Pietenpol-List: BPA ressurection

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Steven Dortch
GREAT NEWS PAT!!Are you planning on continuing the newsletter or is that being replaced withthe new website?For some time I've been asking if I could help with the newsletter, orsomething to get the BPA resurrected and I'm SO glad you guys have been ableto step in and help.Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help with the newsletter,or rounding up articles, etc for the new site and the newsletter.I would love to see a well-done website that has a builder's section, asection with lots of pictures of piets and flying/building stories.Do you think there's any chance of getting permission from Grant to use someold Buckeye Pietenpol Association content? Nobody's had luck so far, butthere's some treasures there.Douwe________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: BPA ressurection

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Brian Jardine
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: BPA ressurectionPat you asked for input.I like the pretty pictures and short updates on the facebook page.I like the in depth discussions that take place on the Matronics page.I like the good long articles that are in the BPA newsletter.I like the ads that are in the BPA newsletter.I like opening our matronics emails and seeing subjects I did not ask forthat I needed to know about (is that a clumbsy sentence or what?the search function on MatronicsI like the feel of the BPA in my hand. OK I can give that up.Thinks I don't likeSilly fights over things that don't matter.the shortness of facebook postsSince you are doing the work I will let you alone.Blue Skies,Steve Dortchon year 3 of a 6 month restoration of a Pietengrega.On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 7:44 AM, Douwe Blumberg wrote:> GREAT NEWS PAT!!>>> Are you planning on continuing the newsletter or is that being replaced> with the new website?>>> For some time I=99ve been asking if I could help with the newsletter, or> something to get the BPA resurrected and I=99m SO glad you guys have been> able to step in and help.>>> Please let me know if there=99s anything I can do to help with the> newsletter, or rounding up articles, etc for the new site and the> newsletter.>>> I would love to see a well-done website that has a builder=99s section, a> section with lots of pictures of piets and flying/building stories.>>> Do you think there=99s any chance of getting permission from Grant to use> some old Buckeye Pietenpol Association content? Nobody=99s had luck so far,> but there=99s some treasures there.>>> Douwe>>-- Blue Skies,Steve D________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "M W Stanley"
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: BPA ressurectionSteve said it beautifully and completely.Ditto!John CoxOn Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 7:02 AM, Steven Dortch wrote:> Pat you asked for input.> I like the pretty pictures and short updates on the facebook page.> I like the in depth discussions that take place on the Matronics page.> I like the good long articles that are in the BPA newsletter.> I like the ads that are in the BPA newsletter.> I like opening our matronics emails and seeing subjects I did not ask for> that I needed to know about (is that a clumbsy sentence or what?> the search function on Matronics> I like the feel of the BPA in my hand. OK I can give that up.>> Thinks I don't like> Silly fights over things that don't matter.> the shortness of facebook posts>> Since you are doing the work I will let you alone.>> Blue Skies,> Steve Dortch> on year 3 of a 6 month restoration of a Pietengrega.>>> On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 7:44 AM, Douwe Blumberg > wrote:>>> GREAT NEWS PAT!!>>>>>>>> Are you planning on continuing the newsletter or is that being replaced>> with the new website?>>>>>>>> For some time I=99ve been asking if I could help with the newsletter, or>> something to get the BPA resurrected and I=99m SO glad you guys have been>> able to step in and help.>>>>>>>> Please let me know if there=99s anything I can do to help with the>> newsletter, or rounding up articles, etc for the new site and the>> newsletter.>>>>>>>> I would love to see a well-done website that has a builder=99s section, a>> section with lots of pictures of piets and flying/building stories.>>>>>>>> Do you think there=99s any chance of getting permission from Grant to use>> some old Buckeye Pietenpol Association content? Nobody=99s had luck so far,>> but there=99s some treasures there.>>>>>>>> Douwe>>>>>>>>>>>>> --> Blue Skies,> Steve D>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: BPA ressurection

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "tools"
Guys,I'm not building them yet, but I would like to know what the procedure is to fittinga standard dimension spar to a 612 Riblett design. Laminate a strip thefull length of the spar to fill 1/2" or so gap? Just use a small spacer blockon each rib? Should the spacer be on the top or the bottom?Any advice would be great.Thanks,BrentRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: BPA ressurection
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Riblett to Spar Fit

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Brent Wilson"
I think this is great news! And very appropriate to have it based in Brodhead.I, like most, enjoy the traditional bulletin board format. However, I can't standthe matronics software. It's just antiquated and not moderated. Modern bulletinboard software will enhance what folks like about matronics about a hundredfold. And then appoint some good reliable moderators, or do it in house.Search functions are better. Different boards for different topics. Easy pictureposting. MikeRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Riblett to Spar Fit
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: John Fay
Guys,I'm not building them yet, but I would like to know what the procedure is to fittinga standard dimension spar to a 612 Riblett design. Laminate a strip thefull length of the spar to fill 1/2" or so gap? Just use a small spacer blockon each rib? Should the spacer be on the top or the bottom?Any advice would be great.Thanks,BrentRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Riblett to Spar Fit

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Doug Bowman
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Riblett to Spar FitBrent,Have you already built the spars. If not, I would make the spars taller,which would increase their strength. I do not have the engineeringexpertise to compute how much.John Fayin PeoriaOn Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 11:03 AM, Brent Wilson wrote:> >>> Guys,> I'm not building them yet, but I would like to know what the procedure is> to fitting a standard dimension spar to a 612 Riblett design. Laminate a> strip the full length of the spar to fill 1/2" or so gap? Just use a small> spacer block on each rib? Should the spacer be on the top or the bottom?> Any advice would be great.> Thanks,> Brent>>> Read this topic online here:>> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ______Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2017 23:43:09 +0000 (UTC)
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: BPA ressurection

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "pweeden"
John, no I haven't built them yet, I am looking at a started project that has allof the ribs and center wing section built and the spars are "standard" sizeso they will have to be spaced.Terry, thank you for your comments. The spacer on the top does make sense now thatyou mentioned the force on the wing will come from the bottom.I am just starting down this road and will have many more questions I am sure.Thanks to both of you for your replays.BrentRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: BPA ressurection
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Jack Textor
I'll try to answer as many questions as I can here.Douwe:Yes, we plan on continuing the newsletter. John Hofmann sent his last one to theprinter this week and we plan to produce the quarterly newsletter after that.Hope to get two out before the Brodhead Piet fly-in in July. We welcome anyand all article submissions. bpa(at)pietenpols.org.Steve Dortch:I agree with your comments about the printed newsletter vs. Facebook vs. Matronics.Our hope is to continue with long in-deoth articles exclusive to membersin the newsletter. FB can be its own thing. We can continue with ads both in printand on the new website. I've never been a fan of the Matronics software,which is why we installed a modern forum program on the new website. I hope Ican drag people away from here and move discussions over there and hopefully getpermission to archive the entirety of this group on the BPA website. Then everythingis in one place.Tools:See above and check out the new forum:http://www.pietenpols.org/forumDoug Bowman:--Yes, there will be a Pietenpol Reunion at Brodhead, as always, July 20-23, 2017.--I just received the current membership roster and will be sending out a letteronce we figure out who is paid up and for how long. How the funding works outin the short term remains to be seen. We have a committed group at BrodheadAirport though and want this to succeed. Stay tuned!Pat WeedenRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Riblett to Spar Fit

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "taildrags"
Hey Pat,Not sure what may come out of it, but there is a lot of good stuff and a tonof great photos/info already on westcoastpiet.com run by Chris Tracy. He'sa good guy, maybe the two sites could collaborate, share info etc? it'sready-made content if you can work something out with him for the greatergoodDouwe________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Riblett to Spar Fit
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Charles N. Campbell"
I want to encourage us all to visit the new BPA website and utilize/supporttheir efforts. This is a good group of guys and I think in their hands theBPA will flourish again, but they need out support. Even though I'm a longtime user of this forum, it is admittedly outdated and clunky to say theleast. I feel that their "builders forum" area could replace this onegiving us a much more efficient and user friendly means to communicate.We'd then have a "builder-focused" group like this, and a more social/visualone on FaceBook.Give it a look see.Douwe________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: New piet builders forum

Post by matronics »

Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: New piet builders forumHow do I register?On Sun, Mar 5, 2017 at 11:08 PM, Steven Dortch wrote:> OK boys (and Kerri Ann), I registered on the new BPA forum.>> Come on in! The water is fine!>> Blue Skies,> Steve D>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: New piet builders forum

Post by matronics »

Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: New piet builders forumCharles, they have set a pretty low standard for membership. Perhaps youdid not meet the standard! LOLGo to http://www.pietenpols.org/ and click on register.It took me a while to poke around the site but I think it will be a goodchange.Blue Skies,Steve DOn Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 9:15 AM, Charles N. Campbell wrote:> How do I register?>> On Sun, Mar 5, 2017 at 11:08 PM, Steven Dortch > wrote:>>> OK boys (and Kerri Ann), I registered on the new BPA forum.>>>> Come on in! The water is fine!>>>> Blue Skies,>> Steve D>>>>-- Blue Skies,Steve D________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: dog67(at)aol.com
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: BPA ressurectionDouwe et al. Could someone write a tutorial to this site? Or better do avideo.Nothing in depth but I am a Charter member of the Luddite club, membershipnumber 1!I need to be led around by the nose with technology. I am stumbling aroundthe site now.I am pretty pleased with it.On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 8:57 AM, Douwe Blumberg wrote:> I want to encourage us all to visit the new BPA website and> utilize/support their efforts. This is a good group of guys and I think in> their hands the BPA will flourish again, but they need out support. Even> though I=99m a long time user of this forum, it is admittedly outdated and> clunky to say the least. I feel that their =9Cbuilders forum=9D area could> replace this one giving us a much more efficient and user friendly means to> communicate. We=99d then have a =9Cbuilder-focused=9D group like this, and a> more social/visual one on FaceBook.>>> Give it a look see.>>> Douwe>-- Blue Skies,Steve D________________________________________________________________________________Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2017 11:45:19 -0500