Pietenpol-List: engine failure

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: engine failure

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Gary Boothe
DouweJack's engine-out story reminded me to ask.What turned out to be the issue which forced down the Piet trying to fly outto Brodhead from CA last year? Never heard much about it, but as always,sharing engine-out details is EXTREMELY helpful as is how they dealt withthe landing.If anyone knows details, I'd sure be interested.Douwe________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: engine failure

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "William Wynne"
As I recall, and to be brief, Chinese lifters.GarySent from my iPad> On Mar 19, 2015, at 6:20 AM, Douwe Blumberg wrote:> > Douwe> > Jack=99s engine-out story reminded me to ask> > What turned out to be the issue which forced down the Piet trying to fly out to Brodhead from CA last year? Never heard much about it, but as always, sharing engine-out details is EXTREMELY helpful as is how they dealt with the landing.> > If anyone knows details, I=99d sure be interested.> > Douwe> > 3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D> ________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: engine failure
matronics

Post by matronics »

Dowe,The guys who are partners in the plane drove the rest of the way to Oshkosh, andI spoke with them in person at my booth and looked at all of their photos 3days after the incident.The issue with the plane was the carb, and it was the same kind of carb that ison your Continental. The plane was flown a 150 mile leg with the engine running progressively worse.It flew all the way to the airport, but the partner/pilot made a tense landingat an unfamiliar paved airport, probably landing down wind. Worked ok, rightup to the point the airplane went over on its back.I had seen this plane in person in CA, spoken with the builders, done a W&B onit before it was covered, etc. Two lessons anyone can learn: When I tell someonethat their landing gear is way too far back for a plane with brakes, they shouldlisten. I said that to the owner at Brodhead after I weighed it, and italso has the CG too far aft. It would have been easy to fix then. Second, They had 'get there itus' about continuing the flight with existing evidencethe carb was not correct. A factor was they had told many people they weregoing to be at Brodhead, etc, when your plane is not running correctly, STOPand fix it.Dowe, I like to give people the beinift of the doubt, but I suspect you have someangle here because you started a new topic here called "engine failure" aboutsomething 9 months old. Something that wasn't an engine failure at all. Canyou explain you sudden motivation on this?Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: engine failure
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Jack Philips"
Gary,Those guys also broke a Chinese rocker arm on a separate issue, but it didn't causethe engine to quit.Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Finding your own balance on expense vs investment

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of William Wynne
Andy I agree with William 100% on this. I spared no expense when I built my Pietenpol,using all aircraft grade materials, polyurethane paint (big mistake),a freshly overhauled A65 Continental with brand new Millenium cylinders (thesingle largest purchase on the entire project), etc. The total was $15,000 ofwhich half was the engine (and half of the engine was those new cylinders). It took me 8 years to build it. I like to tell people I spent on this airplanewhat a 2 pack a day smoker would have spent on cigarettes in the same time frame.Don't fret over spending money on high risk areas, like spars and crankshafts.Far better to delay the project a few months while you save the money to buythat 5th bearing or that aircraft-grade spruce spar than to rush through it andthen worry every time you get bounced around in turbulence. Peace of mind ispriceless.Jack PhillipsNX899JPSmith Mountain Lake, Virginia-----Original Message-----
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Frustrating day of study

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Cuy, Michael D. (GRC-LME0)[Vantage Partners, LLC]"
[quote="Andy Garrett"]...Still, 48 years of success on who knows how many Piets...Boy, I love being the farside corner who gets in for the late hit...but if you'restill willing to put up with the nattering nabobs of negativity, here's onemore.You used the phrase "...on who knows how many..."Exactly. The sampling size of ALL airplanes powered by Corvair engines is 1) somewhat unknownand 2) tiny compared to Continental/Lycoming/Rotax (4 cycle). Worse, thenumber of crank failures in Corvair aircraft use is also unknown. And remember,of the ones we do know of, some (maybe several) did not result in accidentsthat required reporting. We only know about what may be the tip of an icebergbecause someone felt the need to share his experience with his colleagues. Thankgoodness. Bottom line: the available data are too meager to find much comfort in anecdotalsuccesses, even if 48 years have gone by. Plus, for what can be confirmed, thepercentage of Corvair crank breaks in aviation applications may be way morethan the percentage for Continental/Lycoming/Rotax. I was very interested in Corvair conversions for a long time. I bought two usedengines. I bought a manual and parts from William. I attended a Corvair College.I began the build, but all the while, I was keeping my eye on reports of crankbreaks. I kept mollifying myself that there weren't that many and they seemedto only occur in relatively higher-performance installations. Then they started breaking in pokie planes like Pietenpols and Cub-a-likes. Thisincluded engines that, to some degree, followed the William Wynne approach.William and others responded SUPERLATIVELY, in my opinion, not hiding from theproblem and vigorously looking for a solution.But for me, all this was prior to the 5th bearing being tested and sold, plus aflying Piet became available, so I gave all my Corvair stuff to a friend who'san A&P and who has lots of experience with experimental aircraft and both certifiedand experimental engines.Somewhat as an aside, I did not, nor do not, think that the effectiveness of nitridingthe crank has been proven. Theoretically it may help, but the samplingsize of WW-inspired engines in flying airplanes with nitrided cranks but without5th bearings is a tiny subset of a subset of a set that itself is small.This long-winded way to say that I agree with the others that the 5th bearing isthe way to go. As does William. I'd probably be flying behind a Corvair witha 5th bearing now if that set-up had been available at the time I was tinkeringwith the build.Regardless of how you proceed, I'm very excited for you. I just spent a half houryesterday practicing circuits in the Piet. What a great way to usher in Spring!doing it behind a smooth-running Corvair would've made it even better!And now the refs are throwing flags for this late hit. Sorry about that!Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: new crank costs

Post by matronics »

[cid:image001.png(at)01D06238.0C4A7040]________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: new crank costs
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ben Charvet
Mike, The crank you have pictured is a Dan Weseman billet crank for a Corvair. He has produced a few dozen of these, and I have built a number of engines with them, including the first one, which went into Dan's Panther prototype. You can see a picture of Dan, the engine and myself here: http://flycorvair.net/2013/06/24/why-no ... er-engine/ We are neighbors at the same small airpark in Florida.The high end price listed includes the CNC billet 5th bearing housing. The Wesemansalso process original 8409 GM forged cranks. The cost for one fully preppedwith a 5th bearing is about $2300, Thus the billet crank is about a $1,100upgrade on a first class engine. BTW, both cranks are done by the same shop,they are both outstanding quality. Although the Wesemans sell the crank by itself,they clearly tell every buyer it is to be used with a 5th bearing.The last certified crank we bought was for our neighbors IO-360 Lycoming last year,it was $3,950. Highest price I paid for an aircraft crank, $8,900 for a TSIO-550BContinental that had the VAR crank AD. The Weseman stuff is cheap bysome comparisons. -ww.Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ______Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2015 12:44:04 -0400
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "AircamperN11MS"
Good morning guys and gals,I was able to add four more horsepower to my Piet a week ago. Attached is a picof how I did it. The bad news about adding horsepower is the added fuel burnand the exhaust emissions that go with it. Oh, and all the extra drag. I couldkeep going but I won't.We actually had an airshow at our airport on 3/21 and 3/22. The Thunderbirds werethere and the horses you see are part of the ten Budweiser Clydesdale's thatwere there. Dang those things are big.Chris Tracy came down for the show and I was finally able to get him up in my planefor a decent ride. We had a blast and got to fly some close formation withhis brother in his Pitts. Chris was grinning ear to ear.Sorry about the size but,,,,,,,,Hopefully this adds a smile to some faces today, Cheers all,--------Scott LiefeldFlying N11MS since March 1972Steel TubeC-85-12Wire WheelsBrodhead in 1996Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ttachments: http://forums.matronics.com//files/2015 ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: engine failure
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Gary Boothe"
Good news,The French Valley Piet that didn't make it to Brodhead last year has flown again.It flew on Sat, 3/28/15 after all the repairs were made. I understand thatthey are planning to attend the West Coast Piet Gathering on June 6th.Cheers,--------Scott LiefeldFlying N11MS since March 1972Steel TubeC-85-12Wire WheelsBrodhead in 1996Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Re: engine failure

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
That is good news!!Gary BootheNX308MB-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: danhelsper(at)aol.com
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "jarheadpilot82"
Scott,Even though they have lined up for rides, I don't think they are going to fit inthe front seat.....!--------Jake Schultz - curator,Newport Way Air Museum (OK, it's just my home)Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: engine failure
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "AircamperN11MS"
Dan,If you will reread William's post, you will see that they didn't have an enginefailure as much as they had a carburetor failure. And a poorly designed geargeometry coupled with a poor decision making to continue a flight with a knownrough running engine. And yes, it was a Corvair.But I sense you already had that figured out, but felt the need to ask.--------Semper Fi,Terry HandAthens, GARead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: engine failure
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: engine failure

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Louie Bakrevski
I must add that the pilot did a wonderful job making it to an airport. He wasover some VERY rough terrain when he experienced the rough engine. Had two peoplebeen in the plane, the outcome could have been much worse. Cheers,--------Scott LiefeldFlying N11MS since March 1972Steel TubeC-85-12Wire WheelsBrodhead in 1996Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: engine failure
matronics

Post by matronics »

Did any body got the NTSB report on why did engine lost power. Did anybody tookCarb apart and have report on why it lost power, so we don't make the same mistake.Or is this just a guess of the cause. Has anybody talk with the builders? Enqweringminds want to know? LouieSent from my iPad> On Mar 30, 2015, at 3:49 PM, jarheadpilot82 wrote:> > > Dan,> > If you will reread William's post, you will see that they didn't have an enginefailure as much as they had a carburetor failure. And a poorly designed geargeometry coupled with a poor decision making to continue a flight with a knownrough running engine. And yes, it was a Corvair.> > But I sense you already had that figured out, but felt the need to ask.> > --------> Semper Fi,> > Terry Hand> Athens, GA> > > > > Read this topic online here:> > http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... 047#440047> > > > > > > > > > ________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: engine failure
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "taildrags"
I am posting this because I would be one of those "boys who prefer a steel-tubefuselage". One that is "stress analyzed" and can easly meet the "requirementsof the deparment of commerce". A flying and glider fuse, no door, no cutout,no widening, bare bones steel tube. [Rolling Eyes] ......yup. Honestly, itwill just be fun to learn a new building process. With that said i would liketo weld the center struts and wing fittings in place for simplicity/strength.This would necessitate some planning and i would like to start marking up theplacement on the bench.I received a few articles from Mr. Doc Mosher. One of the articles was the weightand balance studys. After reading those articles, previously reading ac43.13,and CAM 18, I compared my numbers to a group from those articles. I have anidea as to placement of things, just wondering who else has compared to thesearticles. It took me a while tonight to wrap my head around removing and addingthe weight of the engine, or even more confusing moving the wing around. Ifanyone could help me verify, the help would be greatly appreciated. If this isboring Im sorry.Some numbers/info....Engine-corvairFuse- 161"Engine mount-32" back of prop-firewallLE wing- 10" aft firewallSeatback- 71" aft firewallPilot weight- 135lb (stickman- literally)This would put the CG about 17" back from the LE on moat that i compared. Thanksin advance if anyone can help verify.David McBride Rochester, NYdmcb84(at)hotmail.comRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: engine failure
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Re: engine failure

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
Bobka's Law, from the inimitable Chris Bobka, applies here: "If it doesn'tsound right on the ground, it isn't likely to sound better in the air".Get-there-itis is a deadly disease and it will kill you.Jack PhillipsNX899JPSmith Mountain Lake, Virginia-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "jarheadpilot82"
Stumbled across this video on Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKUwdF17HNQVery Nice.BCRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: engine failure