Landing Gear Location

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
Allen

Landing Gear Location

Post by Allen »

I'm about to install the ash crossmembers for the main gear. In Don Pietenpol's discussion in his documentation, he mentions locating the gear further forward for a Corvair installation with brakes. Is this what others have done? Of course since I have already built the sides, this moves the gear forward of the spruce cluster of struts on the sides. Stick with the plans?
taildrags

Re: Landing Gear Location

Post by taildrags »

Allen; in my opinion, if you haven't fabricated the landing gear legs yet, your best bet is to leave all the fuselage framing 'per plans' since the placement of the load transfer points to the structure are important. You can adjust or change the landing gear geometry when you fabricate the gear legs. There is an excellent series of articles by William Wynne about landing gear, axle placement, and CG that are a must-read on the subject before you build the landing gear.
EAB4

Post by EAB4 »

Hi Allen

the actual ash members stay in the per plans location. It is the axle of the landing gear that's moving forward.
As Oscar said, the weight and balance articles are a must read before fabricating the landing gear.

Earl
cantdrawatall

Post by cantdrawatall »

There is an excellent series of articles by William Wynne about landing gear, axle placement, and CG that are a must-read on the subject before you build the landing gear
WHere might I be able to find these articles? In the older issues of the newsletter?
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

Allen;

The set of articles used to be available through Doc Mosher, but it seems that he has not been reachable lately. However, here's the contact information from his website: https://sites.google.com/site/docspiets ... nd-balance .
EAB4

Post by EAB4 »

I think this has all the articles-
Attachments
Pietenpol_Weight_and_Balance.pdf
(1.52 MiB) Downloaded 396 times
at7000ft

Post by at7000ft »

Moved my axles 4 inches forward and has worked fine for 150 hours of flying (and my CG is in the forward area of the range). WW always refers people to pictures of Bernard's last Piet with the axles under the leading edges when people ask this question.

Rick H