Pietenpol-List: Tailwheel Springs

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Tailwheel Springs

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Steven Dortch
Thanks Bill I always appreciate your thoughtful comments. I noticed the 2 holedrawing as well. When fabricating the gear I delayed drilling the bottom holesuntil fitting up now. Glad I did, it's a pretty tight fit. Seems many ofthe "fit-ups" vary with the temp and moisture content of the wood...Sent from my iPadJack Textor> On Oct 29, 2015, at 10:16 PM, "Bill Church" wrote:> > > Jack,> While the detail is not truly clear (seems like almost every other part on thisgear is called a "lug",) my guess is that the special hole for the left frontfitting is there because the 1/4" thick "lug" that is welded to the bracket(and also welded to the 3/4" round "lug") will end up covering one of the 3/16"dia holes. The left and right bracket weldments are not really mirror imagesof each other. On the right gear, the 1/4" thick lug is mounted at the frontend of the 3/4" round lug, whereas, on the left gear it is mounted at the rearof the round lug (a difference of 1".) In the attached photo, I've circledthe left bracket, and it sure looks like the rear 3/16" hole would not be accessible.> As for why the hole is 1/4", and not 3/16", it is probably to allow a "beefed-up"fastener (1/4" dia) to be used, to compensate for the less than ideal, non-symmetricfastener location. This bolt will be subjected to higher loads thanthe locations marked for 3/16" holes.> > Curiously, if you look at the drawing, the rear left bracket is drawn with onlyone bolt shown. Pretty sure that is simply an accidentally omitted detail- there should be two bolts shown.> > Bill C.> > > > > Read this topic online here:> > http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... 371#448371> > > > > Attachments: > > http://forums.matronics.com//files/gear_650.jpg> > > > > > > ________________________________________________________________________________Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 16:49:38 -0500Subject: Pietenpol-List: Tailwheel Springs
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Tailwheel Springs

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
Steve,My current setup is similar (without dampening springs), and I have absolutely no shimmy. Note the eyebolt, an idea I got from Mike Cuy. My main gear is only 52=9D wide, and this tailwheel (my second setup) has saved some pretty sorry-assed landings!Gary BootheNX308MB
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Tailwheel Springs

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "taildrags"
Kind of fun times! Long way to go.Jack TextorWest Des Moines, IA515-490-5177________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Tailwheel Springs
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Finally on the Gear!

Post by matronics »

Steve; my tailwheel setup has the same springs and short lengths of chain as inthe other photos. Never a hint of shimmy. As a result of this, I have nevermade a bad landing in all the time I've been flying the Piet. Well, maybe therewas just the one time...--------Oscar ZunigaMedford, ORAir Camper NX41CC "Scout"A75 powerRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Finally on the Gear!
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ray Krause
Beautiful work, Jack! That must have been a lot of work to make the lighteningholes in the turtledeck formers. However, I would have used a bit of restraintwhen making holes in the formers all the way up close to the top of the rearcockpit. I find myself bracing myself with a hand, or even sometimes sittingon the edge of the rear cockpit, while getting in or out. Probably not an issuethough.--------Oscar ZunigaMedford, ORAir Camper NX41CC "Scout"A75 powerRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Tailwheel Springs

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-pietenpol-li
Gary,Is the eye bolt the attach point for carrier landing hook?RaySent from my iPad> On Oct 30, 2015, at 3:29 PM, Gary Boothe wrote:> > Steve,> > My current setup is similar (without dampening springs), and I have absolutely no shimmy. Note the eyebolt, an idea I got from Mike Cuy. My main gear is only 52=9D wide, and this tailwheel (my second setup) has saved some pretty sorry-assed landings!> > Gary Boothe> NX308MB>
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:>> owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-pietenpol-l
Ha! It sure is handy in our world of pavement and tie-down chains!Sent from my iPhone> On Oct 30, 2015, at 7:41 PM, Ray Krause wrote:> > Gary,> > Is the eye bolt the attach point for carrier landing hook?> > Ray> > Sent from my iPad> >> On Oct 30, 2015, at 3:29 PM, Gary Boothe wrote:>> >> Steve,>> >> My current setup is similar (without dampening springs), and I have absolutely no shimmy. Note the eyebolt, an idea I got from Mike Cuy. My main gear is only 52=9D wide, and this tailwheel (my second setup) has saved some pretty sorry-assed landings!>> >> Gary Boothe>> NX308MB>>
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:>>> owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-pietenpol-
Oh yea! Another thought: if the landing is too hard and you manage to straighten the spring...it becomes a skid!RaySent from my iPad> On Oct 30, 2015, at 7:53 PM, Gary Boothe wrote:> > Ha! It sure is handy in our world of pavement and tie-down chains!> > Sent from my iPhone> >> On Oct 30, 2015, at 7:41 PM, Ray Krause wrote:>> >> Gary,>> >> Is the eye bolt the attach point for carrier landing hook?>> >> Ray>> >> Sent from my iPad>> >>> On Oct 30, 2015, at 3:29 PM, Gary Boothe wrote:>>> >>> Steve,>>> >>> My current setup is similar (without dampening springs), and I have absolutely no shimmy. Note the eyebolt, an idea I got from Mike Cuy. My main gear is only 52=9D wide, and this tailwheel (my second setup) has saved some pretty sorry-assed landings!>>> >>> Gary Boothe>>> NX308MB>>>
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> ** owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com [
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Tailwheel SpringsMy springs and cables are not attached to the rudder, they run up throughthe belly to the rudder pedals. They hang loose until I get in and put myfeet on the pedals. If I just put my feet flat of the floor I might have ashimmy but I would probably be too engrossed in the ground loop to notice.I will get in and have a buddy check to see what the tension is.I Have been flying an Aeronca Champ and if your springs are loose you arein trouble.Blue Skies,Steve DOn Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 10:14 PM, Ray Krause wrote:> Oh yea! Another thought: if the landing is too hard and you manage to> straighten the spring...it becomes a skid!>> Ray>> Sent from my iPad>> On Oct 30, 2015, at 7:53 PM, Gary Boothe wrote:>> Ha! It sure is handy in our world of pavement and tie-down chains!>> Sent from my iPhone>> On Oct 30, 2015, at 7:41 PM, Ray Krause wrote:>> Gary,>> Is the eye bolt the attach point for carrier landing hook?>> Ray>> Sent from my iPad>> On Oct 30, 2015, at 3:29 PM, Gary Boothe wrote:>> Steve,>>> My current setup is similar (without dampening springs), and I have> absolutely no shimmy. Note the eyebolt, an idea I got from Mike Cuy. My> main gear is only 52=9D wide, and this tailwheel (my second setup) has saved> some pretty sorry-assed landings!>>> Gary Boothe>> NX308MB>>
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: TC Piet progress

Post by matronics »

Finally, I epoxied the firewall in place. If all goes well, I am planning to epoxythe 6mm (1/4") bottom ply tomorrow. In the factory where I work, I am makingthe landing gear. More about that later.Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ttachments: http://forums.matronics.com//files/img_ ... __________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Old bird,I hope you don't regret having epoxied it on. I bolted mine on so I can remove it. Also have a 10" X 10" hatch in it so I can access the stuff down there. I'm too old to crawl down through the cockpit. I figure I can pull the engine and mount off in just a few minutes. I got stuck in my Waiex one time when no one was there to help! Sure made me feel stupid...and old!PSent from my iPad> On Oct 31, 2015, at 9:00 AM, oldbird wrote:> > > Finally, I epoxied the firewall in place. If all goes well, I am planning to epoxy the 6mm (1/4") bottom ply tomorrow. In the factory where I work, I am making the landing gear. More about that later.> > > > > Read this topic online here:> > http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... 421#448421> > > > > Attachments: > > http://forums.matronics.com//files/img_ ... um_149.jpg> > > > ============================================================================================================================================> > > ________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: TC Piet progress
matronics

Post by matronics »

Ray: interesting to see the barrier strip for wiring on your firewall. I havea similar setup, but fewer wires. Picture here:http://www.flysquirrel.net/piets/engine ... al002.jpgI have a grounding stud on the metal firewall, lock-nutted both sides of the metal,and I landed the braided shields of the ignition switch wires on the barrierstrip and then a common ground to the stud. I ran a flexible braided groundingstrap from the engine block to the same stud so everything should be atthe same ground potential. I don't have ignition noise on the radio, so it mustbe doing some good. In the picture there is a piece of blue tape (temporary)on the firewall just below the terminal strip where I marked all the wireswhen I was doing the hookup.Also in that photo on my webpage, note that I attempted to fabricate the metalfirewall in two sections joined by a conventional standing seam. The intent wasto make the lower section removable to give me easier access to the area underthe fuel tank and up by the passenger's rudder pedals, but I didn't thinkfar enough ahead and when everything was mounted, it became evident that I neededto trim the firewall around the lower engine mounts and cowling mount 'horns',but by then it was too late and the lower section of the firewall was aslocked in as the rest of it is. I guess I could go back and trim around the enginemounts and anything else that captures that section of the firewall, buta certain amount of laziness has set in. I still have it in me to crawl downinto the front cockpit when I have to, although it's no fun and I too have almostgotten myself stuck down in there. Then I remembered the movie "127 Hours"and made a tremendous effort to get myself out of there quickly before I hadto cut something off to get back out ;o)--------Oscar ZunigaMedford, ORAir Camper NX41CC "Scout"A75 powerRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: TC Piet progress

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Matt Dralle
Oscar,Although I have a 12V battery, I have no starter, generator or "electrical system";so no ELT needed (?). The strip looks more complicated than it is becauseI have and old style mag switch that I use as a "master switch" to power thestrip. All the battery does is power the oil pressure and temp gauges and acigarette lighter outlet on the panel. The gauges were sent to me by mistakewhen I ordered mechanical gauges, so I just used them. So the mag switches andthe OT and OP gauges are all that are connected from the bar strip to the engine.Of course, there is the ground lug. I think the ground for the Eisemannmags is separate from the ground for the OT, OP and cig lighter which will beused for the radio....I hope. To pull the engine I just have to disconnect fourwires from the bar strip, the throttle and carb heat cable and the fuel line.Then remove the four motor mount bolts from the fuselage and hoist the engineoff. This will only be necessary if I can't fix the problem through the holein the firewall (which is covered by the battery box).The "best laid plans of men....." It might all work about as well as your firewallplan!Thanks for the comments. That's what makes this forum so much fun!Ray KrauseAlmost finished taping the last wing half on the SkyScout.Sent from my iPad> On Oct 31, 2015, at 8:09 PM, taildrags wrote:> > > Ray: interesting to see the barrier strip for wiring on your firewall. I havea similar setup, but fewer wires. Picture here:> > http://www.flysquirrel.net/piets/engine/A75final002.jpg> > I have a grounding stud on the metal firewall, lock-nutted both sides of themetal, and I landed the braided shields of the ignition switch wires on the barrierstrip and then a common ground to the stud. I ran a flexible braided groundingstrap from the engine block to the same stud so everything should be atthe same ground potential. I don't have ignition noise on the radio, so itmust be doing some good. In the picture there is a piece of blue tape (temporary)on the firewall just below the terminal strip where I marked all the wireswhen I was doing the hookup.> > Also in that photo on my webpage, note that I attempted to fabricate the metalfirewall in two sections joined by a conventional standing seam. The intentwas to make the lower section removable to give me easier access to the areaunder the fuel tank and up by the passenger's rudder pedals, but I didn't thinkfar enough ahead and when everything was mounted, it became evident that I neededto trim the firewall around the lower engine mounts and cowling mount 'horns',but by then it was too late and the lower section of the firewall was aslocked in as the rest of it is. I guess I could go back and trim around theengine mounts and anything else that captures that section of the firewall, buta certain amount of laziness has set in. I still have it in me to crawl downinto the front cockpit when I have to, although it's no fun and I too havealmost gotten myself stuck down in there. Then I remembered the movie "127 Hours"and made a tremendous effort to get myself out of!> there quickly before I had to cut something off to get back out ;o)> > --------> Oscar Zuniga> Medford, OR> Air Camper NX41CC "Scout"> A75 power> > > > > Read this topic online here:> > http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... 431#448431> > > > > > > > > > ________________________________________________________________________________Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2015 00:50:02 -0700
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Re: TC Piet progress

Post by matronics »

Ray, An ELT is required whether or not you have an electrical system.Check out FAR 91.207. I don't agree with it (I think the sum total ofpilots and passengers that have been saved by their ELT is zero), but that'sthe law. I have one in my Pietenpol, even though like you I have a 12 vbattery but no way to charge it in flight.Jack PhillipsNX899JPSmith Mountain Lake, Virginia-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Steven Dortch
Ah, but Jack- you forget that Ray is building a Sky Scout. FAR 91.207 specificallyexcludes single-place aircraft from the ELT requirement ;o)--------Oscar ZunigaMedford, ORAir Camper NX41CC "Scout"A75 powerRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ______Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2015 13:48:22 -0600Subject: RE: Pietenpol-List: Re: TC Piet progress
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: TC Piet progress

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
Jack,Thanks, I was wrong (my wife thinks I never have said that!). I had not referencedthe actual FAR, I was just going on faulty memory or hearsay.And thanks to Oscar for pointing out the exception that applies to my SkyScout.I do carry a "personal locator beacon" with me when flying, especially in theWaiex. Can't seem to remember it when in the Aeronca. I plan to use it in theSkyScout, but I may never get more than 20 miles from home base. But then, aroundhere, that's far enough away to be lost!Thanks to all, I really appreciate all the help,Ray KrauseSent from my iPad> On Nov 1, 2015, at 11:01 AM, Jack Philips wrote:> > > Ray, An ELT is required whether or not you have an electrical system.> Check out FAR 91.207. I don't agree with it (I think the sum total of> pilots and passengers that have been saved by their ELT is zero), but that's> the law. I have one in my Pietenpol, even though like you I have a 12 v> battery but no way to charge it in flight.> > Jack Phillips> NX899JP> Smith Mountain Lake, Virginia> > -----Original Message-----
matronics

> Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: TC Piet progress

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: macz(at)peak.org
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Jack Textor"
Getting stuck in a Piet,Too funny, I happen to have got stuck in mine just last week. I went into thefront cockpit headfirst and on my back trying to reach the firewall. My brother-in-lawgrabbed me by my ankles an pulled me out. I went to plan "B" to installthat bolt "a long stick with the bolt taped to it". I am still bruised, but laughing about now. Cheers all,--------Scott LiefeldFlying N11MS since March 1972Steel TubeC-85-12Wire WheelsBrodhead in 1996Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Pictures please!-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "AircamperN11MS"
Funny Jack,My wife wanted Pics too. Sorry, none were taken. And I don't plan on a re-enactmentanytime soon, so put your camera's down please.--------Scott LiefeldFlying N11MS since March 1972Steel TubeC-85-12Wire WheelsBrodhead in 1996Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Finally on the Gear!
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Jack Textor"
Jack, Your plane looks perfect. Keep plugging away at it. Are the yellow landing gearsprings an indication of the paint colors to follow????????--------Scott LiefeldFlying N11MS since March 1972Steel TubeC-85-12Wire WheelsBrodhead in 1996Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Re: Finally on the Gear!

Post by matronics »

Thanks Scott actually no, planning on boots to cover. BTW yours looksgreat!-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Dave,I finished adding the fingerstraps although they were not absolutely mandatory.Peace of mind. On the photo you sent the link of, the bottom tubes transfer torque.They apparently belong to a side-by-side two (or more) seater where theleft pilot's left pedals motion is transferred to the rudder by twisting thebottom tube (torque). Where on a Piet you just push the wire itself. See the photoand please tell if you are satisfied.Regards and happy landings,SemihRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ttachments: http://forums.matronics.com//files/img_ ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Finally on the Gear!
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Semih Oksay
If I'm not mistaken, there is some sort of color code for die springs to indicatethe spring compliance. I don't know what it is, but I do know that the springson my little Flying Squirrel are white.--------Oscar ZunigaMedford, ORAir Camper NX41CC "Scout"A75 powerRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Finally on the Gear!

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Charles Burkholder
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Finally on the Gear!Here in Turkey, they go like this (This is an ISO norm):Yellow: StrongestRed: WeakerBlue: WeakerGreen: WeakestLight green (rarely used): Weaker than greenThey have standard sizes. This means, for instance, if yellow turns out tobe too strong, you can replace them with weaker reds. They fit in exactlythe same place=8B. We use them for machine tools.Semih2015-11-03 0:12 GMT+02:00 taildrags :>> If I'm not mistaken, there is some sort of color code for die springs to> indicate the spring compliance. I don't know what it is, but I do know> that the springs on my little Flying Squirrel are white.>> --------> Oscar Zuniga> Medford, OR> Air Camper NX41CC "Scout"> A75 power>>> Read this topic online here:>> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ======>>-- Semih Oksay________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Finally on the Gear!
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Finally on the Gear!

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Jack
Looks great Jack. I am almost off the saw horses and on the landing gear too but discovered a bit of toe-in that I need to fix. After having a jig that had everything perfectly straight and square for welding it still managed to toe when I put it on the fuselage.CharlesOn 10/30/2015 7:23 PM, Jack Textor wrote:>> Kind of fun times! Long way to go>> Jack Textor>> West Des Moines, IA>> 515-490-5177>>> No virus found in this message.> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com >________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Finally on the Gear!
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Tim White
Have seen articles re toe in that a little is good. Mine is a fraction out.Sent from my iPadJack Textor> On Nov 3, 2015, at 3:11 PM, Charles Burkholder wrote:> > Looks great Jack. I am almost off the saw horses and on the landing gear too but discovered a bit of toe-in that I need to fix. After having a jig that had everything perfectly straight and square for welding it still managed to toe when I put it on the fuselage. > Charles> >> On 10/30/2015 7:23 PM, Jack Textor wrote:>> Kind of fun times! Long way to go>> >> Jack Textor>> West Des Moines, IA>> 515-490-5177>> >> >> >> No virus found in this message.>> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com>> Date: 07/10/15> ________________________________________________________________________________