Pietenpol-List: brakes

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: brakes

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: mboynton(at)excite.com
Unless you have a parking brake, brakes do you no good when propng a plane.NEVER, NEVER, hand prop an airplane unless you either have the tail tieddown, or someone holding the tail. I carry a 25' length of sash cord in mycub to use when no one is around.Phil Phillips________________________________________________________________________________Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 15:47:01 -0800 (PST)
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Merrill
What about brakes? I'm thinking about starting a Piet project. Have been since I saw one at a fly in at New Ulm, Mn a couple years ago. I observed a tall skinny guy taxi up to the fuel station, refuel, prop the engine and the airplane started to slowly move as he was walking around to mount up. I held on to the horiz. fin until he got aboard.I don't understand all I know about a airplane without brakes. Will some one please give me some idea of the technique required for operating w/o brakes. Beautiful airplane and I like the idea of flying/building something of a throwback in time. Great web site this. Ellery Voge________________________________________________________________________________Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 12:09:15 -0500 (EST)
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Michael Conkling"
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: brakesIn a message dated 2/8/01 8:28:44 AM Pacific Standard Time, elleryvoge(at)hotmail.com writes:> What about brakes? I'm thinking about starting a Piet project. Have been > since I saw one at a fly in at New Ulm, Mn a couple years ago. I observed > a > tall skinny guy taxi up to the fuel station, refuel, prop the engine and > the > airplane started to slowly move as he was walking around to mount up. I > held > on to the horiz. fin until he got aboard.> I don't understand all I know about a airplane without brakes. Will some > one > please give me some idea of the technique required for operating w/o > brakes. > Beautiful airplane and I like the idea of flying/building something of a > throwback in time. Great web site this. Ellery Voge> > > Ellery,My 'A' powered Piet does not have brakes or tail wheel. It is a thrill to operate in this configuration and is very very easy to handle. It simply requires different ground handling techniques than most modern aircraft. Even a Cub is modern by comparison. If you are interested in more detail, I would be happy to further describe the handling techniques I use, or you could call me at (316) 733-2324. Doug Bryant Wichita, Ks________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Greg Cardinal"
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: del magsam
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: brakesIf you could post a description of how your ground handling is different on the Piet List I would be interested thanks Henry Williams -- working on ribs________________________________________________________________________________Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 08:05:34 -0800 (PST)
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: phil phillips
I bought a Ultralight project several years ago that taught that lesson to apilot.He hand propped the engine like he had hundreds of times with no tie down orbrakes. Only this time there was a slight kink in the throttle cable andthe engine was at about half throttle when he thought it was a idle. Luckyfor him the plane only knocked him to the ground before it rolled a hundredyards and leaped into the air with no pilot to spare...The plane took off and spiraled to the left clipped some trees and broke theprop. It then glided to a rough landing(took out the gear) on a pond damn.Luckily this all happened without injury to anyone. It could have happenedat a busy airport with lots of people and airplanes.Talking to him afterwards he said he knew to have brakes or tie down buteverything had worked so well for so long he didn't think it was important.I can't imagine the felling in the pit of my stomach as my creation took offwithout me on a unmanned flight.GregGridley, KSAll most ready to cover.----- Original Message -----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ken Beanlands
Not to be a scold, but propping an aircraft with no brakes, no tie down& nobody in the cockpit, ain't the best idea in the world.Oh yeah, the FAA says you can't do that.MIke B Piet N687MB ( Mr Sam )________________________________________________________________________________Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 11:08:37 -0700 (MST)
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Michael Conkling"
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: brakesIn a message dated 2/9/01 4:56:30 AM Pacific Standard Time, gcardinal(at)startribune.com writes:> Doug,> Please post your brakeless, skid-equipped techniques. Some of us are > building with niether brakes nor tailwheels.> > Greg,OK, here is the general idea. I had to develop a method of launching the aircraft by myself, but if there is someone around who wants to help, I let them. 1) Move the aircraft as needed by lifting the aft fuselage just ahead of the tail to a comfortable height and pushing to the desired location. That is somewhat different than a tail wheel aircraft which can be rolled with the tail on the ground. 2) Chocks are designed tall enough so the aircraft will not jump them at full throttle/empty/stick back with the seat belt. 3) Engine starting goes something like this: preflight complete, fuel off, aircraft in the chocks, throttle at idle position (this is verified at the carb also on an 'A' powered ship such as mine), stick back with the seat belt (a must), switch off. Prime as required, pull four blades thru (don't trust a cold mag), make it 'hot', double check all the above, start. 4) Move to cockpit via left wing tip (stay away from the prop), turn on fuel, set idle, do engine instrument checks, check idle, move around behind aircraft and pull right chock from behind the strut (put it back if a problem arises), check idle, move to leftside (reverse course), check idle, hold rear strut and remove left chock, (If the aircraft wants to creep), (mine does not) (put it back in the chock) keep a hold on the strut while moving to cockpit (if something goes wrong, turn off the switch and the fuel), board. I climb right in on top of the seat belt and then unbuckle it from the stick (the tail will come up). 5) After pre-takeoff checklist is complete, taxi with power and rudder (excitment is building). When ready to turn onto runway heading, use power and rudder and while making the turn, do a visual sweep of the pattern downwind/ base/ final/ clear/ runway clear/ all clear. 6) Apply full power for takeoff run. If engine does not make power, abort the takeoff because this is your run-up opportunity.Next, is the flight, and trust me, it simply cannot be described. 7) After landing (which is very easy), taxi back with power and rudder, saying; there is an aircraft heaven! Perhaps this method sounds messy or hard, but it is really very easy. I'll read this in a couple of days to determine if something big was missed. Also, I don't know what to do about the reg that states there must be a rated pilot in the cockpit for hand proping. Doug Bryant________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: nle97(at)juno.com
Subject: Pietenpol-List: WeightAm to the point of getting serious about this weight business. I hope some ole' timer reads this and will go back to those old logs or papers and compare as I have no clue as to where I am. I've always been accused of being a ship at sea in a gale without a rudder. If any of you might have some comparable figures I'd sure appreciate hearing from you. Weights 2-10-01R Wing 43L Wing 42.5Center Section 12 Wing 97.5Empenage 13.5Fuselage 148.5 Fuselage 160.0Eng mt 5Prop 23.5Engine 122Mags 13.5Carb 3.5Fuel tank 11.5Stacks 5.0Wing struts 20.0 Eng and struts 204 ----------- 461 lbsOnly items remaining are: Controls, cowlings and cover. Please adviseCorky________________________________________________________________________________Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 22:58:45 -0600Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: brakes
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:
You could never gracefully get to heel brakes if you had to anyway!However, they did help on a LONG downwind taxi on pavement --I was providingthe "airport entertainment" by turnig R.H. &L.H. 360's on the taxi way !;-) (Mike Cuy knows whose Cub it was!!)MikePretty Prairie, KS----- Original Message -----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Gene Rambo"
Sounds like a good check list and starting procedure Doug.Greg________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Hank & Mary Ellen"
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: brakesAwesome check list if you fly where you can do that. I would love to beable to go sans brakes, that would really simplify things. But where Ifly out of it could be VERY expensive. Just a reality check!!!!No brake airplanes are not for everyoneeverywhere. " It could ruin your whole day to roll helplessly into aparked Cessna310 with your brakeless Sprinter Sport Special ( even leaning back hardwont stop you ) " Tony Bingelis. Ed G. Palm Harbor, Fl.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Vi Kapler

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Mike Bell
can someone tell me what has happened, I seem to be off of the Pietenpollist for some reason, but I have never un-subscribed.----- Original Message -----
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Poem

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Mike Bell"
Hi, If you get this e-mail me my husband is building a Pietenpol, I would liketo get this for him.Subject: Pietenpol-List: Poem>> Group,>> A while back someone posted this verse:>> And of the living...none, not one> Who truly loves the sky> Would trade a hundred earth bound hours> For one that he could fly>> I'd like to get a little information about it. Can anyone help me?>> Thanks,>> Mark Boynton>>________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Poem
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Poem

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Christian Bobka
02/15/2001 12:34:05 PMAnother really nice present would be a copy of "Stick and Rudder", byLangewiesche. If he's not a pilot already, or if he is and doesn'thave a copy, he can read and reread all the way through constructionand be better prepared to fly when he's finished. It lists for $23,hardback.Mike "Hank & Mary Ellen" To: Sent by: cc: owner-pietenpol-list-server@mat Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List:Poem ronics.com 02/14/2001 01:21 AM Please respond to pietenpol-list Hi, If you get this e-mail me my husband is building a Pietenpol, I wouldliketo get this for him.Subject: Pietenpol-List: Poem>> Group,>> A while back someone posted this verse:>> And of the living...none, not one> Who truly loves the sky> Would trade a hundred earth bound hours> For one that he could fly>> I'd like to get a little information about it. Can anyone help me?>> Thanks,>> Mark Boynton>>________________________________________________________________________________Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 14:19:58 -0500
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Poem

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Wayne M
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael D Cuy
Mike Cuy, here's a question for you. In your video, you mention that your mechanical disk brakes came from the go-kart parts place. Are they anything like the ones shown at:http://www.gokartsupply.com/discbr.htm ?Thanks!Oscar ZunigaMedford, Oregonmailto: taildrags(at)hotmail.comwebsite at http://www.flysquirrel.netSend and receive Hotmail on your mobile device: http://mobile.msn.com________________________________________________________________________________Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 10:01:42 -0500
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Gary Gower
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Carl Vought"
Anybody out there using heel brakes with a rudder bar? If so, are they standard "Cub style" Scott heel brakes/masters?Oscar ZunigaSan Antonio, TXmailto: taildrags(at)hotmail.comwebsite at http://www.flysquirrel.net________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: brakes

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Phillips, Jack"
Hi Piet Builders,Seems " YaHoo " does not like the link posted here when you click on it, somethingabout linking from this server. It works for me if I " Copy and Paste " thelink into my browsers menu, then click go.Sorry again for all this trouble ..... will be updating the site to a new web pagelate this 2005 with 3D models of the Pietenpol. Will keep you posted.Blue skies and sunshine,Keri-Ann ________________________________________________________________________________Subject: RE: Pietenpol-List: brakesDate: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 10:24:07 -0400
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "walt evans"
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "walt evans"
Has anyone out there ever tried the disc type brake setups from the frontaxles of 2 wheel drive ATV's? Old timers disease, can't remember if I askedthis question before.Gordon BowenN-1033B----- Original Message -----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Stephen!"
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Rcaprd(at)AOL.COM
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: brakesIn a message dated 7/1/2005 8:19:25 AM Central Standard Time, taildrags(at)hotmail.com writes:Anybody out there using heel brakes with a rudder bar? If so, are they standard "Cub style" Scott heel brakes/masters?Oscar,I built my heel brakes that actuate Mooney master cylinders, and a remote master cylinder. They are compact, work very well, and are easy to get used to.I have some good detail photo's of my set up, if you would like me to e-mail them directly to you. There is a lot of 'Stuff' going on under my front cockpit seat, and these pictures really explain a lot !!Chuck G.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Tim Willis
Thanks everyone for the brakes input.I figured brakes were necessary. Mike, how do you get the helium into the ping pong balls?Douwe________________________________________________________________________________Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 06:36:26 -0700 (PDT)
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Steve Eldredge"
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: TBYH(at)aol.com
Subject: Pietenpol-List: brakesBrakes anyone? Just tip it with a disk brake pad! :-)________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael Perez
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: brakes

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "TOPGUN"
R3JvdXAsDQoNCiANCg0KQnJha2UgcXVlc3Rpb27igKYuaGFzIGFueW9uZSB1c2VkIGRpc2MgYnJha2VzIG9mZiBhIDQtd2hlZWxlciAvQVRWIGZvciB0aGVpciBQaWV0PyAgVGhlIGNhbGlwZXJzIGFyZSBhIGxpdHRsZSBsYXJnZXIgYW5kIEnigJltIHdvbmRlcmluZyBhYm91dCB0aGUgZXh0cmEgd2VpZ2h0LiAgIFRoYW5rcy4NCg0KIA0KDQpCcmlhbg0KDQpTTEMtVVQNCg0K________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: brakes
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: TOM MICHELLE BRANT
Pilot78 wrote:> Group, > > Brake question.has anyone used disc brakes off a 4-wheeler /ATV for their Piet?The calipers are a little larger and Im wondering about the extra weight. Thanks.> > Brian > SLC-UTThats what i am using, the calipers are off of a yamaha banshee. I am going tomake my own disc to fit my wheel hubs. the calipers with pads are less than apound ea, comparable to any braking system use on a piet.Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Jack Phillips"
Subject: Pietenpol-List: brakesChris--I rarely use my brakes for anything other than run up or for slowing downwhen I'm taxiing aroundother aircraft or near fuel pumps. I don't use my brakes when landing or takingoff as tailwheel steeringis sufficient for directional control in those operations. If you do need yourbrakes on takeoff or landingthen things have gone awry. To answer your question: I never use my brakes tosteer. Mike C.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Chris Rusch"
Trying to take care of my instrument overhauls early and do not have my fuselagebut yet, or know the location of connection on the Model A engine, but can anyonetell me how long the leads need to be to reach for the oil temp and a watertemp gauge? I have a oil temp gauge with a 56" lead. Will that be long enoughfor a Model A engine? From the rear cockpit . Seems like the longest I canfind is 60" if I was to buy another one. ThanksRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: brakes
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "skipgadd(at)earthlink.net"
Hi Douwe,Brodhead is in my sights!! just not sure if i can get the 40 hrs off before then.I am optimistically shooting for May to be test flying. I am finishing up thefusalage stuff before i cover it, everything else is done and painted. Itsexciting putting stuff together for the FINAL time, using the right hardware andputting in the cotter keys...Can you take some pictures of your brake set up?Chris--------NX321LRFully AssembledTail assembly and ailerons covered and painted.Wings covered and primed, one paintedMitsubishi PoweredRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "AircamperN11MS"
Hey all,I have a pair of 5X500 wheels and need some Cleveland brakes for them. Iactually have one of the brakes which I can rebuild so technically I onlyneed one, but two would work great. I just need the brakes, not thewheels/disk part. Can rebuildDouwe________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: brakes
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Steven Dortch
Hi Douwe,Are you looking for the Caliper or Brake pads? Maybe if you you had a part numberor some pics of you are trying to match. Do you know what kind of plane yourpart came from? I will ask around for you. I gave my last one away a coupleof years ago. It was from a Cessna 150.Is there by chance an airplane salvage yard near you? They will probably havewhat you are looking for.Cheers,--------Scott LiefeldFlying N11MS since March 1972Steel TubeC-85-12Wire WheelsBrodhead in 1996Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: John Hofmann
I think we all tend to over emphasise the amount of breaking we think we need in a small aircraft. The only time you would miss having brakes would be when you are trying to manoeuvre in a small area or holding the aircraft from creeping during a run-up. A firm application of one wheel brake on a slow taxi along with rudder in the same direction will "unlock" a steerable tailwheel into the castoring mode and allow the aircraft to be turned on a very small radius (looks cool when you arrive at a fly-in breakfast). A small tap of a break hear and there on a strong crosswind take-off and landing for directional control is the other time that differential brakes come in handy but that is a function that comes with skill and experience and is more often the cause of a runway excursion if not properly executed. I doubt most of us will be flying our Pietenpols on a day where tapping of brakes on take off or landing is needed so the requirement probably doesn't exist. Incidentally=2C the elevator is held in the aft position to keep a positive force between the tailwheel and the ground or tarmack enabling steering to be the most effective. OK no more two cents from me...Scott Knowlton t: Re: Pietenpol-List: brakesTo: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.comThat is what I was referring to but not made clear in my post. I was not planning on the brakes other then for holding the plane once stopped or to aid in maneuvering on the ground. But as Bill pointed out some back pressure is required...if nothing else to keep the elevator from smacking around. I would prefer heel/toe brakes=2C but was intrigued with the hand brake idea. Not quite there yet=2C still need to build left wing=2C fuse.=2C landing gear=2C tail=2C engine mount....3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D_________________________________________________________________The new Windows Live Messenger. You don=92t want to miss this.http://www.microsoft.com/windows/window ... __________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "skellytown flyer"
> To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com> > > I took ownership of an engine (RH code) the other day from another builder. Ihave not yet done anything with it (see photo, more available if you'd like).I just received a call from a gentleman responding to an ad I placed in the localCorvair groups newsletter looking for an engine. He has some (most notable:110HP '65 and '66, one a shift and one an automatic...does not know enginecode), $100 each. He's within easy driving distance. I'm tempted to grab one ortwo and if I don't need them, I'd have them if another builder could use them.> > Where you able to use one engine, or did you need other engines to rob for parts?Do you think I should pass on this or go check it out?> > Thank you!> > > > > Read this topic online here:> > http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... 982#355982> > > > > Attachments: > > http://forums.matronics.com//files/corv ... ll_133.jpg> > >=================> > > ________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: brakes