Pietenpol-List: Brodhead 2016

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Brodhead 2016

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Glen Schweizer
HOT,HOT,HOT!! Then HOTTER!!!Oh yea, and WET!!And FUN!!Not sure of the final count, plus there's always piets hangared at Brodheadthat refuse to come out of their lairs and play, but I think we had about 16or so including a few I had never seen before.I think a record was set Friday Evening when SIX Ford Pietenpols flew information together, absolutely AWESOME!Had a few turn-backs due to tech issues and I taxied into a runway markerand busted my prop which led to that awesome Pietenpol community pullingtogether so I had the damaged repaired and a borrowed prop within a day andwas flying on Saturday and got home yesterday after 5:45 hrs in the air.Thank you all who helped! RE-PIET is fine.I think the big news was Gene Rambo's "Dillhoffer flying circus"Ford-powered Piet made her official debut and is a stunning example ofworkmanship and purity, flies great too.The weather was extremely hot and we had two BIG thunderstorms come through.For some reason, flying was down and the crowd seemed smaller, maybe it wasthe weather. I tried to fly a lot, but missed 1.5 days due to my stupidity.Anyways, another one under the belt and everyone's safe.Douwe________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Brodhead 2016

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Douwe Blumberg"
Any video? Kept checking YouTube over the weekend but nuttin yet=F0=9F=98=83> On Jul 25, 2016, at 8:11 AM, Douwe Blumberg wrote:> > HOT,HOT,HOT!! Then HOTTER!!!> > Oh yea, and WET!!> > And FUN!!> > Not sure of the final count, plus there=99s always piets hangared at Brodhead that refuse to come out of their lairs and play, but I think we had about 16 or so including a few I had never seen before.> > I think a record was set Friday Evening when SIX Ford Pietenpols flew in formation together, absolutely AWESOME!> > Had a few turn-backs due to tech issues and I taxied into a runway marker and busted my prop which led to that awesome Pietenpol community pulling together so I had the damaged repaired and a borrowed prop within a day and was flying on Saturday and got home yesterday after 5:45 hrs in the air. Thank you all who helped! RE-PIET is fine.> > I think the big news was Gene Rambo=99s =9CDillhoffer flying circus=9D Ford-powered Piet made her official debut and is a stunning example of workmanship and purity, flies great too.> > The weather was extremely hot and we had two BIG thunderstorms come through. For some reason, flying was down and the crowd seemed smaller, maybe it was the weather. I tried to fly a lot, but missed 1.5 days due to my stupidity.> > Anyways, another one under the belt and everyone=99s safe.> > Douwe________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: carbon fiber part

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "wheelharp"
Does anyone here make, or know someone who can make up a custom carbon fibersolid rectangular bar? About =BC=94 X 1 =BD=94 by about 6=92 long?Douwe________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: carbon fiber part
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: carbon fiber part

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "taildrags"
I'm sending PM--------Jon JonesIronton, MORead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: carbon fiber part
matronics

Post by matronics »

Douwe; are you talking about a 'pultrusion' or a laid-up part? You could makea layup yourself, with a mold or form made by nailing or screwing some straightwooden pieces onto a long piece of plywood and then lining it with plastic sheetingso you could pop the part out after you build it up out of multiple resinedstrips of CF and it cures. Could be fun to clean up the edges afterwardthough... not sure planer knives could handle CF cleanly.--------Oscar ZunigaMedford, ORAir Camper NX41CC "Scout"A75 power, 72x36 Culver propRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Brodhead 2016

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: tonyp51qa
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: FBOscar, et al,I'm guilty of having become one of the very occasional readers of thePietenpol list. So just now read your posting.I've been tuning into the various facebook postings and enjoying the newsfrom Brodhead. It has been two years since my last trip to Brodhead.Living vicariously through the pictures and comments has been fun. I can'twait to be there again in person, which ... assuming work, flying, andeverything else that causes stars to misalign ... will definitely be in2017, at least that is my hope.Before my progress report, let me say how appreciative I am to everyonethat got Douwe's propeller fixed so quickly and him back into the air.That sort of pitching in continues to be something that totally impressesme about the folks that are drawn to Pietenpols.As for my progress, things are coming together very nicely, though moreslowly than I had originally hoped. I've attached a picture. In it you'llsee that the repairs to the fuselage are completed. Fabric is back onwhere it had to be removed to repair lower longerons. The gear is on. Thenew brakes have been installed. Not visible is the air in the brake linesthat needs to be bled and the gasket that needs to be replaced to fix aleak at the top of the right master cylinder. The engine mount wascompleted over the winter. You'll also see that I'm currently fabricatinga new cowling. That should be done by week's end, though I will still needto add some doublers around the valve cover and the holes where the exhaustpipes exit. Then painting of the cowl and nose bowl.The engine that is inside the cowling is a loaner, which is a visibleexample of just how great grass roots aviation people so often can be. Itwas loaned to me by a Tailwind builder to allow me to work on the cowling.Another friend loaned me an intake manifold spider. Someone else loaned mea MA3 carb. Below the carb is an air box, that I made to scale from balsawood. My engine, with fresh overhaul, should be arriving a week or twoafter the conclusion of Oshkosh.Once the engine arrives, I'll need to hook up controls, re-run fuel and oillines, connect wires, etc. Also, I've purchased a set of streamlinedstruts from Carlsons. Those will need to be trimmed, fitted, and painted.My original struts are in fine shape, but substantially heavier. I'm usingthe forced downtime to reduce weight in a bunch of different places andthat is one of them. The wings are ready to reattach now. They turned outto be basically unharmed. In total, there were only five small patchesthat had to be made to the wings. None that were very involved.Thanks for the inquiry. I'll send another report when there is somethingnew to add.Cheers, KenOn Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 10:27 PM, Ken Bickers wrote:> Oscar, et al,>> I'm guilty of having become one of the very occasional readers of the> Pietenpol list. So just now read your posting.>> I've been tuning into the various facebook postings and enjoying the news> from Brodhead. It has been two years since my last trip to Brodhead.> Living vicariously through the pictures and comments has been fun. I can't> wait to be there again in person, which ... assuming work, flying, and> everything else that causes stars to misalign ... will definitely be in> 2017, at least that is my hope.>> Before my progress report, let me say how appreciative I am to everyone> that got Douwe's propeller fixed so quickly and him back into the air.> That sort of pitching in continues to be something that totally impresses> me about the folks that are drawn to Pietenpols.>> As for my progress, things are coming together very nicely, though more> slowly than I had originally hoped. I've attached a picture. In it you'll> see that the repairs to the fuselage are completed. Fabric is back on> where it had to be removed to repair lower longerons. The gear is on. The> new brakes have been installed. Not visible is the air in the brake lines> that needs to be bled and the gasket that needs to be replaced to fix a> leak at the top of the right master cylinder. The engine mount was> completed over the winter. You'll also see that I'm currently fabricating> a new cowling. That should be done by week's end, though I will still need> to add some doublers around the valve cover and the holes where the exhaust> pipes exit. Then painting of the cowl and nose bowl.>> The engine that is inside the cowling is a loaner, which is a visible> example of just how great grass roots aviation people so often can be. It> was loaned to me by a Tailwind builder to allow me to work on the cowling.> Another friend loaned me an intake manifold spider. Someone else loaned me> a MA3 carb. Below the carb is an air box, that I made to scale from balsa> wood. My engine, with fresh overhaul, should be arriving a week or two> after the conclusion of Oshkosh.>> Once the engine arrives, I'll need to hook up controls, re-run fuel and> oil lines, connect wires, etc. Also, I've purchased a set of streamlined> struts from Carlsons. Those will need to be trimmed, fitted, and painted.> My original struts are in fine shape, but substantially heavier. I'm using> the forced downtime to reduce weight in a bunch of different places and> that is one of them. The wings are ready to reattach now. They turned out> to be basically unharmed. In total, there were only five small patches> that had to be made to the wings. None that were very involved.>> Thanks for the inquiry. I'll send another report when there is something> new to add.>> Cheers, Ken>> On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 10:48 PM, taildrags wrote:>>>>> A couple of things I'd like to post since there isn't much traffic on the>> list at present. First of all, has anyone heard how Ken Bickers is doing>> in the repairs to his airplane up in the Denver area, and his engine mount>> build for the O-200? Next, I always enjoy hearing from Jake Schultz and>> his beautiful round-engine, steel-tube frame Air Camper up in Washington.>> Any news from up there? Is the airplane still rolling on skinny plywood>> wheels? Jake has what may arguably be the cleanest and best organized>> workshop in the entire known universe.>>>> Last item, a public shout-out of thanks to Chris Tracy and Gary Boothe,>> neither of whom I have ever met in person, yet I feel like they are hangar>> mates and airport bums that I get to 'see' (virtually, via this list or>> email) whenever I want to say hey or ask a question. And they are both>> responsible for a certain 2-cylinder, 4-stroke engine of mine that is>> quietly waiting for me to start its next life, which will be on a Part 103>> ultralight. Imagine no biennial, no medical, no radios, no airport fences,>> minimal regulations, no nothing except fuel it up and go fly... all I need>> to do is get myself down to Gary's hangar and pick it up from where he's>> been storing it for me.>>>> -------->> Oscar Zuniga>> Medford, OR>> Air Camper NX41CC "Scout">> A75 power, 72x36 Culver prop>>>>>>>>>> Read this topic online here:>>>> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ______Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2016 05:16:45 -0500Subject: RE: Pietenpol-List: Brodhead 2016
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Brodhead 2016

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Ryan Mueller"
Hi Bill,I can answer your questions. It's clearly visible to me. He used T-88 to sealthe airbox and Velcro to hold the dog to the wall. I do that to my dog all thetime. :)--------Scott LiefeldFlying N11MS since March 1972Steel TubeC-85-12Wire WheelsBrodhead in 1996Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Brodhead 2016
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Boatright, Jeffrey"
Here are a few short clips from the dusk flights on Friday...The daring low level pass: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bz_-7gJUecFive ship flyover: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg8_YwbM1tkSix ship flyover: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvnopEqNTywRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Brodhead 2016

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Jeff Boatright"
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________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Brodhead 2016
matronics

Post by matronics »

[quote="Ryan Mueller"]Here are a few short clips from the dusk flights on Friday...Thank, Ryan. Those are GREAT vids!Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________