Larger centre section

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
Zoomboy

Larger centre section

Post by Zoomboy »

Hi Everyone,

I’m considering making a wider wing center section to enable a larger fuel tank.
Had no luck so far finding any detail or plans for this idea.
I believe that Bill Rewey might have drawn up some plans for a wider center section.
Is anyone able direct me to where I might be able to buy/download these plans ?

Regards from Brian.
taildrags

Re: Larger centre section

Post by taildrags »

Zoomboy: if you'll scroll down through the topics on this forum, you'll find posts under "Tiger Moth style tank" or something like that. Several builders (Douwe Blumberg; Kevin Purtee) have bumped up the top of their centersection tanks to get increased fuel capacity. Douwe reported that his enlarged tank can hold something like 21 gallons, and the appearance is pretty cool too... like a de Havilland. Doing it this way lets you construct the wing centersection without modifications and that includes the ability to move the wing back to adjust the CG if needed. I think if you increase the width of the centersection, that moves the upper attach points of the cabane struts and removes some of the adjustability of shifting the wing.

Oscar Zuniga
Medford, OR
Air Camper NX41CC, A75 power
Zoomboy

Post by Zoomboy »

OK thanks Oscar. I’ll give that idea some thought.

Cheers.
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

Here's Douwe's:
Douwe.jpg
jeffreyK

Post by jeffreyK »

Brian,
Jack Phillips widened the center section of his Piet. He reworked the fittings for the wing mounting brackets. He lives near me and I have seen his beautiful plane. It did result in a wider wingspan. After considering different options I personally went with the hump similar to Kevin Purtee's Piet. You may want to chat with both of them if you can.
Jeffrey Kornblum