Jury strut fittings

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
Chuck in Indiana

Jury strut fittings

Post by Chuck in Indiana »

Yeah, I've searched, but haven't found any info to speak of on what they look like, and where they go on the wing. I just finished making the lift strut fittings, and thought I may as well do the jury strut stuff, too.
Of course, I could wing it (see what I did, there) but don't want to reinvent the wheel if prior knowledge is available.
taildrags

Re: Jury strut fittings

Post by taildrags »

I think there is agreement in saying that the jury struts should not intersect the lift struts in the middle, mainly because that just looks too much like something that could set up a harmonic vibration. Other than that, just look at photos of other Piets to see where others have placed them, especially examples that have been flying for a long time. I like to look at the pictures of Mike Cuy's airplane on Westcoastpiet.com because there are lots of them and they are detailed, plus he also has construction photos in there. Check out the one I've attached and you can get a good idea of where his are placed since you can count ribs by looking at the stitching.
Cuy_jury_struts.jpg
Oscar Zuniga
Medford, OR
Air Camper NX41CC, A75 power
Chuck in Indiana

Westcoastpiet.com
Wow! Now *that's* a treasure trove. Thanks, Oscar..
danoliver

Post by danoliver »

I have a note I wrote down on my drawings that says the jury struts should be 6” to 12” outboard of center per Bill Rewey. I remember I wrote that based on a write-up by Mr. Rewey, but can’t seem to find it anymore. Like Oscar, Bill talked about harmonics and such. Maybe somebody on here still has a copy they could share.
Chuck in Indiana

That's good enough for me. Thanks!