. This forum exists for those questions.Sorry that I ask so many. I will try to meter my questions in such a wayas not to offend any more members, since you have implied that 34 posts in 29days is excessive.> > As for the BRS question: This product was made for experimental aircraft. Thereare $7000 aircraft flying with one installed. Asking such a question does notreflect my building priorities.> > --------> Andy Garrett> 'General Purpose Creative Dude'> Haysville, Kansas> > > > > Read this topic online here:> > http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... 669#439669> > > > > > > > > > ________________________________________________________________________________