Pietenpol-List: Argh! Can't Decide Between a Piet or Tiger Moth Replica

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Argh! Can't Decide Between a Piet or Tiger Moth Replica

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "BritishJim"
Thanks Oscar,One thing on the newsletter. I found out the printer may have marked people withlast issue by mistake. If you got a last issue red stamp and your subscriptiondate on the label is anything after 10/2014 it is not your last issue. I willdo everything in my power to make sure that does not happen again. On targetfor the next issue to be out late this month.Best,-john-John HofmannVice-President, IT and ProductionThe Rees Group, Inc.2424 American LaneMadison, WI 53704Phone: 608.443.2468 ext 150Fax: 608.443.2474Email: jhofmann(at)reesgroupinc.com> On Sep 6, 2015, at 11:46 PM, taildrags wrote:> > > Well, I finally got around to reading my Newsletter. The red letters on theback, by the address label, said it was my last issue and I didn't think I wouldbe renewing but I changed my mind. It was sure worth the $20 subscriptioncost just to read the articles and see the photos. Thanks ever so much for thestory on the J-2 mishap, the aircraft maintenance tips, and everything elsein the current issue. I sure didn't think I would care to read an article abouta single-blade prop on a J-2 taking a dive into some trees, but the story isvery well written and the lessons learned are invaluable. Jack's article onmaintenance is likewise very well written and illustrated and any builder couldlearn from it and apply some great ideas. Frank Pavliga's article on reinforcingwooden landing gear is another piece that made the Newsletter worth subscribingto. It's all good.> > Most of all, I guess, it's just good to see more Piets. the centerfold airplaneis a beauty. If you're not a subscriber, I would encourage you to subscribeif for nothing else but the centerfold. She has long sleek legs, a radiantshine, trim waist, shapely in front, and if you could hear her voice she wouldprobably ask "why don't you come up and see me sometime?" ;o)> > --------> Oscar Zuniga> Medford, OR> Air Camper NX41CC "Scout"> A75 power> > > > > Read this topic online here:> > http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... 859#446859> > > > > > > > > > ________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Argh! Can't Decide Between a Piet or Tiger Moth Replica
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Argh! Can't Decide Between a Piet or Tiger Moth Replica

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Steven Dortch
JimIf you want to build a plane as quick as possible get a kit. The parts are pre-manufacturedand you are an assembler. If you love making things the Pietenpolis simply a very long list of projects. Some of the parts you make - unless youalready have acquired building skills - you will not use and make a secondtime until you or the people you have giving you guidance decide that it is anacceptable part. For some this process brings tremendous satisfaction and fulfillment.For others it is a very frustrating journey. Only you know what typeof person you are. Scott Knowlton Sent from my iPhone> On Sep 7, 2015, at 8:25 PM, "BritishJim" wrote:> > > I'm stuck in a dilemma here, if anyone can sway me.> > Looking at building either a Piet or the Fisher R-80 Tiger Moth. I've never builtbefore...anything...and wonder if the Piet is a bit beyond my abilities.Something attracts me about the formed/molded components in the Fisher kit.> > Saying that, the final cost of a Piet will be 50% less (Fisher kit is 16k). Swingsand roundabouts, right?> > Can anyone push me over either of the lines? I know it's ultimately my decision- but I'm really stuck on this one!> > --------> Your nose is high; you're in the sky. The other way around; you'll hit the ground....> > > > > Read this topic online here:> > http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... 871#446871> > > > > > > > > > ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Jim Boyer
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Argh! Can't Decide Between a Piet or Tiger Moth ReplicaBritish Jim, You described your options. The Piet is plans built andcheaper. The Fisher Tiger Moth is a Kit and more expensive.Fisher says it only takes 600 hours to build a Tiger moth. But beware,Manufacturers often understate the time to build. Or it is for a first timebuilder who happens to be a carpenter with a full woodshop.Many Pietenpols have been completed from plans. I have never seen a FisherTiger Moth. (Of course, even more RVs have been completed from plans.)You makes your decisions, you takes your chances. Six one way, half a dozenthe other.Blue Skies,Steve DOn Mon, Sep 7, 2015 at 7:21 PM, BritishJim wrote:> james(at)pieceofcakepr.com>>> I'm stuck in a dilemma here, if anyone can sway me.>> Looking at building either a Piet or the Fisher R-80 Tiger Moth. I've> never built before...anything...and wonder if the Piet is a bit beyond my> abilities. Something attracts me about the formed/molded components in the> Fisher kit.>> Saying that, the final cost of a Piet will be 50% less (Fisher kit is> 16k). Swings and roundabouts, right?>> Can anyone push me over either of the lines? I know it's ultimately my> decision - but I'm really stuck on this one!>> --------> Your nose is high; you're in the sky. The other way around; you'll hit the> ground....>>> Read this topic online here:>> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... 446871>>-- Blue Skies,Steve D________________________________________________________________________________Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2015 01:50:36 +0000 (UTC)
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Argh! Can't Decide Between a Piet or Tiger Moth Replica

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Douwe Blumberg"
Fisher D82 Moth replica ... but that's just me after building a Piet. Two wingsare always awesome.WF2--------Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Charles N. Campbell"
Hey all,Thought I'd share my biggest "RE-PIET" adventure to date. Flew to the Antique Aircraft Association fly-in at Blakesburg, Iowa over theweekend. 400 miles each way, over 14 hours in the saddle counting a fewdawn patrols and one absolutely crazy evening flight being buzzed byincredibly beautiful antiques with pilots who seem to have forgotten alltraffic pattern rules in their desire to "make a splash".Was really an awesome experience. Very friendly people, great "grass-roots"feeling with flying actually encouraged! The WX was hot but perfect thewhole time. About 350 beautiful antiques with three Piets and a Grega whichhad supposedly been north of the arctic circle.The strip there takes some getting used to. They kind of push you to landright at the beginning, per-normal except that it uphill and slopedsideways. Once I started landing past that part, things were fine.I really love flying over all that farmland with emergency landing sites asfar as the eye can see. I also really like flying behind a solid, provenengine up front as it just chugs along without a hiccup.Keep building!!Douwe________________________________________________________________________________Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2015 11:46:01 -0400Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Argh! Can't Decide Between a Piet or Tiger Moth Replica
matronics

Post by matronics »

Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Argh! Can't Decide Between a Piet or Tiger Moth Replica
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Blakesburg adventure

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Barry Davis"
Thanks, Douwe! Nice report. It's so great to see someone really using their Pietperfect summer enjoyment.Ray KrauseSent from my iPad> On Sep 8, 2015, at 8:23 AM, Douwe Blumberg wrote:> > Hey all,> > Thought I'd share my biggest "RE-PIET" adventure to date. > > Flew to the Antique Aircraft Association fly-in at Blakesburg, Iowa over the> weekend. 400 miles each way, over 14 hours in the saddle counting a few> dawn patrols and one absolutely crazy evening flight being buzzed by> incredibly beautiful antiques with pilots who seem to have forgotten all> traffic pattern rules in their desire to "make a splash".> > Was really an awesome experience. Very friendly people, great "grass-roots"> feeling with flying actually encouraged! The WX was hot but perfect the> whole time. About 350 beautiful antiques with three Piets and a Grega which> had supposedly been north of the arctic circle.> > The strip there takes some getting used to. They kind of push you to land> right at the beginning, per-normal except that it uphill and sloped> sideways. Once I started landing past that part, things were fine.> > I really love flying over all that farmland with emergency landing sites as> far as the eye can see. I also really like flying behind a solid, proven> engine up front as it just chugs along without a hiccup.> > Keep building!!> > Douwe> > > > > > ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Blakesburg adventure

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
KEEP BUILDING - This is what it's all aboutThanks Douwe for the great picsBarry DavisNX973BP-----Original Message-----
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Blakesburg adventure

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
Great to see you Douwe!-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Charles N. Campbell"
Hello good Piet-ple,Had a nice day in the workshop on Saturday - working on the center-section andfitting/positioning the fuel tank. After a long, but really fine day, I put everything away and took in the serenesetting of the workshop. It's about the journey.......!!Jake--------Jake Schultz - curator,Newport Way Air Museum (OK, it's just my home)Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ttachments: http://forums.matronics.com//files/2015 ... ______Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2015 19:13:34 -0400Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Argh! Can't Decide Between a Piet or Tiger Moth Replica
matronics

Post by matronics »

Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Argh! Can't Decide Between a Piet or Tiger Moth Replica
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: The 'Piet Builder's Bible' Project - Want In?

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Lorenzo"
I'm about to embark on the mammoth task of building my Piet and, without any kindof detailed builder's manual to follow, I had an idea.I've been in publishing my entire career, so this could be fun.- Create a book of step-by-step building instructions with photos. Naturally itwould be "this is how I did it and there's a thousand ways to build a Piet, butat least it would provide some guidance to new builders.- Post the current section I'm working on either here or on a dedicated website,and invite other builders to provide contributions/tips that they would wishto share with others working on that particular part/section- Compile these comments into the book (right underneath that section/part beingbuilt), so builders can look at the various opinions/options and get a lookat the broad spectrum of how others are approaching their own projects- Make it available as either a free eBook or paid product with all proceeds goingto a worthy aviation cause. Of course, it's not going to raise much, but givingthe funds to a charity is more ethical than me turning it into a profit-makingexercise.Does this sound like something the Piet community would benefit from and, if so,is anyone interested in contributing their tips/suggestions over the next fewyears?Just want to gauge viability at this stage.Thanks,Jim.--------Your nose is high; you're in the sky. The other way around; you'll hit the ground....Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: The 'Piet Builder's Bible' Project - Want In?
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "tools"
When I started my build I looked for just such a publication, without success.There are many sources of useful building information - Piet specific, and generalin nature. Maybe some think that the search and discovery is part of theadventure.Past issues of the BPA newsletter have a great variety of helpful tips. P.F.Beckhas written extensively on this subject, and is a reliable source. The TonyBingelis series of books contains much useful information. West Coast Piet websitehas many reference photos. William Wynne is a reliable source for Corvairengine conversion, parts, and weight and balance info. These are just a fewof the resources I have found.I think your effort could be very helpful in the long run to consolidate some Pietspecific stuff in one place for the beginning builder. One more resource can'thurt, might help.Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: The 'Piet Builder's Bible' Project - Want In?
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: The 'Piet Builder's Bible' Project - Want In?

Post by matronics »

My two cents would be to keep it entirely yours....The reason is that one person trying to incorporate others ideas while buildingyourself is likely gonna bog the project down. A well written and published diary, builders log, what ever, including dissertationon why you made the choices you did, and the options from which you chose,would be entirely useful just like that. Trying to write an encyclopedia seemsmore likely to not get done. Then, once done, chapters on alternatives, parallel stories, what ever, can beadded fairly easily. Basically a Piet wiki pedia...?Would be an awesome resource!Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ______Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2015 13:19:01 -0500Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: The 'Piet Builder's Bible' Project - Want In?
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: The quiet after a good day in the shop.....

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "aerocarjake"
...that just ain't right. Is that really what your shop looks like, or is thatan artist concept drawing of what a shop should look like?...love the engine hanging in the back!--------Isous Christos, Theou Yios, StrRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: The quiet after a good day in the shop.....
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Blakesburg adventure

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "taildrags"
Ha, thanks....! Figure if I'm going to spend the better part of a decade in thatshop, it should be a pleasant place to spend time.....--------Jake Schultz - curator,Newport Way Air Museum (OK, it's just my home)Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Blakesburg adventure
matronics

Post by matronics »

Douwe: whoa-! I had never seen your airplane from an angle that showed the curvaturein the exhaust pipes. I always assumed that they were straight all theway back to the offset kickers past the rear cockpit. How'd ya do that??!! Pack them full of sand and then gently bend them around a big water tank or something?--------Oscar ZunigaMedford, ORAir Camper NX41CC "Scout"A75 powerRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: The 'Piet Builder's Bible' Project - Want In?
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Clif Dawson"
Many years ago (probably in the early 1970s) some friends and I overhauled theengine in their VW van after it died. We had hand tools and just one book: JohnMuir's "How To Keep Your Volkswagen Alive... A Manual of Step By Step ProceduresFor The Compleat Idiot". It was probably one of the most fun and educationalthings I have ever done in my life, and I found the book to be as delightfulto read as the engine was to work on. A book (or manual) about buildingan Air Camper, written in that style, would be a wonderful read whether one wasbuilding a Piet or not, but it would take a special type of writer to do itright. We're not talking about a book on philosophy like "Zen And The Art ofMotorcycle Maintenance", but rather a detailed hands-on narrative with appropriateillustrations, possibly also sprinkled here and there with bits of lore orbuilding philosophy when appropriate but mostly geared to the builder or wannabewho enjoys an evening in the armchair with a good book that inspires andeducates.Everyone who has commented on this subject has had very useful input, but if you'rea writer, you'll probably go ahead with your idea anyway. I did when I decidedto build my little "Flying Squirrel" (still under construction). Toolsis right though... I've probably spent as much time taking construction photosand writing narratives about the build as I have actually building. Whoeverit was who wrote that "life is a journey, not a destination" nailed my life righton the head.--------Oscar ZunigaMedford, ORAir Camper NX41CC "Scout"A75 powerRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Clif Dawson"
I think a book written in the style of these two would be quite interesting;http://www.amazon.com/The-Craft-Sail-Pr ... ailorWould fit right in with the Pietenpol Ethos. :-)AND carry on with the Flier and Glider style.Poka! poka! Poka!Clif>> Many years ago (probably in the early 1970s) some friends and I overhauled > the engine in their VW van after it died. We had hand tools and just one > book: John Muir's "How To Keep Your Volkswagen Alive... A Manual of Step > By Step Procedures For The Compleat Idiot". It was probably one of the > most fun and educational things I have ever done in my life, and I found > the book to be as delightful to read as the engine was to work on. A book > (or manual) about building an Air Camper, written in that style, would be > a wonderful read > od book that inspires and educates.> Oscar Zuniga> Medford, OR> Air Camper NX41CC "Scout"> A75 power________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Douwe Blumberg"
I think a book written in the style of these two would be quite interesting;http://www.amazon.com/The-Craft-Sail-Pr ... ailorWould fit right in with the Pietenpol Ethos. :-)AND carry on with the Flier and Glider style.Poka! poka! Poka!Clif>> Many years ago (probably in the early 1970s) some friends and I overhauled > the engine in their VW van after it died. We had hand tools and just one > book: John Muir's "How To Keep Your Volkswagen Alive... A Manual of Step > By Step Procedures For The Compleat Idiot". It was probably one of the > most fun and educational things I have ever done in my life, and I found > the book to be as delightful to read as the engine was to work on. A book > (or manual) about building an Air Camper, written in that style, would be > a wonderful read > od book that inspires and educates.> Oscar Zuniga> Medford, OR> Air Camper NX41CC "Scout"> A75 power________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Blakesburg adventure

Post by matronics »

Hey Oscar,Actually, I discovered I could put both ends under the base of my shop hoistand then use the hoist to "raise" sections a little at a time all along thelength of the pipe. Took less than thirty minutes for each! DouweSubject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Blakesburg adventure