Pietenpol-List: A65 Engine Start

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: A65 Engine Start

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Peter Johnson
Subject: Pietenpol-List: A65 Engine Start
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: A65 Engine Start

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
Subject: RE: Pietenpol-List: A65 Engine StartPeter it sounds to me like you have a slight vacuum leak, probably aroundthe rubber fittings that connect the tubes from the intake spider to theindividual cylinders. Running carb heat tends to richen the mixtureslightly so if that makes it run smoother it is probably a bit too lean. Ihad the same problem when I first built my A65.A dangerous but effective way to determine where the leak is located is touse a spray bottle filled with gasoline (petrol?), and as the engine isrunning roughly, spray the gasoline on the outside of the suspected leakarea. If the engine smoothes out, you have found the leak.Good luck with it!Jack PhillipsNX899JPSmith Mountain Lake, Virginia
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: A65 Engine Start

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
Peter it sounds to me like you have a slight vacuum leak, probably aroundthe rubber fittings that connect the tubes from the intake spider to theindividual cylinders. Running carb heat tends to richen the mixtureslightly so if that makes it run smoother it is probably a bit too lean. Ihad the same problem when I first built my A65.A dangerous but effective way to determine where the leak is located is touse a spray bottle filled with gasoline (petrol?), and as the engine isrunning roughly, spray the gasoline on the outside of the suspected leakarea. If the engine smoothes out, you have found the leak.Good luck with it!Jack PhillipsNX899JPSmith Mountain Lake, Virginia
matronics

Pietenpol-List: RE: A65 Engine Start

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Matt Paxton
Subject: Pietenpol-List: RE: A65 Engine Start
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: A65 Engine Start

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-pietenpol-li
Im told WD40 will do the same and allot safer.Jeff Martin> On Mar 22, 2015, at 8:54 AM, Jack Philips wrote:> > Peter it sounds to me like you have a slight vacuum leak, probably around the rubber fittings that connect the tubes from the intake spider to the individual cylinders. Running carb heat tends to richen the mixture slightly so if that makes it run smoother it is probably a bit too lean. I had the same problem when I first built my A65.> > A dangerous but effective way to determine where the leak is located is to use a spray bottle filled with gasoline (petrol?), and as the engine is running roughly, spray the gasoline on the outside of the suspected leak area. If the engine smoothes out, you have found the leak.> > Good luck with it!> > Jack Phillips> NX899JP> Smith Mountain Lake, Virginia>
matronics

> Pietenpol-List: A65 Engine Start

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Bill Budgell
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-pietenpol-li
The previous owner of N8031 had a similar issue - one of the tubes to the cylinders slipped a bit and he was losing vacuum. Peter - have read Harry Fenton's page on small Continentals? Most of us Yanks consider him the authority in such manners (and some Suthinahs like Jack do too). IIRC there's a section in there describing just your situation. Something to do with clogged bleed holes in the carb...http://bowersflybaby.com/tech/fenton.ht ... Best,Dan-- Dan YocumOn Mar 22, 2015, at 7:54 AM, "Jack Philips" wrote:> Peter it sounds to me like you have a slight vacuum leak, probably around the rubber fittings that connect the tubes from the intake spider to the individual cylinders. Running carb heat tends to richen the mixture slightly so if that makes it run smoother it is probably a bit too lean. I had the same problem when I first built my A65.> > A dangerous but effective way to determine where the leak is located is to use a spray bottle filled with gasoline (petrol?), and as the engine is running roughly, spray the gasoline on the outside of the suspected leak area. If the engine smoothes out, you have found the leak.> > Good luck with it!> > Jack Phillips> NX899JP> Smith Mountain Lake, Virginia>
matronics

Post by matronics »

A small propane bottle works well for that too.Greg Bacon> On Mar 22, 2015, at 7:54 AM, Jack Philips wrote:> > Peter it sounds to me like you have a slight vacuum leak, probably around the rubber fittings that connect the tubes from the intake spider to the individual cylinders. Running carb heat tends to richen the mixture slightly so if that makes it run smoother it is probably a bit too lean. I had the same problem when I first built my A65.> > A dangerous but effective way to determine where the leak is located is to use a spray bottle filled with gasoline (petrol?), and as the engine is running roughly, spray the gasoline on the outside of the suspected leak area. If the engine smoothes out, you have found the leak.> > Good luck with it!> > Jack Phillips> NX899JP> Smith Mountain Lake, Virginia>
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Peter Johnson
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: A65 Engine Start
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Metal Fittings

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Jack
17 years ago I first flew my Piet on an A-65 that I overhauled with the oversight of a great A&P/ IA by the name of Don Helmick. Don hadrebuilt lots of these motors and the carbs and mags too so I took Don's advice and followed the Continental overhaul manual.By God's grace and favor and not taking any short cuts on that overhaul I was able to get many years of good flying out of that engine butin the past year or two the oil pressure has slowly started to drop so time for a major overhaul this past winter.I didn't overhaul the engine on the plane but bought a no-logs engine from a guy in Michigan for $500 from Barnstormers. Here's my costsso far. The cost to overhaul a small Continental are pretty affordable, even if you go top notch with having all the inspections, magnafluxing,machining, nitriding, heat treating, resurfacing, and reconditioning done at FAA Certified Repair facilities with all parts coming back yellow tagged.Total came to $4,801 not including carb or mag overhauls because I'll be transferring those directly from the old engine to the new engine.The crankcase halves were in excellent condition so only required a few stud replacements and minor machining so saved a bit there by it nothaving any cracks or re-boring issues.Mike C.No-log A-65 from Michigan: $500Crankcase halves reconditioned,Crankcase Services, Inc. Oklahoma: $375Crank, cam, cam followers, rods, and $1,392rockers reconditioned, Aircraft Engine& Accessory, Dallas, TX4 cylinders, complete overhaul to STD $1,150dimensions, Harrison Engine Service,LaPorte, INAll new hardware, gasket sets rings, $1,384pistons, valve springs, etc, FresnoAir Parts, needed exhaust valves,1 intake....________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Metal Fittings
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
That would be a great service Jerry! I can attest to Jerry's high quality of work.He has been a great help to me welding the critical parts for my Piet! BTW Jerry we are back from Florida and I will come get the mount this week. Thanks!Sent from my iPadJack Textor> On Mar 23, 2015, at 8:28 AM, "JERRY" wrote:> > > We are thinking of manufacturing the metal fittings for the Piet. We do> fittings for the Skybolt, Pitts and the Christian Eagle and the Radial> Rocket. But the Piet parts would not be available till the end of summer and> then we would stock them. I don't have any idea of price yet.> > Jerry Grogan> Sky Classic Aircraft> > -----Original Message-----
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: A-65 overhaul costs, one man's story

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Steven Dortch
Hello good Piet-ple,Hope you all are well..... I consulted with a number of folks regarding my center-section and cabaine strutsand the consensus was that I should modify/angle my cabaine struts outwardto directly tie them to the wing-attach fittings. So after a weekend of work, I am mostly there. I still need my welder "fill" someof the bolt holes in the fuselage fittings (and then re-drill them) but thestructural load path is "more correct" (aka WACO, Stearman, etc....)Never fun to do things over that I thought I had done but it seemed like the rightthing to do and now that it is nearly done I am glad I made the change. Willbe an unusual "look" for a Piet but it's kinda fun that way....Enjoy your day everyone............--------Jake Schultz - curator,Newport Way Air Museum (OK, it's just my home)Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ttachments: http://forums.matronics.com//files/5_ca ... ______Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 12:42:51 -0500Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: A-65 overhaul costs, one man's story
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Revised the cabaine struts for a wider center-section...

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Catdesigns"
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________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Revised the cabaine struts for a wider center-section...