Vertical Stabilizer Leading Edge Angle?

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
jdog0411

Vertical Stabilizer Leading Edge Angle?

Post by jdog0411 »

Hi everyone, first post. I am in the process of building a Vans RV14A, but am taking a bit of a break from that project and want to try something a bit different. Have always loved vintage aircraft, and I think I would enjoy building and flying a Pietenpol. I've got the plans and the spruce to build the vertical stabilizer, and have re-drawn the plans in full scale on paper using the measurements on the plans and in the manual. I'm trying to get a feel for how everything goes together in full scale before I transfer the drawing onto the jig board and start cutting spruce.

I think I have everything pretty accurate, but am not sure if I have the angle of the leading edge back toward the trailing edge correct or not. It's at about 70 degrees, and it looks like everything lines up but it's difficult to tell exactly using the plans. "Approximate" is probably good enough, but can anyone tell me the angle so I can ensure I have it sloped back correctly? Let me know if I need to be more clear on what I'm asking. Thank you!

Jeremy
PoconoJohn

Re: Vertical Stabilizer Leading Edge Angle?

Post by PoconoJohn »

Hi Jeremy,

Have fun building and keep it simple. Good luck.

John C
Last edited by PoconoJohn on Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
danoliver

Post by danoliver »

I just kind of guestimated mine by the drawings.
I went and took a measurement of it. Turns out it's just a smidge shy of 67 degrees.
That's pretty close to your guestimate.
See post-it below as to whether or not we're talking about the same angle.
IMG_7995(1).jpg
jeffreyK

Post by jeffreyK »

Mine has fabric on it and measuring from the leading edge to the base is 68 degrees. I'm sure you know that's the inside angle. The diagram that shows 67 degrees has the arrows on the outside which would actually be 113 degrees. Good luck with your project.
danoliver

Post by danoliver »

Good point J.K.!
My apologies for being obtuse.
See corrected post-it below.
IMG_7996.jpg
jdog0411

Post by jdog0411 »

Hi everyone,

Thank you for the replies! Very much appreciate the feedback. Yes, I am talking about the inside angle referenced on the post it note referenced by danoliver. Looks like somewhere between 67 and 70 degrees is in the ball park, so I'm happy with that. It also confirms the process I am using to interpolate missing information based on the measurements that are given for other dimensions on the plans.
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

From what I have drawn up in CAD as best I could piece it together from the plans, that angle is 68.51 degrees.
Piet_tail.JPG
Oscar Zuniga
Medford, OR
Air Camper NX41CC, A75 power
jdog0411

Post by jdog0411 »

Thanks for checking Taildrags!