Pietenpol-List: Wider Fuselage

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Wider Fuselage

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ryan Mueller
I built a mockup long fuselage and while sitting in it, I feel the cockpit is a little tight widthwise. Not wanting to build the fuselage any wider than 24" , I am thinking about holding the 24" width to the back of the pilots seat instead of narrowing it to 22" as the plans call for. I've read in the archives where this was discussed, but I can't find where anyone actually attempted it. Has anyone seen this done? Will the longerons be overstressed? Thanks in advance for any input.Tim White________________________________________________________________________________Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 10:59:13 -0800 (PST)
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: GN1 - Status Plans

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Rick Holland"
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Wider Fuselage

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Rick Holland
Rick,Thanks for the info. I assume you must have added the struts and gussets after soaking and bending the longerons. It will be a warm weather airplane.Tim White ----- Original Message -----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Rick Holland"
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Tire size

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Peter W Johnson"
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Tire sizeDid you have to replace any props after the wheels broke? Ken in cold deep snow Iowa**************Ideas to please picky eaters. Watch video on AOL Living. (http://living.aol.com/video/how-to-plea ... 0000002598)________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Tire size

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
Ken,No, fortunately.CheersPeter. 36 degrees Celsius Wonthaggi. _____
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Re: prop for A75

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Roman Bukolt
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Wider FuselageHi Guys,I did not soak my longerons before bending the fuse sides. I am curious how many did or didn't? Dan HelsperPoplar Grove, IL.**************Ideas to please picky eaters. Watch video on AOL Living. (http://living.aol.com/video/how-to-plea ... 0000002598)________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Wider Fuselage

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Phillips, Jack"
With all the cross members in place, It took me very little effort to pull the lower longerons into place in my jig. No steam, no soaking, and no cracking. No problem.Roman Bukolt NX20795On Feb 19, 2008, at 6:54 AM, HelsperSew(at)aol.com wrote:> Hi Guys,>> I did not soak my longerons before bending the fuse sides. I am > curious how many did or didn't?>> Dan Helsper> Poplar Grove, IL.>>> Delicious ideas to please the pickiest eaters. Watch the video on > AOL Living.>>________________________________________________________________________________Subject: RE: Pietenpol-List: Wider FuselageDate: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 08:53:59 -0500
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: glenschweizer(at)yahoo.com
I need to make my fuselage wider by 2 inches. I need to do this at the pilot shoulderslocation in the seat area. I need to go from the plans dimension of 22inches to a total of 24 inches. Has anyone made their fuselage wider?--------Tony CrawfordRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Wider Fuselage
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Douwe Blumberg"
Hi tony51 I'm building a biplane variant of the pietenpol called an Aerial. My fuseis 30" wide outside to outside. It will be powered by a 120hp WW Corvair conversion. I went with a wider fusebecause my sister really wants to ride. Being a rounder than standard lady,she will fit better in first class,especially considering that my feet wouldbe massaging her ass in a narrower front pit!(gimme a break. She's my sis, ok?) Anyway, the extra elbow room is really nice for the pilot as well. Everythingelse in the fuse(long model) is as per plans. Enjoy. GlenSent from my iPhone> On May 6, 2015, at 6:18 PM, "tonyp51qa" wrote:> > > I need to make my fuselage wider by 2 inches. I need to do this at the pilotshoulders location in the seat area. I need to go from the plans dimension of22 inches to a total of 24 inches. Has anyone made their fuselage wider?> > --------> Tony Crawford> > > > > Read this topic online here:> > http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... 824#441824> > > > > > > > > > ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Gardiner Mason
Here's the poster for a nice fly-in they're trying to get going. Weatherwas crap last year but it was still nice. Had four piets there and reallyfun times. They close the tower and you can land on about ten miles ofgrass.Douwe________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Wider Fuselage
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Douwe Blumberg"
Yes,I did and it worked out great. GardinerSent from my iPad> On May 6, 2015, at 9:18 PM, "tonyp51qa" wrote:> > > I need to make my fuselage wider by 2 inches. I need to do this at the pilotshoulders location in the seat area. I need to go from the plans dimension of22 inches to a total of 24 inches. Has anyone made their fuselage wider?> > --------> Tony Crawford> > > > > Read this topic online here:> > http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... 824#441824> > > > > > > > > > ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Amsafetyc
What Gary Booth said. Ditto--------Scott LiefeldFlying N11MS since March 1972Steel TubeC-85-12Wire WheelsBrodhead in 1996Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Wider Fuselage