Any Piet builders in Colorado

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
pilotstretch

Any Piet builders in Colorado

Post by pilotstretch »

New member here,

I just received my plans last week and to be honest I’m a little overwhelmed. I have a ton of question about the build and I think it would help if I was able to see a finished product to get a better understanding of how it all goes together. If there are any Piet’s in Colorado (preferably on the east side of the Rockies) I would appreciate it if someone would be willing to let me come take a look at theirs. You can dm at unifromaviator@gmail.com .

Joshua G
Looking at plans and making arrangements for a workshop
Crhill74

Re: Any Piet builders in Colorado

Post by Crhill74 »

There is one in Longmont I believe. The Colorado chapter of the Antique Airplane Association should have some knowledge.
Lownslow

Post by Lownslow »

Joshua, There are a couple of things you should do to start.
1. log onto the West Coast Piet site at westcoastpiet.com. Chris Tracy runs this site. There is tons of information on Pietenpols as well as hundreds of photos. The photos are not just of finished Pietenpols, but also construction photos.

2. log onto the Matronics Pietenpol site at http://www.matronics.com/searching/search.html This site is run by Matt Dralle. There is a search engine on this site that will allow you to search for answers to almost any technical issue with building a Pietenpol that has been asked in the last 10 or 15 years. An archived version of this website is also available on this website the Brodhead Pietenpol Association.
Good luck with your build! Be sure and enjoy your journey.

Rick Schreiber
NX478RS
Valparaiso, IN
pilotstretch

Post by pilotstretch »

Lownslow,

Thanks for the reply, I just started looking a pictures on westcoast Pietenpol yesterday. I haven’t heard of Matronics Pietenpol yet so I’ll go check them out. Thanks.
KenBickers

Post by KenBickers »

Joshua,

I completed my Piet in 2017 and am based in Longmont (KLMO). Mine is O-200 powered. Also, Rick Holland built and flies a Corvair powered Piet. His is based at Meadowlake (KFLY). I am generally around the airport on weekends and the occasional evening. Send me a note if you'd like to come see mine.

Cheers, Ken Bickers
F@brice

Post by F@brice »

I received my plans last week too. I very happy and the links are perfect to complete the plans. Thank you Lownslon.
This summer, I am going to go to Oshkosh Air Show. I hope there will be a Pietenpol stand.

Fabrice from France
tom kreiner

Post by tom kreiner »

Fabrice,

If you're coming all this way from France... I'd like to suggest you consider coming early enough to visit the Pietenpol Gathering in Brodhead, Wisconsin. Brodhead is just a couple easy hours drive from Oshkosh. The Piet gathering is the 4 days immediately prior to AirVenture in OSH, and the dates are July 18th - 21st. (AirVenture is the 22nd thru the 28th.)

Every year at Brodhead, you'll see numerous Piet's, maybe catch a ride, and see the various items builders have for sale. I've frequently seen Instruments, special fittings, ribs, and a host of other stuff.

If you're going to build a Piet, travelling to Brodhead for the gathering is a MUST DO.

Best of luck with your build!
Lownslow

Post by Lownslow »

Fabrice, I agree with what Tom Kreiner said. As much as I enjoy Oshkosh, if your are building a Pietenpol Brodhead is the place to go. Almost all of the technical pictures I have taken were done at Brodhead. You may even see a couple of uncovered Pietenpols at Brodhead.
Rick Schreiber
NX478RS
Valparaiso, IN
at7000ft

Post by at7000ft »

Joshua

Email me about meeting at my hanger at Meadow Lake (East of Colorado Springs) to see my Corvair/Pietenpol, bring your plans if you have questions, can do lunch too if you want.

Rick Holland
at7000ft@gmail.com
pilotstretch

Post by pilotstretch »

Rick,

Thank you for your offer, I sent you an email.

Joshua